Herder

No room left

ebinmaine

I like how you say it's time to expand the shop instead of shrink the herd.

Like it's not even an option to do so. Because it isn't.

Trina and I have been talking about ways to expand our storage space because we don't believe in keeping anything outdoors but right now we have to.

Tractors are all Undercover but trailers and snow blowers are living Outdoors and neither one of us is happy about that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Herder
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like how you say it's time to expand the shop instead of shrink the herd.

Like it's not even an option to do so. Because it isn't.

Trina and I have been talking about ways to expand our storage space because we don't believe in keeping anything outdoors but right now we have to.

Tractors are all Undercover but trailers and snow blowers are living Outdoors and neither one of us is happy about that.

Expansion is the idea but for now I just keep stuffing them away. Even the ones that are stored outdoors in the Boneyard are at least covered for the most part. They're kind of like Strays I just keep bringing them home.

• Haha 2

WHX??

Lots of talk goin on around here about "downsizing" :lol: ....that's a nice lookin 1054 ther... :ph34r:

• Haha 3

Herder
6 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Lots of talk goin on around here about "downsizing" :lol: ....that's a nice lookin 1054 ther... :ph34r:

Downsizing is a bad word around here. Although it would free up some room for some more expansion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

downsizing

Nope.

Yet...

Right now Trina has her two.

1 for Towing light loads

1 is likely going to be the mid Mount grader tractor

I think fairly soon we're going to end up with two snow / dozer tractors. Then another one of mine which is going to be for towing heavy loads.

After that ?..who knows?

We are probably going to take a break from working ON tractors for a while after Cinnamon is done so that we can work WITH tractors and get some things done around the property this summer.

That said, there are still three specific tractor projects in my mind that I would like to work on.

We will likely do something with the one that @Herder Adam is giving us.

Thank you again for that by the way.

I also want to build a Franken horse in the shape of a c-120 for no real particular reason.

And then there's that 23 horse twin ......

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Digger 66

You ought to see my garage .

It's like playing chess in there with the pickup  along with all my other crap !

• Haha 4

oliver2-44
49 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Best keep an eye on that fella masquerading:ph34r: as  @WHX21 I've read talk around here that he's really WHX23 :ychain:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

AMC RULES

:eusa-doh: You call that full?   :angry-banghead:

• Haha 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I can relate. I think I've turned everything I possibly can into a storage place for horses and other GT's. I have a buddy here locally that bought 2 shipping containers to use as storage for tractors. Not sure what the price was, but might be worth looking into.

WHX??
15 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Best keep an eye on that fella masquerading:ph34r: as  @WHX21 I've read talk around here that he's really WHX23 :ychain:

That ain't too far off the truth Ollie... or at least WHX22 + another brand!! ! :rolleyes:

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1

WHX??
15 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

like playing chess musical tractors in there

:lol:

Herder
1 hour ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I can relate. I think I've turned everything I possibly can into a storage place for horses and other GT's. I have a buddy here locally that bought 2 shipping containers to use as storage for tractors. Not sure what the price was, but might be worth looking into.

I have considered it, I have been told by the building inspector that it wasn't a good idea. Yup I live and work in one of those towns!!  I was going to get to two and set them side by side with an 8' space between and  dress them up to look like a barn. Roof and all.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 minute ago, Herder said:

I have considered it, I have been told by the building inspector that it wasn't a good idea. Yup I live and work in one of those towns!!  I was going to get to two and set them side by side with an 8' space between and  dress them up to look like a barn. Roof and all.

Well he said it wasn't a good idea, but he didn't say you couldn't! lol

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Well he said it wasn't a good idea, but he didn't say you couldn't! lol

I was thinking the same thing.

the only thing I would add to that is I happen to know somebody personally who was living in Northern New Hampshire a few years back and running a glass shop out of a temporary garage. I think it was maybe three or four years went by and they forced him to rip it down because it was... Temporary. Then they would not let him put up a new permanent one because of setback regulations. .and that all but closed his business.

Moral of the story is that although they may not tell you you cannot do it that does not mean you can keep it up for very long.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Only bad thing about a shipping container is if you want to expand you have to get a torch and not a hammer!  :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19richie66

That’s what I want to build when I get moved.

D785798A-77EC-4200-9E0A-FEC3FDBDBFDB.png

D656A1ED-F423-47E9-A7E3-FE6D8F14F024.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

That upper one is pretty awesome.

I don't know what the roof structure itself would cost around here but the 40 foot containers are less than $4,000 delivered.

19richie66

You i figure for less than 10 grand you should be able to build one. Containers here are around 3500 for a 40’ high cube. Thats one in good shape. Roof could be done by a handfull of friends, a smoker and a full cooler.👍

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 19richie66 said:

You i figure for less than 10 grand you should be able to build one. Containers here are around 3500 for a 40’ high cube. Thats one in good shape. Roof could be done by a handfull of friends, a smoker and a full cooler.👍

it would be more here because our Roof Systems have to support snow load but even so. You'd have quite a large enclosure for very little money.

• Like 1

19richie66

The possibilities are endless. I want to wall off the fronts of the containers 10’ in so I would basically have two 8’x10’ sheds for storage. Then the sides under the roof would both get small garage doors and them would be for tractors and such. Wall on the back would have the wheel horse art on it.👍

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Some great ideas there Richie.

If I had one that was two of those 40 foot containers with 16 foot open space in between ...

One of them would be a woodworking shop. The other one would be a metal working and welding shop. In between the two I would wall off the open space and that's where the storage area would actually end up being.

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

While it’s a good idea, those things are stifling in the heat.

My job in the Corps had me loading and unloading these for about a year and a half. The only way I’d be able to stand it is by cutting in an efficiency AC unit. Would add a couple grand to the final price tag, but it would be well worth it if that’s what you’re working with IMHO

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

It's also a possibility if you want to cut cost a little, use one container and truss over . My idea wood be if you have timber near by to use as poles.  Character !

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
10 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

It's also a possibility if you want to cut cost a little, use one container and truss over . My idea wood be if you have timber near by to use as poles.  Character !

That’s a good idea too! 

You could use a side opening one so that your roof would shelter the doors as well 🤔

7331A50E-4DFF-46A9-9763-6E866E104A09.jpeg

You would then be able to park them in a row so that they could all be accessed easily without having to move others out of the way too. 

B7B97B89-CE72-44BB-A204-E23CDB34E483.png

This would allow more air circulation as well, which would keep it cooler and would be safer if you had any Horses running inside of it for any length of time. You could build it so that the doors rest against and are secured by the roof structure as well. 

Looks like I need to be finding a shipping container 😂

Edited by KyleLengerich
  • Like 1