hucksterfool

d180 wont move

hucksterfool

I have a d180 18 auto.  Been working fine.  Recently, it stopped moving forward and reverse.  It growls when i engage but barely has enough strength to move.  What could be the problem.   I checked the forward/reverse controls good.  the rear is full of oil.

Is there another location to add hydro oil? or just thje rear dipstick.  Tractor was working good, but all the sudden wont move like low pressure.  runs good, shaft is good and spinning to pump..

rjg854

:WRS:  I'm not familiar with the D series, but I'm certain someone here is, and should be able to help you out.

Sarge

Don't continue to try to move it - most likely the flywheel to pump coupling has stripped and destroyed the splines on the pump shaft. There are no new couplings available unless you can get lucky and find a new old stock one - otherwise, it is only a used, worn part. You can check it by turning the engine slowly with the crankshaft and shine a light down on the pump shaft - if it doesn't move, that is the problem. As to the pump shaft, LJ Fluid Power in Michigan has a new part available that they had made - $180 or so. Most just source a good used pump. Spend some time searching, there are numerous threads on repairing these things - none are easy nor fun at all - there is nothing on a D series that is easy to work on due to its design. One sure way to know if the coupling has failed is the loss of the hydraulic lift - that should tell you the pump is not being driven.

Be very careful trying to move that tractor if it is not running/working - you must open the tow valve first that is located on the left side of the dash console, it should be marked if the decal is still there. 

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

hucksterfool

Thanks I’ll check that out. The lift pump working fine.  If I am off the tractor it will move. If I am seated on it it try’s but just growls. Kinda like loss of pressure. I will check out the spline tho. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Make sure one of the rear axles is not spinning in the wheel hub. There is a Woodruff key between the two that can shear resulting in a loss of drive. The Woodruff identification is RX and 1/4" x 2-3/4". I do not know if that is straight or half-round.

Garry

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@hucksterfool :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Keep us posted as to what you find on your "D"

hucksterfool

I don’t think spline is stripped. Also the a the axle is fine. There not spinning. It is almost like the emergency brake is on. The lever is working. 

pfrederi

What is the year /model number.  18 Autos and Early D's had three slots for the motion control lever.  Is that what you have.  They had a different linkage and parking brake activator.  The parking brake is just that only used when parked. it is a pawl if you use it to stop the tractor it gets torn up and the metal shaving damage the hydro.  The 3 slot version was prone to that issue.

hucksterfool

73-74 I think. It only have a engage disengage lever

pfrederi

Do you have the parking brake lever like first picture??

Did yo check the tow valve? second picture?

You can download the service manual here

It has diagnostic charts like these

Brake Handle Off.jpg

IMG_3358 (1024x768).jpg

push.JPG

push 2.JPG

• Like 1

hucksterfool

No I don’t have that brake. Mine is on floor with engage and disengage. I do have tow valve and it is closed.  Tractor was working fine and started acting up. I assume the fluid fill is the one in rear diff

pfrederi

If you are talking about the pedal on the left side (see pic 2) all that does is force the motion control lever to the neutral position.  If you do not have the knob under the instrument panel then your parking brakes is engaged when you pull the motion control lever in into the lower of the two slots.  The linkage may have slipped and things are not engaging properly.  Linkages on a D can be real fun to adjust.

The only fluid fill is the dipstick

Edited by pfrederi

hucksterfool

I’ll upload some photos. I have pto level on left. Forward /reverse on right.  Emergency brake on floor. The controls for movement are good. Moves full forward and full backwards. 

pfrederi

I will get some later also.

Does you motion control have slot where the blue ink is???

Inkedspeed_LI.jpg

• Like 1

hucksterfool

Yes that is the lever I have. It controls the pump forward reverse which I can see full movement on. 

EE0F09B9-F186-4BA8-A049-2DBD1079E863.jpeg

pfrederi
1 hour ago, hucksterfool said:

Thanks I’ll check that out. The lift pump working fine.  If I am off the tractor it will move. If I am seated on it it try’s but just growls. Kinda like loss of pressure. I will check out the spline tho. 

Just to be sure Sarge is talking about the mid mount and 3pt not your FEL.  Stand on the 3 point will it pick you up quickly?

If you don't have it the owners manual

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

hucksterfool

I don t hAve the 3point on it. I have a loader. 

Runs off off front pump off pto. 

I can mode mode the three point cylinder and see it move. It is slow however. 

hucksterfool

If I jack the rear wheels up off group. They both move. The deferential is working also. However is I even put my foot on the wheel I can stop it. It is like no pressure or not enough getting to the rear pump. Where can I hook a gauge to it to check  Pressure. I am thi king front pump went out. It has a loader on a  aux pto pump

maybe the extra weight wore it out?

pfrederi

The two levers on the left of the instrument panel one does the midmount lift the other the 3 point lift.   They are powered by the charge pump which is part of the hydro pump at the rear of the engine.  If they are working slowly/weakly there very probably is an issue with that charge pump.  There is a pressure test in the manual I put the link in Post #10 above. Hope you have a warm place to work.  You have to pull the battery out to get to the port you need for the test..

test1.JPG

test2.JPG

pfrederi

If this problem was of sudden onset I am thinking the charge pump relief valve spring may have broken (or possibly the implement relief valve spring). 

• Like 1

hucksterfool

Where are the relief valves located. I’ll remove and inspect. This was all the sudden event. Was working fine then stopped. 

hucksterfool

image.jpg

pfrederi

The charge pump relief is located on the pump body above the tow valve.  It may be possible to get it out with out pulling the whole hydro pump.  i have been told that but i have never done it I have always had to pull the pump.  I am pretty sure the implement one cannot be done that way.

Sarge pointed out the D is not the easiest to work on.  I am convinced when they were built they started with a guy holding the pump the built the tractor around it.

pfrederi

Charge valve is circled on your picture  Implement is opposite

Inkedimage.jpg.7eab798e130face9bfe4a02c31f039af_LI.jpg

pump 1.JPG