Bmaui24

Electric lift for dozer blade

Bmaui24

Does or has anyone installed an electric lift on a 312-8 tractor for the snow/dozer blade?  I'd like to do this but need info on it. HMU

ebinmaine

I've thought about it as well.

I've considered mounting a winch to the front of the frame of the tractor.

WVHillbilly520H
24 minutes ago, Bmaui24 said:

Does or has anyone installed an electric lift on a 312-8 tractor for the snow/dozer blade?  I'd like to do this but need info on it. HMU

@richmondred01, put it on his 520-8 maybe he'll chime in to help give you perspective, personally I'm a hydro/hydralic fan...

9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've thought about it as well.

I've considered mounting a winch to the front of the frame of the tractor.

Like this Eric?

IMAG2606.jpg

IMAG2611.jpg

• Like 2

Achto

I was thinking of trying some thing like this. They make them in many different capabilities and dimensions. Would be a matter of hooking up the actuator then wire up the relays & switch.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Linear-Actuators/DC-Linear-Actuators/4-Stroke-900-lbs-12-Volt-DC-Linear-Actuator-5-1907-4.axd

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@WVHillbilly520H 

Yes Jeff, that's just about exactly what I was thinking.

I have a plow frame here that has been cut down so that it would mount in the mid mount saddle of a horse for whatever reason of a previous owner.

pfrederi

Most electric lifts are painfully slow compared to a hydro.  I have a linear actuator on my sweepster and it makes Heinz Ketchup look fast.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Most electric lifts are painfully slow compared to a hydro.  I have a linear actuator on my sweepster and it makes Heinz Ketchup look fast.

Quite true.

Trina works in a hospital. She says the newer hospital beds use a type of electric motor that's so fast the CNAs have to be aware to not raise the bed Too fast.

Some of those are rated with a VERY high weight capacity.

I wonder how that setup works....

• Thanks 2

pfrederi

I am sure there are ways to come up with an electric lift...but for snow plowing a hydro is the way to go.  Once you try one you will never go back to a gear drive for snowplowing. The high speed reverse and quick directional change plus the fast blade lifting make it a whole bunch better.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I am sure there are ways to come up with an electric lift...but for snow plowing a hydro is the way to go.  Once you try one you will never go back to a gear drive for snowplowing. The high speed reverse and quick directional change plus the fast blade lifting make it a whole bunch better.

:text-yeahthat: 110% :handgestures-thumbupright:, that's how I felt and still do when I went from my CC 106 to the 520H 20 years ago.

Screenshot_20190119-093757.png

Screenshot_20190119-094001.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

midpack
53 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I disagree. While hydro is faster electric lift is no slouch. I prefer 8spd tractors and having a lift on (2 now). Its all I want :)

KC9KAS

If you use a winch you may want to put a spring between the cable and the frame of the snow plow. If the plow frame hits the tractor frame and "bottoms" out, it may damage the winch or something else!

The folks at work have a "Mule" and had to do this to keep from damaging things!

McGrew

The speed of an electric lift is dependent on many things, the rated rpms of the motor, the gear ratio, and the load applied.  You can buy linear actuators with different gear ratios depending on the application.  FWIW, I consider the electric lift on my Raider 10 to be TOO fast!  I have the lifting points adjusted to give the shortest stroke, hence slower movement, but it moves so quickly, fine adjustment is difficult.  I have considered going back to the manual lift...  Danny

4A9412A9-AEC8-44F5-99D6-48B07834042A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

richmondred01

I put a factory wheel horse electric lift on the 520-8. The lift works very well. Is it slower then the hydro lift, yes.

Im not a real fan of the hydros in the winter months. That’s just my opinion. I put that 520-8 in gear and nothing stops it until the wheels spin. Unlike the the hydro units that tend to wimp out when the pushing gets tough. 

However, i believe the 8 speed has more power then the hydro so it’s a trade off and the electric lift certainly beats the hand lift. 

The only thing better for plowing for me would be an 8 speed with a hydro lift like the older IH cub cadets had. 

9462F7BB-6A6B-4E35-84D3-373747A4ECA1.jpeg

Edited by richmondred01
  • Thanks 2

SPINJIM

I have an electric lift retrofitted to my 417-8, and use it for a snow blower where I don't mind it being very slow to lift, because I don't have to lift it often like I do with my plow blade.   I would only use a hydro lift for that.

• Like 1

squonk
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Quite true.

Trina works in a hospital. She says the newer hospital beds use a type of electric motor that's so fast the CNAs have to be aware to not raise the bed Too fast.

Eric, a lot of the newer  beds are hydraulically lifted using a large DC motor powering a pump and the fluid direction controlled by servos.

• Thanks 1

roadapples

Check u tube.. It's on there...

Bmaui24
On 1/19/2019 at 9:19 AM, ebinmaine said:

Quite true.

Yes, I don't want the snow to melt before I plow it. 

• Haha 1

Bmaui24

Thanks everyone for your help. Not sure what to do. Hand lifting the blade is a chore. 

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Bmaui24 said:

Yes, I don't want the snow to melt before I plow it. 

Hahahahahaha

No but on the bright side it would be gone. You just have to be very very very very very very very patient.

• Haha 1

Bmaui24
On 1/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

@richmondred01, put it on his 520-8 maybe he'll chime in to help give you perspective, personally I'm a hydro/hydralic fan...

Like this Eric?

IMAG2606.jpg

IMAG2611.jpg

Would work. I'm just concerned about having enough down pressure. 

Bmaui24

Here is my setup. imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

20181027_134914.jpg

20181027_142137.jpg

20180916_181400.jpg

20180916_181342.jpg

Edited by Bmaui24
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Bmaui24 said:

Would work. I'm just concerned about having enough down pressure. 

On my snow plow tractor I do occasionally use down pressure to bite into harder snow or places where it has been driven over by a vehicle.

I have no real way of measuring how much extra pressure is being exerted but I wonder if, considering you are going to be using a winch, you could put some free weights on the plow or something along that line?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bmaui24
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

On my snow plow tractor I do occasionally use down pressure to bite into harder snow or places where it has been driven over by a vehicle.

I have no real way of measuring how much extra pressure is being exerted but I wonder if, considering you are going to be using a winch, you could put some free weights on the plow or something along that line?

Could do that. 

• Like 2

wallfish

How about something like this if you're not concerned with using the cable on the winch. You get more speed and down pressure.

Remove the cable and weld an arm onto the winch drum.

:twocents-02cents:

143845306_frontwinch.jpg.ffab81aea6ef8564875bc3d557ce02ab.jpg

• Excellent 1