Daron1965

Thoughts on Yanmar YM2000

Daron1965

Hello all, 

A local person has a Yanmar YM2000 with 476hrs, on working hour meter for sale.  It comes with a sitrex 6ft finish mower,  with extra set of new blades, set of new mower wheels, and belt and a 6ft rear blade.  He is the original owner.  He is asking $2400 and is negotiable on price. 

What can you all tell me about Yanmar?

What would be a good price? It seems to run well,  and looks taken care of. 

Thank you,  Daron 

oliver2-44

That would be a really good price in my area.  But i think small tractor prices are higher here due to Texas's good economy and a lot of small acreage tracts

Edited by oliver2-44

Tractorhead

Hi Daron,

i think for that price you can't make an mistake.

Depending what you want to have it for.

I purchased last week an Iseki TX1300, and the Technics isn't extrem different.

But while i'm looking, i also take an eye on Kubotas and Yanmars.

The technic itself is nearly similar and made for Working.

I choosen lastly an 4WD, because of several reasons, it makes more sense to me.

The Yanmar, you described has 20 HP Dieselengine, that should be more as enough for most issues but only Rear wheel drive.

if the PTO is right turn, you can use a lot of Addons for small tractors, they're available in mass.

For adapting on maybe worse PTO- connector, there are some Adapters available for Standart Connections.

A highlight is the 3Point lift, they have, shall be usable for about 300-500Kilos maybe more.

As long as the Dieselengine itself is healthy (start at cold temps) this are real workbeasts.

Especially, if you know the Owner, and he has a bit taken Care of it, you got a longterm brutforce Workhorse.

The Engine self is with small modifications used in several things like Generators, Boatengines and for Standing engines.

They are rocksolid, so to get parts for them, should not be a problem.

The technic itself is real low- tech but highly robust.

Here over the big Pond they where dealed at about 3000Bucks and up...

Edited by Tractorhead
Misspelling
  • Like 1

Mows4three

Hey Daron!

Hooe all is well with you. 

I just left you a voicemail.  I read your message here quickly last evening and thought you were still negotiating on the IH 234.  

Sorry about that.  

I am a big proponent of Yanmars.  My exposure to the tractors comes through two friends that swear by them.  They always took care of them and changed fluids and filters on a regular basis.  Also, they worked them within their capabilities.

Another friend ran three cylinder Yanmar power units hooked to an electric generator at his camp pretty far back in the Allegheny Mountains.  He bought them used but with service records.  Again, he gave them regular service and he never had issues that I was aware of.  In fact, he had three of the same model of Yanmar generator. One was a backup that he would run when he took the first one out of service for maintenance.  The third one was for parts and I don’t ever recall seeing it used for this.  

Cheers!

Dave 

Daron1965
13 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Hey Daron!

Hooe all is well with you. 

I just left you a voicemail.  I read your message here quickly last evening and thought you were still negotiating on the IH 234.  

Sorry about that.  

I am a big proponent of Yanmars.  My exposure to the tractors comes through two friends that swear by them.  They always took care of them and changed fluids and filters on a regular basis.  Also, they worked them within their capabilities.

Another friend ran three cylinder Yanmar power units hooked to an electric generator at his camp pretty far back in the Allegheny Mountains.  He bought them used but with service records.  Again, he gave them regular service and he never had issues that I was aware of.  In fact, he had three of the same model of Yanmar generator. One was a backup that he would run when he took the first one out of service for maintenance.  The third one was for parts and I don’t ever recall seeing it used for this.  

Cheers!

Dave 

The owner of the 234 actually decided to go UP on price,  not down.   Lol,  so I walked away from that. 

If the weather is good this weekend,  I plan on going to get the Yanmar.  

I did a lot of research,  and they seem like a good and strong little tractor.  Parts seem to be very available, and it seems to be a straight forward, no frills design. 

Thanks,  Daron 

• Thanks 1

Mows4three

Daron, 

I really expect you will will be happy with the Yanmar.   Too bad about the 234.   I'm partial to IH tractors, even if the Case name is slapped on them, too.

Shoot me some pictures when you get it back to your place.

Stay warm, stay dry and stay happy!

Cheers!

Dave

Tractorhead

Hope you get same grin spending machine as i got now.

👍

Daron1965

I'm hoping the cold rain and sleet goes away.  I sure would like to spend some time on it,  if I bring it home this weekend. 

Tractorhead

Cool, wanne see some Pics From pickup👍

I hope i found some time to rework my Plow, just because to be prepared.

For this Weekend, forecast tells some Sun,  but next week maybe Snow again...

But they're wrong the last week, so i'll think better to be prepared...😎

Have some Fun & greets over the big Pond.

Stefan

Keith

I believe Yanmar tractors with a 4 digit model number are grey market - if you are concerned about that.  I'm not sure about the YM2000.   The 

difference may be that the grey market version has multiple speed rear pto whereas the U.S. marketed version has a single speed rear pto.

In my opinion buying a grey market Asian tractor isn't a deal breaker if its basically the same as a U.S. model.  I believe you can get parts.
Ask the seller, they ought to tell you what they know about its official designation.

Dakota8338

Hoye Tractor Parts, Inc located 2099 U.S. Highway 287E, Iowa Park, TX 76362 [Phone # 904-592-0181] is very knowledgeable of Yanmar Tractors, both the USA models and the 'Grey' market tractors.  I have not been to their web site recently (and plugging in Hoye Tractors  will take one to their wed site), haven't needed anything, but their web site has had a very informative tutorial on the Yanmar 'Grey" market tractors.  They tell all, the good, bad & ugly concerning many models both sold here and the 'grey' tractors.  They are nice folks to do business with, and I have found them very helpful.  I inherited a 240D, and IIRC the YM2000 was sold here and is one of the better compact Yanmar Tractors.  I urge you to visit the Hoye Tractor website and do some reading to assist you decision in making this purchase, unless you have already made said purchase.  Regardless, anyone contemplating a Yanmar purchase the Hoye Tractor site will be a very good source to consult. 

Daron1965

It finally made it home.  Did some more haggling on price.   I was able to get everything listed in my 1st post,  plus,  2 new oil filters,  2 air filters,  a bucket of 303 hydraulic fluid,  and complete parts book. The rear blade barely fit in the back of my truck.  Great person to deal with.  We settled on $2200

It will need a few odds and ends I'm sure.  Needs a rubber hood hold down strap,  steering wheel cap,  and a good cleaning. 

This is my first diesel,  so any advice on what to do,  aka tinker with will be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

IMG_20190223_132245.jpg

IMG_20190223_132231.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Looks good from the pics as well as decent price...use a 15w40 Diesel oil most hear would say Shell Rotella, I use Mobil Delvac, now with the fuel I add the Power Diesel Services additives, change fuel filters minimum every other oil change if not every oil change, and keep the air filter clean/blown out , check the antifreeze with a hydrometer maybe even just go ahead and change it out for posterity...https://powerservice.com/products/...

https://www.mobil.com/en/mobil-delvac/products/engine-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-1300-super...enjoy your new toy... May I suggest looking into a front snow/dozer blade over the rear blade for snow removal duties.

IMAG4049.jpg

IMAG2607.jpg

Keith

Great tractor.  Check out Hoye tractor.   The availability of aftermarket Yanmar parts is an advantage over Kubota.    Many boast on how they beat on these tractors and they don't break.  I suggest favoring respect over abuse and it'll treat you well.

Edited by Keith
Hoye
  • Like 1

Daron1965

Thanks,   I was just on Hoye site.  Ordered new fuel filter,  and plastic housing and o ring.   I plan on starting on it in the morning with oil change,  hydraulic oil change,  clean the screen etc.   Looking forward to the spring. 

• Excellent 1

Tractorhead

Cool machine you got now!

i would change the Engineoil depending on Season.

I found in Winter the 15W40 seems to be to thick for Winter use below 5*C.

So the Oil will be a bit like Honey.

I changed mine to 10W40 simple Mineral Oil for Diesel Engines and it fireup very easy.

Don't forget in colder envoirements to use Winterdiesel.

If it stay's bit longer, mic bit petroleum in Diesel, to prevent paraffin separation.

or better drain Fuel and refill with Winterdiesel.

My suggestion is change all Fluids and Filters and make a marker on the Engine for your own verification.

if you change Dieselfilter, just bleed complete on the Filter and finally on injection pump.

then pull Gas to Stop and Pull the Starter for about 20sec, to bleed any airbubbles via injection pump and passing to Fueltank.

Give the Starter bit time to cool down. About 30 sec.

Then throttle to max and pull the Starter until you see light white clouds out of the Exhaust.

If you see them, preglow for maybe a minute and fire up with throttle on max.

your Engine shall start after 2Cranks and runns a bit woobly.

if the Engine starts, reduces carefully the throttle to half, until the Engine runs clean and smoothley.

(don't forget the Diesels runs a bit rougher than a Petrol engine)

if the engine runs smooth, pull throttle to idle and keep it there until engine is warm.

At the Hydraulic Fluid, there are several different meanings, 

ask 2 persons, you get 3 meanings....

if your tractor is similar to mine( hydraulic fluid is also Gearoil) i would suggested to use

15W30 with Hydraulic usability. Some of the Agripart dealers shall give you the right Oil.

Nice rig ! 

Have a lot of Fun

Edited by Tractorhead
Hydoiladdon

Okie B60

Just keep a moderate load on the engine while using it. Mowing too fast will easily overheat the engine. Those little diesels will get hot with too much extended load on them. It's been my experience with Yanmars that they are well built tractors. And cheaper cost than the popular color tractors. I wish I had it!