Eric S.

Gasoline

Eric S.

What gas to run in wheelhorses

Eric S.

I run 100ll aviation , got rid of all white smoke in my 857  c 120. 1056. Electro 12  and my 418C . Low lead lubes the top end and best of all no ethanol . Gas octane was in that range when the older horses were built . Anyway just what I use .  4.50. Gallon .

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

My local station down the road has 93 octane shell. I use in all my tractors and other small engines.

non ethenal only

Edited by The Tool Crib

WVHillbilly520H

Those LOW compression Kohlers only need 87 octane and yes NON ethanol, so that being said I buy and use "Pure" non ethanol 87 octane gasoline, even in my 10.4:1 CR SBC 93 octane pump gas is all I really need even though I add some 110 octane race gas to it once a year.

• Like 1

Eric S.

Can not find ethanol free near me , Hunter don county NJ , but sky manor airport is only 8 miles . Some say too high of octane for the k Motors but that's what it was in the 60's and my horses have never run better . Hopefully they stay that way for the future . Also just food for thought , l have read numerous stories that the percentage of ethanol marked on pumps at gas stations are not always accurate and sometimes the so called ethanol free is not accurate . No issues at the airport . As they say today " Just Saying "

daveoman1966

Here is the result of ethanol gas...  looks like corn is starting to grow in the carb bowl.  Just imagine how the tiny jets get plugged with this sh... I tried using Stabil, but to no avail.  Finally located a local Sheetz with ETHANOL-FREE gas.   

CARB K241S (7).JPG

CARB K241S (11).JPG

• Like 4

Digger 66
7 minutes ago, Eric S. said:

Can not find ethanol free near me

Good gas

• Like 1

Skipper

I use ethanol gas with a dash of 2-stroke oil. No problems what so ever............

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Shynon

91 octane non ethanol

BHunter
8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I use ethanol gas with a dash of 2-stroke oil. No problems what so ever............

Does it smoke with the oil in it? 

WVHillbilly520H
35 minutes ago, Eric S. said:

Can not find ethanol free near me , Hunter don county NJ , but sky manor airport is only 8 miles . Some say too high of octane for the k Motors but that's what it was in the 60's and my horses have never run better . Hopefully they stay that way for the future . Also just food for thought , l have read numerous stories that the percentage of ethanol marked on pumps at gas stations are not always accurate and sometimes the so called ethanol free is not accurate . No issues at the airport . As they say today " Just Saying "

Octane rating just means the ability of the fuel to resist detonation, whether is compression ratio ignition timing ect...i would prefer to only spend 1/2 as much for the fuel and still receive the same benefits.

Screenshot_20190120-100622.png

Screenshot_20190120-100837.png

Screenshot_20190120-101005.png

Screenshot_20190120-101249.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BHunter

I’ve been running this from homedepot but it’s $20/ gallon. It’s works good but it’s too expensive. My area doesn’t have non- ethanol gas . I wish I had a local airport . I’d try that fuel. 

174A3260-B995-4E54-A95C-8F0CF3D89AD7.jpeg

ebinmaine

As long as you are using NON ETHANOL it doesn't matter what the octane rating is to the engine itself.... But @WVHillbilly520H is right about not spending more than you have to.

Around here I can ONLY get 93 octane at $3.69 or so or 105/108 airplane fuel at +/- $6.00.

Your $4.50 / gallon is most definitely worth not having to repair rubber and aluminum parts later.

• Thanks 1

Razorback

I am very fortunate to have a source of non-ethanol 87 octane gas just down the street from me. Less than a mile.

• Like 1

ztnoo

No matter where you live, you can find ethanol-free gas in any state and in Canada.

Search here:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

Razorback
11 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

No matter where you live, you can find ethanol-free gas in any state and in Canada.

Search here:

I learned something from this guide...... the station I mentioned has 91 octane ethanol-free gas, as well as 87.... good to know! Our ‘81 Bronco would probably like a tank of that!

• Like 1

BHunter
18 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Search here:

Thanks for the link. There is a heating and cooling company on the list that has it and they are 20 minutes away . I would have never known that. 

• Like 2

Skipper
1 hour ago, BHunter said:

Does it smoke with the oil in it? 

Nope, not if you use good quality oil. At most it helps keep these old engines a bit extra lubed up.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Nope, not if you use good quality oil. At most it helps keep these old engines a bit extra lubed up.

I'm not into snake oils but MMO is also a good additive to use not only in the fuel but in the crankcase as well.http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

• Like 1

KC9KAS
2 hours ago, Eric S. said:

l have read numerous stories that the percentage of ethanol marked on pumps at gas stations are not always accurate and sometimes the so called ethanol free is not accurate

In Indiana, every drop of gasoline CAN contain up to 10% ethanol and NOT be noted on the fuel pump. IF the gasoline contains MORE than 10%, it must be correctly noted on the pumps.

NON-ethanol fuels are available in Indiana, but are far & few in-between!

Where are my manners…:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

tunahead72
49 minutes ago, BHunter said:

Thanks for the link. There is a heating and cooling company on the list that has it and they are 20 minutes away . I would have never known that. 

There's also a place right in Lansdale that sells it.  It's best to call these places before you visit, just to make sure they actually have what you're looking for.  Availability is sometimes seasonal.  And mention that you're just looking for a small quantity for your small engines, it may make a difference to them.

Also, I'm happy to hear that some Sheetz stations carry non-ethanol gas, same goes for Wawa.  I've been meaning to contact Wawa to ask them to carry it at my local stores, haven't done that yet, it's on my list.  Anybody else here interested in doing that, feel free, it doesn't hurt to have numerous requests. 

--------

EDIT:  Forgot to mention…  The pure-gas.org web site is updated almost daily, by regular folks like us.  Check the site periodically, and if you know of a station that's not on the list, by all means add it.

Edited by tunahead72
  • Like 2

briankd

great link thanks! someone told me casey's general store sold non ethanol while back didn't believe them it is on the list. they are huge around here every town almost has one. VP gas stations have it too but in 5 gallon cans for about 130 bucks too pricey for me 

BHunter
17 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

There's also a place right in Lansdale that sells it.  It's best to call these places before you visit, just to make sure they actually have what you're looking for.  Availability is sometimes seasonal.  And mention that you're just looking for a small quantity for your small engines, it may make a difference to them.

Also, I'm happy to hear that some Sheetz stations carry non-ethanol gas, same goes for Wawa.  I've been meaning to contact Wawa to ask them to carry it at my local stores, haven't done that yet, it's on my list.  Anybody else here interested in doing that, feel free, it doesn't hurt to have numerous requests. 

--------

EDIT:  Forgot to mention…  The pure-gas.org web site is updated almost daily, by regular folks like us.  Check the site periodically, and if you know of a station that's not on the list, by all means add it.

Thanks. I’ll call Wawa too. 

The place in Lansdale sells 5 gallon cans of racing fuel. It’s more than $20/ gallon. 

• Like 1

pabird

I've been running 91 octane non ethanol gas with 1 oz. of Seafoam per gallon in both my 2 and 4 cycle engines. No fuel related problems since.

• Like 1

wh500special

This ethanol discussion seems to come up all the time with the same refrain of responses.   So there is a lot archived on here if you search.  It’s almost a religion.  

I have never had a single issue I’d blame on ethanol.  In fact, I used to go out of my way to buy gas that had ethanol in it to keep water from accumulating in my gas tanks. 

These little engines run hot and fast, so despite their low compression there can be some advantages - especially in hot weather - to run higher octane.  My echo trimmer manual dictates 89 or higher, so rather than have multiple fuel types on hand I always run 89.  

However...

the use of LEADED gas -aviation gas or the TEL additives that often get mentioned in these fuel threads - just seems like a bad idea.   If you think there is enough lead in the fuel to provide any benefits to the top end of your engine, then you had better believe there is enough lead in the exhaust to do less than desirable things to your health.  Or your children’s or grandchildren’s health.  

Lead was added to gas solely as a means of improving the octane of the poor quality fuels of the period.  Maybe it provided some lubricity to the valvetrain, but that was a distant secondary attribute.  

It finally disappeared after a long fight when it was showing up everywhere in the environment and especially in the bloodstreams of children.   It’s amazing to think it’s still used in any fuel.  Claire Patterson is probably turning over in his grave.  

Use “Pure” gas or ethanol laced gas per your own set of criteria, but I’d suggest we keep the lead out.  

Steve

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2