briankd

hood latch rod

briankd

restoring my horse and the hood latch rod is worn into about. i bought some round stock to replace it along with some acorn nuts that screw onto the outside of the hood onto this rod. the holes in hood Waller out bad and i welded them shut and re-drilled them the original rod had machined step on outside when you tightened the nut it held rod tight. i was thinking about using small flat washers and welding them onto rod on the inside of hood so when tighten nut it has something to tighten against. i don't know if this will work if the flat washers will interfere with the hood stand.

anyone redone one of theses hood rods? any thoughts on this appreciated thanks Brian     

KC9KAS

Just thread the rod a little farther and add a nut to the inside of the hood as a "stop".

• Like 2

roadapples

Or only thread it enough so the nut tightens were you want it...

Ed Kennell

I usually glue a 1/8 X 3/8  strip of rubber weather strip inside the hood in front of the rolled edge eliminating any metal to metal contact and rubbing of the  paint.

If the sides need pulled in to make slight contact with the rubber,  you can shorten the rod to move the acorn nuts in or add a sst flat washer under the acorn nuts.

• Like 2