Bumper1990

Wheel horse b-81

Bumper1990

Ok got a question for you folks I'm just getting into the older tractors I have a 08 kioti now that I plan on using for plowing but I'd like to get a small gt to pull the discer I found a wh b-81 no deck only runs for a little then shuts off witch doesn't concern me alot I'm wondering if this model was any good though? Any info on it will help. Can I get a rear lift for it or should I look for a different preferred model? I also have a chance at a wheel horse work horse with the horizontal engine I'm wondering the same about that it has the mower deck and rear weights already and in alot better shape just doesn't have that " vintage wheelhore look". So basically I'm wondering what route you guys would take witch is my better option? Thank you guys 

• Like 1

Sparky

A B81 is strictly a lawn mower and pulling a disc will kill it. Look for a C series or 300/400 series machine.

That Work Horse is also a better option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bumper1990

Can I put a rear lift on the workhorse? I'm not sure if it has one or not. going Monday to look at it

T-Mo
3 minutes ago, Bumper1990 said:

Can I put a rear lift on the workhorse? I'm not sure if it has one or not. going Monday to look at it

Yes, you can put a rear lift on a work horse.

Racinbob

A B series 1977 and prior would be fine as they are garden tractors. As Sparky said, the B-81 started in 78 and was just a lawn tractor. :)

ebinmaine

@Bumper1990

Welcome to Redsquare.

Find a Wheelhorse with a HORIZONTAL shaft engine.

The B81 is a vertical shaft engine rig.

Generally speaking the horizontal shaft horses are Heavier Duty.

clueless

The vintage look with the horizontal engine your looking for would be from about 1966 to 1980 :thumbs::text-welcomewave:

Bumper1990

Okay guys got an update found out the guy selling the b-81 also has a 657 with no engine I'll upload pictures if i can. He says 75$ for it my main question is the b81 has a running engine can I take that out and drop it into the 657? I'm pretty sure the 657 is a horizontal engine but don't know about the b81 and I don't know if it's be a direct bolt up? Really don't want to modify the frame of the tractor at all. If not would it be a worthwhile investment at 75$ and watch for a motor?

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Bumper1990 said:

b81 has a running engine can I take that out and drop it into the 657? I'm pretty sure the 657 is a horizontal engine but don't know about the b81 and I don't know if it's be a direct bolt up?

:WRS:

Should be a K-181 horizontal shaft engine on the B-81. Will probably bolt right up to the frame and there will need to be a slight amount or rewiring to be done. We can lend a hand with any information you need.

:wwp:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti: :wwp:

953 nut
On 1/19/2019 at 12:29 PM, Racinbob said:

A B series 1977 and prior would be fine as they are garden tractors. As Sparky said, the B-81 started in 78 and was just a lawn tractor. :)

Looking at our "wheelhorseallyears" pdf it shows the B-81 in '77 as a Garden Tractor and the '78 as a lawn tractor so it depends on the year.

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Should be a K-181 horizontal shaft engine on the B-81. 

Richard if that's a B81....  I think.... it could be a vertical shaft. C81 has a horizontal shaft.

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, Bumper1990 said:

. If not would it be a worthwhile investment at 75$ and watch for a motor?

That 657 is worth $75 all day everyday even without an engine.

It could be  a great little tractor with the right horizontal shaft engine mounted on to it.

Pics would definitely help.

Bumper1990
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That 657 is worth $75 all day everyday even without an engine.

It could be  a great little tractor with the right horizontal shaft engine mounted on to it.

Pics would definitely help.

I'm trying to upload them they don't seem to want to upload tho I'll keep trying it is in pretty nice shape needs the knobs and odds and ends stuff though. This may sound dumb but will any horizontal Tecumseh fit it within the respectable horsepower? 

Bumper1990

received_294144948122889.jpeg

received_1235668003240660.jpeg

received_663200264082441.jpeg

received_243220253284521.jpeg

• Like 1

Bumper1990

Got pics up guys

ebinmaine

Given the right amount of work and engineering and of course, money. You can make most things happen.

That tractor would have had a 6 horse Tecumseh when it was new.

There are those who have great luck with the Tecumseh.

I think it's safe to say that most of us would prefer a Kohler 8 in place of a Tecumseh 6 or 8.

They are at least as powerful and a fair amount easier to work on.

Irv

Or you could grab one of those Harbor Freight 6 hp Honda clones for $100 and stick it in there!

Bumper1990

Well I love tinkering on motors I restore alot of outboard motors major pain to work on though my biggest thing is I know I'll have probably 500$ at least into it to get it in prestine condition plus my time this will be my first wheelhorse so basically I'm asking all you guys is it worth it?

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                 That is a nice looking 657, when you buy it be sure to ask about the belt guard, you will need it.        :handgestures-thumbupright:

This 1977 sales flyer shows the "B-81" as being a Garden Tractor with a horizontal crank engine. If it is not a '77 then it will be vertical.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 minute ago, Bumper1990 said:

is it worth it?

It is worth it! The satisfaction of a job well done will be your reward! Will you make big money doing it,  heck no.

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Bumper1990 said:

Got pics up guys

That's not a bad-looking rig at all.

Hard to tell exactly what you're going to need until you get going into it.

One would hope that maybe a quick freshening up on the paint and some new seals and belts and stuff and you'd be up and running.

Really never know until you tear into it.

Has a later model Dash with the up and down slides. As opposed to the pull style cables.

2 minutes ago, Bumper1990 said:

asking all you guys is it worth it?

That's a question that ONLY YOU have the answer to.

Me and Trina?? (She likes the little square hoods)

Oh yeah.... Definitely worth it in our opinion.

Bumper1990

Well it is something I'd like to fix up and give to my son when he gets old enough to help Dad with the chores so it's not the resale issue sentimental value is the highest priced thing going

• Heart 1

Bumper1990

Here's my biggest concern it's a nice tractor looks heavy duty it doesn't seem like there's a lot of 657s out there but that's what scares me am I going to be able to find all original parts 

rjg854

The question you need to ask yourself is it worth it to you.  I have more invested in my tractors than I could get for them. But they are in decent shape and run great,  so that makes it wortth it to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1