LengerichKA88

Badges and engine don’t match ID Plate

LengerichKA88

We have a Charger 10 that I’ve had on here and gotten help with, but I’d never really looked at the ID Tag. 

Today while looking around it I took note of the model number, so as to help with narrowing down parts in the future. The model number listed on the tag is 1-7931. 

After a google search, “1-7931” returns as a Charger 9. Would this be a case of using left over tags, or possibly an error?  The tractor has an HH100, and is badged as a Charger 10, but from the Charger 9 manual I found, I couldn’t find an engine model number listed, just “9hp”. 

Picture of the tag is included.

163A9C3B-E918-46A8-9DC3-81CF904E7CEA.jpeg

Edited by LengerichKA88

953 nut

I suspect that people who had a Kohler powered Charger 10 wouldn't get confused when ordering parts.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I suspect that people who had a Kohler powered Charger 10 wouldn't get confused when ordering parts.

I’ve not seen one with a Kholer. I’ve also not seen a Kholer listed as being put in the 9s/10s. Doesn’t mean they aren’t out there, but weren’t they predominantly Techumsehs?

Also, it’s not that I’d “get confused ordering parts”, but I’d not made a mental note of the model number, and on some listings the model number is the only reference to what machine it will fit, as opposed to the model “name”. 

Edited by LengerichKA88

pfrederi

WH put the HH100-115095B on Chargers and Raiders in 1968 and called them 9s. In 1969 same engine they called it  a Charger10.  Who knows why (or cares) it is a 10hp engine.

• Like 1

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

I’ve not seen one with a Kholer. I’ve also not seen a Kholer listed as being put in the 9s/10s. Doesn’t mean they aren’t out there, but weren’t they predominantly Techumsehs?

In 1972 Charger 10s had Kohlers...again who knows why it is what they bought ...maybe an issue of pricing from the engine manufacturer

• Like 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

Also, it’s not that I’d “get confused ordering parts”, but I’d not made a mental note of the model number, and on some listings the model number is the only reference to what machine it will fit, as opposed to the model “name”. 

Guess I was thinking of the Charger 12.

LengerichKA88
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Guess I was thinking of the Charger 12.

I could be wrong! 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Thats why I’m here, to learn

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Added your serial number to the list. Click on the picture.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
39 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Added your serial number to the list. Click on the picture.

Garry

Thank you Garry 

I asked my FIL about it, as he’s the one who went and picked it up. He said the PO wasn’t the original owner. So I guess it’s highly possible/ probable that someone had replaced the decals far enough back that with current wear and tear they just look original. 

• Haha 1

Lee1977
  • Who knows why they called a 10 HP a 9 HP. Could be they specified they need a 9 HP engine and Techumseh made them a good price on the !0 HP. We know even after changing models  Wheel Horse used up excess part with special models. The S-Series was built after they started the Black hood using hoods from the older C-Series.
Edited by Lee1977

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• LengerichKA88
      By LengerichKA88
      Hey all!!

Its been quite some time since I’ve been able catch my breath, let alone get on here long enough to post anything. 

Ive been extremely busy at work since the holiday season. (Big Box Distribution Center). Especially with everything going on currently, we’ve been working overtime and pushing production like crazy to restock the stores we service. I have, in a matter of months, worked my self to a merit position that is essentially an assistant managers position. 

Personally, life has been just as hectic. My wife’s grandmother moved in with us a few weeks ago, right before the COVID 19 really hit here in the states. She’s the one that had a stroke, and there have been several other incidents that have left her unable to live alone. Today, her sister and roommate for 15 years, passed away, as she had been having health issues as well and was hospitalized herself. My grandmother had a heart attack several weeks ago that led to the discovery of four major blockages, none less than 88%. She is (thank goodness) currently home and still “Fat and sassy”. But, things have been stressful to say the least. 

We found out Sunday that there was another employee in the warehouse that had tested positive. I called in last night to kinda weigh my options, as I now have two elderly, susceptible people, as well as two toddlers, in my house. A coworker texted me and told me that last night (I work 6p-6a) they were told two more had been quarantined. So, today I took a 30 day unpaid leave of absence! I’m not going to be responsible for killing my father in law or my grandmother in law. 

In an attempt to keep things light hearted and happy around here, I’m treating it as a vacation. Might as well right!? Haha. 

The man cub has expressed interest in working on the tractors, so this week sometime I think we might attempt to tackle the rewiring of the Charger that I abandoned in the fall. 

I also started another project with the neighbor using my grandpas old Snapper. We’re going to make it into a one man Mule/Dunebuggy mobile. 
      This is something that’s going to be long and slow, as the plan is to salvage and repurpose as much as possible. We’ve already stripped it down and gutted it for the most part, so now we HAVE to do something with it. 

For the next month or so, I should be around more. I’ve missed having the time to just sit and read and interact with you all, but I’m looking forward to hearing from you guys on my “vacation”. 
      Here’s some pics of where we’re at on the Snapper (NTBD) project.  

we’re going to extend it out the back a bit, simply for a bit of storage. The plan is to use 40mm ammo cans as fender tool boxes. Haven’t decided how to power it yet, but was thinking about going with a chain driven set up for simplicity. We’d like to keep the handle bars and throw a twist throttle on it. 
      Of course this could all change over the course of the build 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

@ebinmaine
      @pullstart

• LengerichKA88
      By LengerichKA88
      Hello all! Long time no see, I’ve started a new job that’s has me pretty much wiped out, so I haven’t been on or tinkered much lately. Today I wasn’t too sore to get motivated to have some “Dad time” so I figured I’d learn how to put the deck on my Charger 9 

I don’t know what I’m missing if I’m missing something.  The belt is the one that was on the deck when we got it last year, but the deck was off of the tractor, so I’ve never seen how it goes on. At this point I’m just trying to make sure I’ve got everything to connect this deck, and make sure I’ve done what I can on my own properly. 

I’d seen that some use a chain linkage instead of the bar or j Rod. I cut a piece of chain to make my own, just to see how it’ll work. So far I have it to where it does, ever so slightly raise the deck, so I need to play around with that some more. Since I seem to be headed in the right direction with that, I figured I’d try the belt routing to see how it goes and I’m now scratching my head. 

I’d looked through the files and some posts, but didn’t see what I needed to see to get a good visual.  If anyone could help me out with decent pictures, and if possible as close to nine as possible that would be great, but any clear visual one happens to know of would be great too! 

Thanks in advance 

• LengerichKA88
      By LengerichKA88
      I liked, but didn’t find an applicable thread, so I made a new post. 

We got a 69 Charger 10 last Friday. The brakes don’t really stop it, kinda slows it to an idle speed. Still too fast for the brakes to be engaged. FIL did some reading and it’s apparently the gears that stop the tractor, so now we’re looking at servicing and possible actually doing work on the trans. That’s fine, not a problem, figured we’d get into this eventually, so with the one known issue at hand, how would/have you gone about tackling this trans? 
      Trying to get voices of experience that might be able to save us a headache or two lol. TIA! 
    • Builderchris
      By Builderchris
      I need some help. I just purchased 3 garden tractors, plus implements, from a guy on Craigslist and I'm having difficulty identifying one of them. It looks to me like it's a C100, but honestly for all I know it could be a Raider10 or a charger10 just as easily. I'm really not sure. The tag under the dashboard reads, Model T10, Serial # 329650. When I googled Wheel Horse T10 I got nothing. Can one of you great Wheel Horse guru's help me out?

Thanks 
      Chris
    • Deadguy
      By Deadguy
      So, today two more horses followed me home.  These critters sure are friendly!  Somebody should have warned me that they breed like rabbits!  Anyways, the first is a B80 with the 8 speed and a 16hp Kohler.  The metal is straight and it runs strong.  It does need a governor adjustment and the voltage rectifier needs to be hooked up.  The tires look ok, but they are very hard and are starting to crack. The second is a Charger 10 with hydro trans, an 8hp Kohler that smokes a little, and duallies.  This tractor needs a new voltage rectifier, one new rear tire, and an engine rebuild or new engine.  These tractors came as a package deal with a bunch of parts, including a couple mule drives, a 30-some inch universal snow plow, and a 38" triple blade rear discharge deck.  $400 took it all home. How do you think I did?