The Tuul Crib

PTO step up

The Tuul Crib

I have a question about the clutch on my rebuild I'm doing and originally it came with a 6 inch clutch .My question is I'm wondering if I can step it up to a 7 inch. I am putting a larger engine on it from a 10 horse to a 14 horse so to me there wouldn't be any doubt that it would be OK any thoughts ?

Herder

You need to start with the drive pulley. What one do you want to use? It may determine what clutch disk you have to install. Unfortunately they are not all the same. The sleeve that go's over the output shaft may differ as well and may not interchange with the hud. Need pics.

The Tuul Crib

The first pic is the correct pulley needed for this motor 6483. Which had a 10 horse to begin with.The second pic is the 7 inch clutch disk which the holes lineup perfectly with the pulley. The last pic is the correct bell  and it is a 6 inch . Seems as though everything should fit properly .

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

• Like 1

Lee1977

The sleeve should be the same both engines have 1 1/8" shafts. 

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

I guess my biggest question is will it hurt to run a 7 inch clutch rather than a 6 inch clutch. 

Lee1977
5 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

I guess my biggest question is will it hurt to run a 7 inch clutch rather than a 6 inch clutch. 

I would say it won't hurt anything If everything fits. What models are the parts from. 

The Tuul Crib

The parts I have came off of a 520hthat I had parted out . The clutch disk and the bell are in great shape and usable.it will be going on a 14 horse Kohler that I'm putting on the tractor.

Lee1977

Did the sleeve come from the same 520. If it did I don't see where you could have a problem. 

The Tuul Crib

Yes all the parts were off of the 520 H. The sleeve and everything else IMO will fit

onto the K321 with out a problem 

Lee1977

The reason I ask is that some where they changed the thickness of the clutch disk. When I order a new clutch disk for my 1977 C-120 I found that It was 1/16" thinner than the old disk. It was wearing out the C-clips that hold the sleeve. I had to make a !/16" spacer to go behind the disk to make it line up with the slot in the old sleeve. All the later model parts will work together, I just don't know when they changed.

Edited by Lee1977

The Tuul Crib

I have some time before I get to that point for the clutch I'm just kind of planning ahead to know what I'm doing. Everything seems to fall into place so when I get to that point maybe I will start a new thread on it.

953 nut

You may need to have the hoop that came with the 7" clutch too.

The Tuul Crib

I have the hoop in all in the bracket said attach it. This 1067 originally had the clutch Control rod that came up on the right side that you pushed to the left to engage the clutch. May have to eventually find a decent 6 inch clutch disc.

Lee1977

Check to see if the two pulleys are the same height. If they are use the short shaft from the 6" and it should work.

Sarge

You can also use the bigger clutch off the K341 engine equipped C160 tractors. Due to the extra torque output, that clutch is a larger diameter than the earlier 10/12hp engines. If I remember correctly, all it takes is keeping the same pto sleeve and clutch hoop as a package.

Sarge