Pullstart

6” x short air filter?

Pullstart

I have limited real estate between Frank’s engine and his grille.  I’d really love to find a 6” OD by 1” high or less air filter.  Anyone have any ideas?  I might just have to swing in the parts store and snoop around...  the one I have is 1-3/4” high.  That extra 3/4” would be amazing for fitment.

872A18F3-DB5F-4553-A1D4-30659DE4FA84.jpeg

wallfish

K91 air filter? What engine are you working with? I've run them on 8 hp Kohlers with no issues.

• Like 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

K91 air filter? What engine are you working with? I've run them on 8 hp Kohlers with no issues.

K241?  10 horse.  I pulled my K 181 assembly off Putt Putt and it’s much different.

wallfish

That's too big for a real small K91 filter. What about a GT14 intake manifold? it puts the filter out the side

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

That's too big for a real small K91 filter. What about a GT14 intake manifold? it puts the filter out the side

If it would clear the light...  maybe.  I thought about doing a “body drop” to the filter base too.

wallfish

Had one engine where the PO made his own intake out of rectangle steel tube. He welded covers on the ends and just drilled the holes to connect it. He did a good job too as it looked and worked good. The filter was still the same direction not on a 90 deg angle to the carb. Is that wht you mean by "body drop"

Pullstart

I’ve got an inch and a half between the filter base and grille, approximately.  A 1” element would do the trick and give a little wiggle room...

89838B11-C41B-484D-A04D-A7B798DE75A9.jpeg

5DFF5C23-CE67-4B6E-86D2-855147CE3CC3.jpeg

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Had one engine where the PO made his own intake out of rectangle steel tube. He welded covers on the ends and just drilled the holes to connect it. He did a good job too as it looked and worked good. The filter was still the same direction not on a 90 deg angle to the carb. Is that wht you mean by "body drop"

Maybe “frenching” is the proper term.  Section the carb mount out of the base, give it a 1/2” or so spacer, weld it up.  Essentially bringing the filter assembly over the carb more.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

Any way to possibly adapt a rectangular filter off of another engine? Run it length wise across the front. 

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, KyleLengerich said:

Any way to possibly adapt a rectangular filter off of another engine? Run it length wise across the front. 

Anything’s possible, I suppose.

I did have a bit of an “ahah” moment just now, the hood had a pretty wicked crease in it that I just tapped out.  It seemed to help.

you can see it in the full size pic before, tapped out in the zoomed in ones.

A80572E2-30EA-417A-98A8-D2439E24BEA2.jpeg

668F70B7-D28B-46CB-AA7A-495D3EF5DC90.jpeg

D68000D2-3AB7-40BE-98F6-148D504B632B.jpeg

• Like 2

wallfish
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Maybe “frenching” is the proper term.  Section the carb mount out of the base, give it a 1/2” or so spacer, weld it up.  Essentially bringing the filter assembly over the carb more.

That would be a cool mod.

Pullstart
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

That would be a cool mod.

Plus allow the correct amount of airflow, eh?  

I am trying to do the all assuming I’ve got the hood in the correct position, without a tank handy to mount it....  just trying to press on, while waiting for a pretty critical part.

wallfish
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Plus allow the correct amount of airflow, eh?

yeah. plus you need somethin' to do while waiting. :ychain:

• Haha 1

Pullstart

If I can keep this all stable... I might give a spare based a whirl one of these days.

9ED27AD2-4082-4514-8098-91A19E73D663.jpeg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Would this help?         Without the light of course!

IMG_6890.JPG.8c72b378f8fcfd6afb6721bb2acf0288.JPG

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

If I can keep this all stable... I might give a spare based a whirl one of these days.

9ED27AD2-4082-4514-8098-91A19E73D663.jpeg

You got a drill press ? Clamp the air filter part securely and let er rip. 

bc.gold

If I were cutting a lot of grass or doing garden work I would toss the paper element air filter then install an oil math type. Your engine will reward you with a thousand more hours of service.

In the day almost every most industrial engine came with an oil bath air filter.

air.gif

gwest_ca

Click on the picture for dimensions.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, pullstart said:

Just screw the base plate to an old piece of plywood and stand on it while running the hole saw.

Or get one from a 312, they are already recessed.

Wheel-Horse-312-8-Tractor-Mower-Kohler-M12-Magnum-12HP-Engine-Air-Cleaner-Base

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You got a drill press ? Clamp the air filter part securely and let er rip. 

2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Just screw the base plate to an old piece of plywood and stand on it while running the hole saw.

I was thinking I might be able to get by screwing it to a 2x4 then clamping to the drill press.  I’ll go slow, use oil, and go slow. 

Thanks for the link Garry, that confirms that the filter I have is the shortest 6” OD available.  

1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Click on the picture for dimensions.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

Sorry for that small picture of the 312 air cleaner base, :confusion-confused: don't know how that happened.

s-l1600.jpg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Sorry for that small picture of the 312 air cleaner base, :confusion-confused: don't know how that happened.

s-l1600.jpg

Ooooooooohhhhhh....

• Like 2

WHGuy413

I will try to venture out to the garage today. I'm home sick. The stock air filter on my 603 didn't fit for some reason. A little designing and my dad machined me a housing to fit a small rectangular one from a Briggs engine.

• Like 2

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

I will try to venture out to the garage today. I'm home sick. The stock air filter on my 603 didn't fit for some reason. A little designing and my dad machined me a housing to fit a small rectangular one from a Briggs engine.

Get well soon..

• Haha 1

LengerichKA88
31 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

Here I thought I had an original idea 😂

hope you get to feeling better, but I’m curious as to how, if at all, it affected performance? Was there trial and error with different sizes, or did it function properly with the first one you put on? 

Sorry to derail Kevin, I got to thinking about it after I posted and wondered what, if any performance changes it would cause.

• Haha 1