ClassicTractorProfessor

US General Toolboxes at HF

ClassicTractorProfessor

Been looking at toolboxes for my shop, as well as a mechanics cart to use at work. As much as I hate to, I'm about to start supplying my own tools at work, too many times I've needed something that we no longer have cause one of the other guys have lost it, or I need a special wrench or socket that we don't have and the shop won't provide me with it, leaving me constantly borrowing tools from a mechanic friend of mine up the road. 

While I would love to have the biggest and nicest Snap-On boxes fully stocked with Snap-On tools, my budget just doesn't allow it. Been looking at these US General boxes from Harbor Freight, seem to have pretty good reviews, but was wondering if any of the fellow members here have any experience with these. I trust y'alls judgement more than some random review writer on HF's website.

They have several colors to choose from, but like everything else in my collection it's gotta be RED :lol:

64061_W8.jpg

64281_W2SS.jpg

64281_W9.jpg

DennisThornton

I think the U. S. General tool boxes are perhaps the best bag for the buck tool boxes out there.  Certainly not the best, but certainly a good value to store tools.  Don't expect to open drawers and climb up like a ladder.  Do expect them to wobble.  But for the price!  Hard to beat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

The Series II boxes are much deeper than the ones they replace. A 22 inch deep cabinet will allow you to put the longest wrenches lined up front to back and that is what i was looking for.  Instead of the tool cart on wheels, my first choice would be this one for bang for the buck at 199.00.  I am a sloppy person, so for me, many shallow drawers make it easier to lay out your tools in an organized fashion than fewer deep drawers. the top hinged cover is deep enough to store racks of deep well sockets, and it is built heavy enough to sit on. You have to have the doors closed and cover down to lock the unit

I bought two. The first one lives on top of my 42" Harbor Freight tool box and the second one is going on a tool cart base with the best casters that I can find. I want it lower than normal so I can access it from a seated position. I got mine at 160.00 each on the two day once a year sale that allows a 15% discount on the stuff that is not discounted at any other time They are built heavier than Sears, Kobalt and Huskyimage.png.92fc42a81b4794770d3c627f4f3490d1.png

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

benji756

I am a machine repair man at a automotive supplier plant and several of my co workers have the us general tool box's. If and when I go to replace my box it will be with a us general, for the price I don't think you can beat it.

• Like 1

squonk

I was in HF Last week. The boxes are getting better and better. I have one of the earlier carts. Very nice! 

WVHillbilly520H

I have the series 1 top and bottom 44" was going to get the side boxes also but the series 2 are bigger, they are better than Craftsman or Stanley boxes cheaper than those rolling store boxes, I believe I'll never have to replace them because they fell apart just my experiences and humble opinion.

AndyK149

HF boxes are excellent.  I have several including the biggest one they make and some of the mobile carts.  They are an incredible value.  I feel bad for the guys that buy the expensive boxes and spend the next 10 years paying them off.  

• Like 2

82Caddy

Watch http://www.hfqpdb.com/ for coupons for boxes.  

They're really good boxes and carts for the price.

AndyK149

I do have one complaint about ONE of the boxes I got, which was that the gas lift strut failed after only a few months.  I keep it in my race trailer so maybe because it gets very hot and cold in there?  I'm not sure where to get a replacement so I just try to keep my fingers out of the way when it comes slamming down.  

Sarge

I have the earlier series 5 drawer cart like the one you pictured, just not as deep as the new one. Lift cylinders failed after a couple of years - easy enough to replace. Despite being used as a tooling cart for my lathe it has held up fine, no issues. I store at least 1 chuck in the bottom shelf and all the tooling/cutters/heads/adapters and such in the drawers along with a plethora of measuring tools - probably north of 500lbs total, no problem. Drawers still work just as they should and no signs of stress wear or anything else. Not sure how well it would roll at this point, but I'm more than happy for what I paid for it. I know a lot of mechanics that have avoided paying the big money for the large commercial tool-truck boxes and instead gone to the HF cabinets to focus more on investing in actual tools - none have really regretted it. Yes, the drawers aren't nearly as tight, but they are well built and seem to handle the weight easily enough. Unless you work in a big shop and have to load one to the max and move it around constantly - I see no reason not to use the HF boxes for the money difference. Otherwise, look into some of the industrial/commercial wholesale outfits - you can get some truly heavy boxes for a quarter of what those tool trucks want for one. 

Sarge

• Like 1

82Caddy
6 hours ago, AndyK149 said:

I do have one complaint about ONE of the boxes I got, which was that the gas lift strut failed after only a few months.  I keep it in my race trailer so maybe because it gets very hot and cold in there?  I'm not sure where to get a replacement so I just try to keep my fingers out of the way when it comes slamming down.  

Call Harbor Freight corporate number and they’ll get you sorted out with part numbers or a replacement. 

• Like 1

ACman

My son took the top off the top and repurposed it into a welding cart . Works great and wouldn’t hesitate buying any U.S General toolbox.

F6D1A991-8181-47D7-B67F-4F6488B7093E.jpeg.dc039e989c784bb3e7c60dee1424ddc8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

What some of the guys do is reposition the gas struts so they lift the lid at 90 degrees to the deck. I really have no idea if that would make any difference how long the gas strut would perform.

As far as buying parts for HF tools, I once ordered some gaskets and stuff for a predator, and it took 3 months to resolve the order [after having to re-start the process.

So far, i have bought the two 26" top boxes and the high position motorcycle lift for FREE with my settlement money on the class action lawsuit

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Thanks for the input and opinions, wanted to hear it from y'all before I made a decision. Soon there will be one of their red rolling carts out at work, I wish I had a HF close by I'd already have one, but the nearest store 145 miles away in Amarillo TX. Not a bad trip, but when you're driving a V10 F250 getting 6.5 mpg, you make plans to do more than just one stop and come back home. I also did some measuring over at my shop, and as much as I would love to have the whole set pictured above there's just not room. So a quick trip to ACE Hardware yesterday afternoon and came home with a new Craftsman box, which should serve my needs at the shop well, and if I need more room later I have a spot there I can put another one just like it if need be. 

20190119_155410.jpg

20190119_162918.jpg

20190119_164728.jpg

20190120_182333.jpg

20190120_182422.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@Professor1990, The main thing is that you are happy with your purchase, on a second note ouch on the 6.5mpg on that V10 ,loaded with a cord of firewood my C30 454 gets about 9-10mpg.

ClassicTractorProfessor

I used to go to Amarillo pretty often when my brother was down there, and my old 89 F250 460 would get right around 12 going down and back if I drove her right, but I haven't been impressed with the mileage or power out of this V10

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Ended up ordering this cart today. Really liked the US General carts, and almost ordered one today. I almost envy you fellas that can run down the road to HF anytime you need something. Out here I pretty well have to order everything and have it shipped here, leaving town is just too much of a hassle, with being the only driver for the only wrecker company in the whole county it's kinda hard to get away.

Anyway, I started ordering the cart from HF, but by the time you figured in the shipping costs to get it here it was going to run me $337 for the box and the add-on side shelf.

So I got on Amazon and found this cart for $364.99 and free shipping with my Prime membership, and it comes with the side tray as well as the side mounted screwdriver/prybar holder. It should be delivered to our shop next Wednesday, so I will update you all when it comes in

71vOp+OpuJL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

JaysHorse
On 1/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, AndyK149 said:

What’s the length on the strut? I may have one.