WHGuy413

How did it all start???

roadapples

Dad had a 76 A90. Still up at Moms. Then about 20 years ago a friend showed me his 72 Raider 10, with deck and snow blower. I told him if he ever wanted to sell I'd be interested. Soon after he said it was really to big for his small yard and we made a deal.

I got on interweb looking for an owners manual. Typed in Wheel Horse and found all kinds of pictures of "lawn mowers" all fixed up, this is my herd, etc. Had no idea people were silly enough to get so wrapped up in " lawn mowers". Welllll.......:hide:

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

dells68

Wait a minute Jay @roadapples, who you callin’ silly?  I might resemble that remark in many ways.  Heck, I’m the one who was so excited to see Emory ride the tractor he bought at the show for the first time that I couldn’t remember your name☺️!   I got hooked on them riding a vertical shaft my grandfather had with him riding in the wagon.  Still got that wagon!  Tractors (also had an rj58) slipped away from me though.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS

I was given a B-80 from my wife's nephew. As I was searching for information, I too was directed to Red Square. I just "lurked" for a while then got active on the forum & in purchases....13 tractors later, it is all history now!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

moe1965

Bought my first one five years ago on fast track auction just to buy and flip it for a few bucks raider 10 with a mower deck not knowing any history on it. Paid 35 bucks for it brought it home and it fired right up. Gave her some new paint and still have it along with a few more. 

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

AHenry014

Like many here, i caught the bug from my Dad, but it took a while, and ill explain.  He bought a 1988 310-8, 37" SD, and snow thrower before i could remember. I have a photo somewhere of me on it about 15years ago in pristine condition.  I used that tractor constantly, helping dad around the yard for many years.  I remember "blasting" through the gears on the road without using the clutch and doing wheelies anytime that dad wasnt looking.  Once the snowblower failed and the 37" SD started to rust away, my dad purchased a 314-8 with a 48" SD, tiller, and plow.   The 310 got parked under the deck, i moved out, and it was forgotten until many years later.  A couple years ago, a good friend of mine was getting married and had a bachelor party he dubbed "tractorpalooza".  The party consisted of a morning woods ride, where IIRC about 15-20 tractors went offroading for about 4 hours.  Around noon-1pm, we all convened for lunch and started a poker run, where more people joined.  30+ tractors went to 5 different houses all across town (small backwoods town) and received food, drink, and a poker card.  The last house, where we received the last card, is where we did a tractor pull event for the night.  We have done this event for 3 years in a row so far.  So prior to the event, I called my dad and said "hey, is the wheel horse still under the deck?", he responded by saying "yes, can you please get that thing out of my yard?!".  At that point it was dubbed the "tetanus steed".  Most of the tins were rusted to the point where no more red was to be seen.  One floorboard was collapsed and the other wasn't far behind.  I cleaned the carb and the fuel pump and had it running in no time.  My first tractorpalooza event was where the bug really caught me.  Due to the state of disrepair, the tetanus steed was retired after its first event.  I removed the engine (that my dad had had rebuilt, it ran amazing) along with some other parts, and sent the rest to the scrapper (i regret this big time).  Soon after its retirement I bought my GT1100, and since have had (in no particular order) two different 312-8's, a 856, a 314-H, a 418-C, and a GT-1600.  The engine from the tetanus steed made it into the 314-H, which i bought without an engine, but not before inquired with all of you guys is the M10 would be an easy transplant into the GT1100, which didnt happen. 

A friend of mine, who is into Cub's, is jealous of how helpful and resourcefull RedSquare is.  Thank you all for your help with my projects!

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

ohiofarmer

After we bought our house in the country, i was mowing two yards with a 10 HP Sears suburban. The engine needed a rebuild, and I spent way too much on that.  I started mowing the in-laws yard and the Sears /Tecumseh needed constant maintenance.   We got a used 520 and mowed that lawn like a boss. I also bought a 416-8 new, and it only has 200 hours on it now.

I was looking for a cheap but decent tractor to use on the other farm and found a Raider10.  It is like a pit bull for the rough stuff compared to the newer WH. with two shorter belts driving the mower blades, it will walk through the longer grass without burning up belts.  Then I got hooked on the b and c series from the 70's.  so simple to work on and tough as well.

i blame you guys for n+1 being just enough tractors, however

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

JoeM

Bought this place in 84, didn't think the yard was that big a deal, 5+ tanks of fuel in the push mower, thought.............this ain't going to work!

Picked up a used Monkey Wards, down the road used it for three or 4 years, The hill side killed it.

I was at work and a guy there worked part time at a WH dealer. I told him about needing a mower. He said they had a real nice 1975 B100A cheap and he would even deliver it. I bought it!

I do remember needing a hub cause the key failed. There was a dealer about a mile and a half from me. I kind a knew the guy. Went in to get the parts ordered and he said "you know I sell new ones, and that keeps the economy going" , I said well "what would you do" fix it or trade it in, His wife was there and she blurted out "he'd fix it", he looked at me and said " what parts you need?"

I did replace one deck and the engine. Ran it up until 5 years ago, put the engine on another. Still running.  

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

ohiofarmer
5 hours ago, bmiller0457 said:

The Janitor in my elementary school (mid 70's) mowed with a d250, always liked the look

Borrowed my uncles C81 this past spring 2018, I now have over 22 Wheel Horses as of Jan. 2019

Never gave back the C81 either :D

:bow-blue: Two words----just wow! :bow-blue:         And I thought that I was buying "too many"----

• Like 3
  • Haha 1