Docwheelhorse

New project / adult "toy"

oliver2-44

Is the barrel rifled to get that kind of range with a slug and such a seemly short barrel

Docwheelhorse

Hi, barrel is not rifled... and gun is chambered for up to 3" magnums... 75 yards is easy. 100 is doable... a little pratice to figure out holdover is all I need. None of my shots on deer have ever exceeded 75... this gun will work out just fine. Look uo hicock45 on youtube and specifically "slugs 230 yards". He was shooting a smooth bore with "cheap" 2 3/4 shells and having no trouble making good hits wayyyyyyyyyy out there. 

Tony

Edited by Docwheelhorse
  • Like 3

diesel cowboy

Nice deal. Always liked the oddball shotguns and have a 12 & 20 GA Stevens bolt action.  I wish my grandpa was still around.  I bet he'd get a kick out of that.  He used to shoot skeat and clays for probably close to 50 years before he had to give it up due to age and health reasons

Edited by diesel cowboy
  • Like 4

Pullstart

Nice job, how bout some videos next time shooting?  

LengerichKA88
5 hours ago, diesel cowboy said:

Nice deal. Always liked the oddball shotguns and have a 12 & 20 GA Stevens bolt action.  I wish my grandpa was still around.  I bet he'd get a kick out of that.  He used to shoot skeat and clays for probably close to 50 years before he had to give it up due to age and health reasons

My grandpa used to take out groundhogs with 12ga Stevens. Only bolt action shotgun I’ve ever seen. 

Thats really neat, I’ve never seen a lever action shotgun. I’ve always loved lever actions, a nice Mares Leg in .357 Mag is on my list. 

Docwheelhorse

@diesel cowboy @KyleLengerich

Hello Fellas,

My dad to this day uses a Mossberg model 185 BOLT action shotgun... they made zillions of them snd can be had in awesome shape for $100...

They quit making them in the 70's... and just recently started making a new version with a fully rifled barrel specifically made to shoot the .30 caliber sabot rounds out of a 12 gauge shell.

They really fly outta it and essentially is as close to a rifle as you can get in "no rifles" hunting areas.

Plus theres a bunch of tube fed bolt guns out there thst where made for Western Auto, Sears, Montgomery Wards etc... you want a bolt shotgun new or old---THATS CAKE!!!

Pic below is of my 2 bolt guns... top is Mossberg model 190 with sights for slug shooting and a poly choke---all the Mossbergs had a detachable box mag and where 2 + 1.

Bottom gun is a .410 single sold by Sears... have no idea who made it. May have to run numbers and see. Its awesome for squirels etc...

@pullstart

Video will be forthcoming depending on weather

Tony

20190121_080152.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Just spent Saturday afternoon shooting my dad's old Sears bolt action 16 ga. Kicks like a mule - long barrel with very tight choke...

Also shot the old bolt action single shot .410 and my now grown son's break barrel single shot .410 / .22...

All good!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

ACman

I own a Marlin .410 . I believe it was only available through Cabala’s .

C89128C7-46A5-4136-95CC-6E029F3B1231.jpeg.543fd7583b43d0de561a0727830b4610.jpeg

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Theres plenty of .410 lever shotguns out there made by Marlin, Winchester, & Henry. All based off there "30-30" models. Awesome for squirels and precision bird hunting... but all illegal in most areas for big game because a .410 slug is really gutless. I sent tons of emails saying "hey guys... scale it up and make at least a 20 gauge" same response every time... it wont sell.

Thats the bottom line I guess

Tony