bottjernat1

1981 john deere 317

bottjernat1

Hello i am currently working on a 1981 john deere 317. It was my late dads a scrap yard special from where he worked for almost 30 years. I had the motor in it and got it to move back and forth. I was just testing everything making sure it was going to work properly and i noticed the drive shaft with a little slop when it was connected. the woodruff key was sloppy a tad in the slot for the piece coming off the motor. both ends dont look wore really bad. so i am hoping to replace the woodruff key. Does anybody know the size key i need? Thanks

44432448_1676394532466752_3029718901815508992_n.jpg

44455897_1676394475800091_6309104299792138240_n.jpg

ebinmaine

I can't help with the actual original size but what you oughta do is run down to the local parts store and get an inexpensive digital slide rule.

Should be less than $10.

I didn't have one for a couple decades and now I use it on a VERY regular basis.

I wish I had purchased it many years ago.

• Like 2

bottjernat1
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I can't help with the actual original size but what you oughta do is run down to the local parts store and get an inexpensive digital slide rule.

Should be less than $10.

I didn't have one for a couple decades and now I use it on a VERY regular basis.

I wish I had purchased it many years ago.

I did use a micrometer on the shafts from the motor i put in and the extra i have laying around yesterday after i took the motor back out and found there was a slight difference so i think with a swap and a new woodruff key hopefully that may do the trick. i was going to buy an assortment of those keys im going to take a stab and say it is standard size not metric you agree? 

• Like 1

T-Mo

For the older John Deere L&G stuff, go to WFM, www.wfmachines.com, and you will find a lot of good info.  BTW, using JD Parts, here is your answer:  1/4" X 7/8 .

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/57098/referrer/navigation/pgId/105847

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
Just now, bottjernat1 said:

I did use a micrometer on the shafts from the motor i put in and the extra i have laying around yesterday after i took the motor back out and found there was a slight difference so i think with a swap and a new woodruff key hopefully that may do the trick. i was going to buy an assortment of those keys im going to take a stab and say it is standard size not metric you agree? 

I can't honestly say that I'm super familiar with John Deere but I think you would be correct about that.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, T-Mo said:

For the older John Deere L&G stuff, go to WFM, www.wfmachines.com, and you will find a lot of good info.  BTW, using JD Parts, here is your answer:  1/4" X 7/8 .

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/57098/referrer/navigation/pgId/105847

Well done, sir.

pfrederi

Keep in mind this is series 1 KT-17.  Make sure you keep her topped off (may a bit over full) with oil and stay off steep hills.  I got the engine out of my brother's 317 and am using it in a C-175 that is my sweeper tractor.  Way over 2000 hours smokes on start up but still runs OK.  he had pulled it because the crank seals leaked so badly.  New seals and no leaks.

• Like 1

T-Mo
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Keep in mind this is series 1 KT-17.  Make sure you keep her topped off (may a bit over full) with oil and stay off steep hills.  I got the engine out of my brother's 317 and am using it in a C-175 that is my sweeper tractor.  Way over 2000 hours smokes on start up but still runs OK.  he had pulled it because the crank seals leaked so badly.  New seals and no leaks.

True, the earlier 317s had the Series 1, but JD started to put in the Series II in 1982, I believe.  Also, Deere offered a drop an Onan replacement kit for the Series I that had premature failures.  The last 317 was in 1983, which Deere introduced which is considered one of the best L&G tractor (some say the best), the 318 which had the Onan engine.  On a side note, the 314 and 317 which were built from 1979 to 1983 were the last JDs to offered a Kohler engine for years.  They started to use mainly Onans, Yamnars, and Kawasaki engines until the STX line in the late 80s, which had the Kohler Commands in them.

• Like 1

bottjernat1
7 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

True, the earlier 317s had the Series 1, but JD started to put in the Series II in 1982, I believe.  Also, Deere offered a drop an Onan replacement kit for the Series I that had premature failures.  The last 317 was in 1983, which Deere introduced which is considered one of the best L&G tractor (some say the best), the 318 which had the Onan engine.  On a side note, the 314 and 317 which were built from 1979 to 1983 were the last JDs to offered a Kohler engine for years.  They started to use mainly Onans, Yamnars, and Kawasaki engines until the STX line in the late 80s, which had the Kohler Commands in them.

this motor is a series 2 it has the block on the side to put an oil filter assembly and pressure gauge. i have a series 1 but havent tried to run it yet. i have a 314 as well we gave each grandkid a garden tractor when my dad died. my wifes nephew loved my dad and all his tractors. so we gave him the 314. i just got it fixed and running last summer. Thank you for all the information! Super excited now i should get the series 1 running and see how it runs maybe i will put the correct motor in it. i am an originalist this series 2 runs like a champ tho. not to bad for sitting for many years! 

charging10

check out Weingartz  John Deere online, they have part diagrams and parts available for most old JD garden tractors, Ive bought parts from them in the past and they were always very helpful.

• Like 1