"Manic-Mechanic"

1959 David Bradley/Sears Suburban Find

ebinmaine

This would be a really cool restoration thread to follow

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701

very cool, I did I full resto on one of these, looks like the belt guard is there, are the 2 part front rims?  one side is reverse thread!  that's the same decal set I used on mine, just an FYI that engine is a replacement.  you will also hate roll pins when your done!  

20180812_130712.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

"Manic-Mechanic"
11 hours ago, jabelman said:

very cool, I did I full resto on one of these, looks like the belt guard is there, are the 2 part front rims?  one side is reverse thread!  that's the same decal set I used on mine, just an FYI that engine is a replacement.  you will also hate roll pins when your done!  

20180812_130712.jpg

Yes I knew the engine wasn't original. I'm liking this your as it shows decal placement. Also it came out excellent! Roll-pins can be a bit difficult but usually can do them. I don't see the two rear brake levers on my machine, I will have to drive down to look at this a bit closer, to know what's-what.......I'm afraid that this one I found might be a 62, and if so, will need the other hood, eventually......

38474506_10204930323534035_2882043941765513216_n.jpg

Edited by oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"

The 1962 is a beautiful blue. I shall know more soon, either way It's coming home! See the differences in the hoods.

1962.jpg

1962 sears.jpg

Edited by oldman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Those are cool, I sure would pick one up if it popped up around here.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

WHNJ701

I was thinking that when I looked at your photo it might be later model it's still worth saving, man try finding a 1962 hood I wish you luck, as it's 1 year only hood.  even finding that other hood is still a great score I sure you would have no problem selling it

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Well I figured the two hand levers are missing or its a newer model. If it is a 62 I'll redo it ,as the color is outstanding! The hood could show up sometime? Restore the 59 hood regardless. I thought these used the R19 Briggs, it was a generator engine if it came with electric start? but looks like nothing much left of that set-up. Really hard to find any and usually too far to travel to be practical.

Edited by oldman

WHNJ701

I have yet to see another one around my area, I don't think they were to common on the east coast most I see are in the mid west area

I was told mine was originally sold in Maryland and then made its way to a NJ blue berry farm, when I got it looked about the same as yours.

the 59-61 used a 5 3/4hp briggs.  that hood would cool all redone, if you need decal layout let me know

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Say,

I have been looking at all the models from 59-62. The one I found in the picture all sitting in the weeds, it has the belt guard of 59-61, There are however, no hand brakes. Were there some in that year with-out hand brakes? I won't want it if they were robbed, never find replacements! The 62 doesn't have hand brakes and there is a slot in the belt guard which isn't present on the earlier models. I won't get to know more until Feb whenever I go check it out.

Oldman

38474506_10204930323534035_2882043941765513216_n.jpg

1959-62 sears david bradley.jpg

WHNJ701

I wouldn't let the hand brakes stop you from buying it if it's a 59-61, you don't need brakes anyway!  they are more helpful for stopping one wheel and turning.  

there are lots of rare parts on that tractor I would definitely buy it asap.  those 2 part rims are......$$$

I think more it's s 62, won't know until you find some paint on it

Edited by jabelman

"Manic-Mechanic"

If it's a 62, paint the 59 hood blue? I know it's different but I like it better than the 62 hood.

WHNJ701

the hood mounts very simple, a bolt for the hinge in the front, and on the inside of the hood you should have a 1" conduit clip that snaps into  a piece on the top of the hood, see picture.  the oil bath airfilter is offset too

20190119_141347.jpg

20190119_141420.jpg

20190119_141626.jpg

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Really like the details and I was wondering about the hood stand too! How did you know? Ha ha ha! All the pictures you post I'lI put too mind for sure.......I re-worked the tin it's about there! No more wrinkles or dents! Nice Work! 

Oldman

IMG_3570.JPG

Edited by oldman
  • Like 1