dells68

Replacing 2 piece gas tank seal &@!?&@!

dells68

Well, being the lazy bones I am, I decided to use POR15 gas tank sealant to seal the 2 piece tank on Emory’s  633.  I had bought a couple of seals from Lowell at the Big Show, but was afraid I’d break a bolt off.  Well after having gas in the tank for a few weeks, it started to leak again.  I took a light and looked inside and found the sealant delaminating from the aluminum.  I have used it in metal car tanks with no issues and prepped this one by the directions, but it just didn’t seem to adhere to the aluminum.  Anybody else had this issue?  I did manage to get the tank apart to clean it with breaking only 2 bolts.  I drilled them out and retapped them.  Any ideas on a good sealant to use on the gasket to add a little more protection against leaks?  I can’t think of anything that would resist gas.

Edited by dells68
  • Sad 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Indian Head Gasket Sealant...https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-indian-head-gasket-shellac-compound/...unless you want something more pliable then we will have dig a bit deeper :confusion-confused:...

:text-yeahthat:

I'll second that. That was the first thing I thought of as well.

The only disadvantage I've ever known to Indian Head sealant is that if you want to disassemble the parts later on that can be a bit... ummmm..... Challenging.

• Haha 1

WHNJ701

are the gaskets still available?

dells68
10 minutes ago, jabelman said:

are the gaskets still available?

Yes.  @wheelhorseman, Lowell keeps them in stock.  Check out his website.  Great guy with a lot of really hard to find items.

dells68
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Indian Head Gasket Sealant...https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-indian-head-gasket-shellac-compound/...unless you want something more pliable then we will have dig a bit deeper :confusion-confused:...

Thanks Jeff!  I’ll stop by Advance and pick some up today or tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

I've used a few different brands with good results but the one I like the best is Damon Products Red-Kote. I did another 854 tank with it recently. The key to any of them is preparation. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

moe1965

I recently used a product called Hi Tack to form  a gasket that is gas resistant I also used a product called Red Kote you can find it on eBay to add inside the tank and as a sealant I used the red kote on a two piece aluminum tank on a gravely 5 years ago and still holding strong

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

dclarke

I had good luck on an 854 tank using a new gasket sealed on both sides with "Yamabond #4". It's available from the jungle site or a Yamaha dealer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbupright:  Denny beat me to it. 

Related image

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I’m glad to see this post come up.  Caleb’s Comanche tank started leaking right before Christmas and so we will be needing to do this before spring.  Basketball will be done next week which hopefully will increase our shop time...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

buckrancher

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I'm glad this came up. I have a 753 that I have been thinking about replacing the tank gasket just because it's old. It doesn't leak so maybe I'll just live by that old saying.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.   

• Like 2

Achto

You could always take the route that @pullstart took with his latest build. Looks like a forever fix to me.:handgestures-thumbupright:

14A2B05A-8036-42E4-9853-36DB1F2C4858_jpeg_063797915580cedbd6bf1c003e399d7d.jpg.525cc6f74a784ea155f86e0a76666dad.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

X3  with Yamabond #4. Stands up to gasoline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

Interesting thread. We have replaced gasket on the 753 here without any sealant, and it has been over two years totally bone dry with no leaks.

• Like 1

dells68

Thanks for the help guys!  I lined a 754 tank at the same time, but may have to do the same to it.  I almost think the POR15 was a bad batch or maybe had been frozen.  I loved it for use in my VWs, this was a different experience.  I’ll post some pics when I get things buttoned up.  Might be this weekend before I get a chance.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Aviation Permatex.  

My Dad used it on small aircraft and since it was in the shop we used it on farm equipment and autos, and everything.  Once you smell this stuff you will never forget the smell.  No it's not terrible, just very identifiable.  

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvgHwdrTcYgpac2XaBy

• Like 2