bellevillerod

My name is Rod and I have a problem...

bellevillerod

Well i got over to look at the 416H and saw that it did have an 48in deck, chrome hubcaps. Checked oil was good, hydro fluid was good, rear tires well I dont think I have ever saw a set so bald..lol. We put the key in it and after some cranking she fired up. Carb will need cleaning as we needed choke to keep it running at first. Top of hood is missing paint but all in all not a bad looking tractor. Has the mounts for a snow blade installed. I pointed out every thing I could find that was bad and then said if he would take 240.00 I would haul it away. Drove it up my ramps..(never again) as it pulled a wheelie half way up and he had to grab the front and yank it back down. But I think I did OK an with very little effort I can flip it this spring.

20190118_172746.jpg

20190118_184542.jpg

20190118_184602.jpg

20190118_184618.jpg

20190118_184708.jpg

20190118_184630.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
20 minutes ago, bellevillerod said:

Drove it up my ramps..(never again) as it pulled a wheelie half way up

Always,   always      always BACK UP A RAMP. @rmaynard can tell you why!

22 minutes ago, bellevillerod said:

after some cranking she fired up. Carb will need cleaning as we needed choke to keep it running at first.

The fuel pump should be checked out too. The pump is higher than the tank and if the check valves are leaking by it can be hard for it to pull a good prime. Nice buy!

:text-coolphotos:

• Like 4

oliver2-44

I'm not an Onan owner, but many on here have stressed the importance of pulling the engine rear cylinder tins to clean out built up grass and debris.  if not kept clean the cylinder can overheat and the valve seat insert become loose. 

• Like 4

bellevillerod
1 minute ago, oliver2-44 said:

I'm not an Onan owner, but many on here have stressed the importance of pulling the engine rear cylinder tins to clean out built up grass and debris.  if not kept clean the cylinder can overheat and the valve seat insert become loose. 

That I will do, I have two other tractors with Onan engines in them. They are older engines a 74 & 76 and are 16&18 hp. I have had really good luck with them, they do require more attention than others. But the sound and torque on them is really something. My 18 hp Onan pulls my 10 in moldboard plow, I'm running two straight pipes out of it. You can hear me plowing from 1/4 mile away.

• Like 3

ACman

:scratchead:....I see no problem :lol: just more fun playing with :wh:Horses! As you probably have figured out there is no cure for this addiction just more tractors. Congrats on your purchase :handgestures-thumbupright: .

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, bellevillerod said:

I'm running two straight pipes out of it. You can hear me plowing from 1/4 mile away.

I can believe that...my old Miller welder has an Onan with dual straights on it, between that and being around 454 irrigation engines running open headers at 2200 RPM its no wonder I cant hear a darn thing anymore :lol:

Congratulations on your most recent :wh: purchase

• Haha 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, bellevillerod said:

That I will do, I have two other tractors with Onan engines in them. They are older engines a 74 & 76 and are 16&18 hp. I have had really good luck with them, they do require more attention than others. But the sound and torque on them is really something. My 18 hp Onan pulls my 10 in moldboard plow, I'm running two straight pipes out of it. You can hear me plowing from 1/4 mile away.

Could you post a picture of your straight pipes, it would help to see how you've routed them as I do not want to butcher the hood on my Simple 9020. Without the hood snow from the blower gets onto the engine then when it melts it tends to foul the ignition causing the engine to misfire but it never failed me.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bellevillerod
2 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Could you post a picture of your straight pipes, it would help to see how you've routed them as I do not want to butcher the hood on my Simple 9020. Without the hood snow from the blower gets onto the engine then when it melts it tends to foul the ignition causing the engine to miss but it never quits.

Mine are in older sears ss tractors so the pipes just run out the side, I'll get some pics tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

• Excellent 1

Pollack Pete

Good looking 416-H.I kinda like the Onan twins.Gas hogs,but very powerful.You basically bought the deck and got the tractor for free.Have fun with your new toy.

CraigArndt

I 2nd the removal of the rear ductwork and clean out all the cooling fins.  The 520H I restored had a rear cylinder covered in what looked to be insulation.  Couldn't see the cooling fins.  Once I got all the cottonwood out I saw how and why it overheated.  Consequently that was the cylinder that had a rod knock.  You're 416H looks really good, won't take a lot of work to get that turned around for sale.

• Like 1

Firebug

I have a couple sets of decent turf tires for the rear of that if you are in need of a set