trailhopper

New 520H Tachometer

trailhopper

So I recently picked up a 1991 520H and was looking forward to having full instrumentation, but the tachometer was non-functioning. After some troubleshooting (using this site), it appears as the actual tachometer is burnt up. After this discovery, I searched for a replacement and found this place selling new Toro tachometers (part #78-006) for a reasonable price. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but did receive it and looks perfect, Not my site, not my product. Just thought that I would share.

https://www.marine-surplus.com/product/teleflex-marine-toro-0-4000-rpm-tachometer-gauge-78-0060/

-Scott

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 3

WVHillbilly520H

That does seem to be a great price and thanks for sharing the link, Jeff. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
21 minutes ago, trailhopper said:

So I recently picked up a 1991 520H and was looking forward to having full instrumentation, but the tachometer was non-functioning. After some troubleshooting (using this site), it appears as the actual tachometer is burnt up. After this discovery, I searched for a replacement and found this place selling new Toro tachometers (part #78-006) for a reasonable price. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but did receive it and looks perfect, Not my site, not my product. Just thought that I would share.

https://www.marine-surplus.com/product/teleflex-marine-toro-0-4000-rpm-tachometer-gauge-78-0060/

-Scott

I might have a tack if you need one PM me .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

trailhopper
25 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

I might have a tack if you need one PM me .

Thanks for the offer, but I actually bought 2 through the link. They look new and in perfect shape. I just need to get one hooked up now...

Edited by trailhopper
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shuboxlover

PLEASE let us know if they are compatible...That's a FANTASTIC price!!!  GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Forget me if I'm stealing this thread, but I've wanted a tach for my c-160. Can any of the 520 guru's tell me how that toro Tach gets it signal and could it be retrofit to a K341? 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
38 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Forget me if I'm stealing this thread, but I've wanted a tach for my c-160. Can any of the 520 guru's tell me how that toro Tach gets it signal and could it be retrofit to a K341? 

I'm not a guru by any means but I believe it gets its signal from the voltage regulator because when the VR is bad the tach does not work also on the Onan the coil fires both cylinders simutaniously, maybe Kyle @fast88pu  or @cleat could cast some light on the subject.

• Like 1

cleat

Tach gets it's signal from the AC from the charge coil.

I had a Wheel Horse tach in my Ford LGT165 with a Kohler K341 and it worked perfectly.

Cleat

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

cleat
3 hours ago, trailhopper said:

-Scott

Holy, Used ones go for more, that seems like a price too good to be true.

• Like 2

trailhopper
9 hours ago, cleat said:

Holy, Used ones go for more, that seems like a price too good to be true.

I thought so too. That's why I waited until I had them in hand to post. Now I just need the time to get one installed.

fast88pu
10 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm not a guru by any means but I believe it gets its signal from the voltage regulator because when the VR is bad the tach does not work also on the Onan the coil fires both cylinders simutaniously, maybe Kyle @fast88pu  or @cleat could cast some light on the subject.

Yes the 520 does from the regulator. If it was a magnum single you can get it from the kill wire buy on an old K series I'm not sure. I would ask in the pulling section. I run a tach on my predator and tiny tachs on the rest. 

cleat

Just connect to one of the AC lines coming from the charge coil to the regulator.

If one does not work, try the other one.

Mine worked perfectly but there may be charge coils with different number of windings that could cause tach to read differently.

Cleat

bds1984

I have a tachometer on my C165 that is connected to one of the AC terminals on the regulator and it works fine.  I believe the issue is the flywheel has to have six magnets on it for the tachometer to read correctly.  I am going to buy a tachometer and install it on my 315-8.  Thanks for the link!

formariz

@trailhopperCurious as to how gauge worked out.

hihousej

I bought the gauge from Marine-Surplus and it works perfectly in my 520H.  Had to run a small drum sander in the dash hole for a half a minute to wallow it out a tad.  Wiring was there and it went slick and looks great.  This one hasn't had a tach since the turn of the century.

International Harvester

Got mine today! They can be found here: https://www.marine-surplus.com/product/teleflex-marine-toro-0-4000-rpm-tachometer-gauge-78-0060/

Only $50.00 bucks. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:naughty: Just phishing people.

Reported to the moderators.

Edited by AMC RULES

WHX??

Me thinks @International Harvester works at Marine Surplus and is trying to move some inventory?