Firebug

D 200 disappointment

Firebug

Well I finally got my d 200 back together and ready to dig out from the weekend storm. I didn’t get 5 feet out of the barn and was stuck. Got it freed up and made it 10 feet before it happened again. I’m pretty frustrated with it, got the big Ag tires and filled them with washer fluid and all it does is spin. I have a set of chains but they are for the smaller tires so they don’t fit. And then I found out the new fuel valve I put ini is still leaking. About ready to throw my arms up for the day

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Digger 66
50 minutes ago, Firebug said:

About ready to throw my arms up for the day

Sometimes that's the best thing you can do .

Things will look better tomorrow .

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Take a break. Look at it again tomorrow. A fresh start.

Glenn

• Like 3

953 nut

:text-imsorry:               Guess it is time to buy another set of chains.     The "D has too much power for the conditions.

• Like 4

JoeM

I pretty much found out AG tires are best in dirt, and the best thing for snow was turfs with chains. May D160 would push tons of snow with that set up.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

#1   I will come and take it off your hands

#2 if it is icy /frozen ground ags will not do much for you

#3 Get some wheel weights 50lbs per side

Hang 150 lbs or more on the 3point

• Like 4

wh500special
14 hours ago, Firebug said:

.... and all it does is spin....

That was always my experience with the D-autos also.   I had 65 pound wheel weights on each rear wheel and about 150 pounds on the hitch before mine became useful.   But it was still touch and go when the thrower was raised.  With chains.  

I finally solved my D’s traction problem by selling it.   You can probably solve yours with weights and chains. 

Good luck, Steve 

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Shuboxlover

In my experience,  a good set of chains (2 link with lugs) will do way more than any amount of weight you put on it.   Just my $.02

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pollack Pete

Can you type      tirechains.com    I've bought several sets from them.Fair prices.Quick shipping.Like others have said,some added weight too.That D should be a bear plowing snow.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I recommend going back in the house till the snow goes away!! I hate the cold, if it weren't for loving all my family, I would be headed south!!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Firebug

I should have titled it d 200 frustration instead of disappointment. I put about 50 pounds of washer fluid in each tire, but that’s not enough weight. Not disappointed in it at all, just disappointed that I didn’t get the seat time I was hoping for. I have chains and rims for the 26-12-12 tires, just not the tall skinny ones. In my mind I was thinking those ag tires would just dig in and push. I was way off. That is the fun part, playing with different set ups to see what works and what doesn’t. Time to track down some 26 inch turfs

• Like 6

squonk

An example: My Power King has 24” rear wheels with ags . Same as a Cub. I had some big freakin ring chains on it and it did great. But those chains were a pita. I got some Farmall 100 lb weights and filled the tires. Added a weight box. Left the chains off. On the hard pack slick snow like we just got it would spin. I found another set of regular chains for it and it’s a monster. I was fighting thru a 4 ft. packed snow pile and those rears would slip then the chain would grab and dig and power me forward 

• Like 3

Sarge

Without chains, the D's weight fights against itself easily. This thing weighs around 1,100lbs - it needs the traction to match its weight. All I run on mine is the 50lb 12" cast iron weights and chains - pushes way more than the C-160 with loaded tires, weights and chains could ever push - plus, it has a much larger and heavier blade. I prefer somewhat that it spins itself out versus damaging the rear axle, pump coupling or other parts. Give them enough traction - you will break something eventually. Parts start acting like a fuse when you overload the capability - if you have to weight one down that far you really should be using a larger machine in the first place. Yes, these things are tough - but they aren't a bulldozer, either, treat it accordingly.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

I would’ve assumed (I know what that makes me) that AGs would dig in as well. Sorry that your setup didn’t go the way you thought it would, but thanks for sharing your experience. Might save someone else a headache while their drives full of snow later. 

• Like 1

Firebug

I’ll get it, just going to take some trial and error, just didn’t want to have to pay someone to plow my driveways when I have a machine that’s more than capable of doing it. I didn’t have any issues with my d160 last year save for the motor letting go. But I did have the chains on it last year. Thought the gas would dig like the chains. But at least I didn’t scatter my motor this time 👍

4BCD91FC-6E1A-4AAE-8256-BCF0E9C078B3.jpeg

• Sad 6

19richie66

Ouch!

Firebug

That one hurt a bit. Something else I noticed was only the left tire was spinning, is that right? I was under the impression that it was like a “locked” rear end where both tires would spin providing traction

Shuboxlover

I don't believe any Wheel Horse had posi-traction.  The only one that had a locking diff was the D-250 I think

pfrederi

10 pinion rear ends used on Raiders Chargers and electros are limited slip and will spin both rear wheel sat the same time.  The are  big improvement over an open differential but not as good as a locker like the D250

• Like 2

richmondred01

Wow that hurts to look at.

B0107015-98FD-41EC-8DC8-F4C575BC141E.jpeg

Firebug

Not one of the more enjoyable experiences 

Rob R

Just don't understand the mystery on AG (Agricuttural) tires which I see all the time.  AG tires were designed to be used in the dirt to plow, cultivation or pull dirt attachments, they are poor in snow and will tear the hell out of your lawn especially in the spring when things are sloppy and even a new driveway in the heat of summer. 

There is no substitute for 2 link chains on normal tires for ice or freezing snow.... this has been true since the dawn of the automotive age..... back in the 50's prior to snow and studded tires you stopped your vehicle when it snowed or in icy conditions and installed banded chains to get moving again, just like they do today on all the tractor trailers. My father could do this is less then 15 mins he then would  get back in the straight eight Buick blow up his chest and proclaim "let it snow all I wants nothing is going to stop this baby now" and off we would go with the straight eight roaring like a lion!

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 2

Firebug

I’m in a not so unique position that I multi task my tractors. Actual agricultural use in the spring for tilling and planting. Landscape duties all summer and snow plow in the winter. On more than one occasion I’ve needed my wife to pull the tractor out of the front yard because the turf tires just spun. Maybe July and August I can get by on turfs with no issues, so I started putting ag tires on everything. Like I said before, my simple mind thought the aggressive lugs would dig in and not have any problems pushing snow. 

Rob R
2 hours ago, Firebug said:

I’m in a not so unique position that I multi task my tractors. Actual agricultural use in the spring for tilling and planting. Landscape duties all summer and snow plow in the winter. On more than one occasion I’ve needed my wife to pull the tractor out of the front yard because the turf tires just spun. Maybe July and August I can get by on turfs with no issues, so I started putting ag tires on everything. Like I said before, my simple mind thought the aggressive lugs would dig in and not have any problems pushing snow. 

We all live and die with our decision(s) …. why you would put AGs on "everything" is beyond me.... guess they do look good but damn if you can plow snow with it...  One of the most disappointing things in life to me is a snow blower that won't start and the second is a stuck plow tractor.... just saying......

Firebug

I get it, I do more dirt work with them than the 3-4 times snow plowing. Plus I got tired of getting stuck in the grass. I couldn’t get anywhere with the turf tires. More than a handful of ties I needed to pull them out of the yard. That s why I decided to put gas on all my tractors. I can get more done with less time farting around. Now it seems the same issue I had in the summer with turf tires I’m now having in the winter with ag tires

• Like 1