gwood

spray painting help, colors

gwood

I have 3 WH tractors and want to re-paint them. C-160 Automatic, GT1142 and 416-8. What type of sprayer does owners use, the paint for red, rims and the GT1142 body?

Anyone have a how to video on restoration?

Just joined and look forward to converse with members on different subjects!

gwood

• Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

:text-welcomeconfetti: You might try to do a search, many threads here on the items your asking about. There are a lot of good people who are willing to help with all things about the:wh: just enjoy the ride, ask questions, and of course send plenty of pics for all to see and enjoy. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

If you will be using a spray paint gun you will be able to obtain best results using an automotive enamel with a canalized hardener. Be sure to buy a good quality respirator and some full body protective overalls. follow all of the safety standards set forth by the manufacturer.

There are a ton of you-tube videos on painting, some good, some dangerous to follow.

gwood
50 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

If you will be using a spray paint gun you will be able to obtain best results using an automotive enamel with a canalized hardener. Be sure to buy a good quality respirator and some full body protective overalls. follow all of the safety standards set forth by the manufacturer.

There are a ton of you-tube videos on painting, some good, some dangerous to follow.

gwood

Thanks for the response! After I sent my questions I found where members told of the paint they used. Have just signed up and the one fill in box mentioned "tags" and I didn't know what they wanted in there? Can you tell me?

gwood

Chris G

Welcome to RedSquare!!!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

BHunter

Hi. Welcome to RedSquare. I’ve been a car / tractor painter for over 30 yrs. I can help you with your questions. 

Bob

ebinmaine

@gwood

Welcome to Redsquare !!

You've found an unbelievable site full o the best info, knowledge, but best of all... People.

I've been on for a couple years and learned a lot.

Tags

My understanding is that they are a way of helping in the process of searching and identifying posts.

Not necessary to tag but helpful.

You can get good results from spray cans with a lot of patience to let it cure. 

rjg854

:WRS:  @gwood  like Eric said about tags, it could be a model # of the tractor you're working on, the problem you're trying to fix, a part.  Just something short that will help other who might be searching for something along those lines.

KC9KAS

@gwood :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Thanks 1

Achto

:WRS:   When you make your choice on which products you will use for your restoration, please read & follow the instructions provided with the product. Most important -Please remember to wear your PPE. 

Edited by Achto

The Tuul Crib
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@gwood

Welcome to Redsquare !!

You've found an unbelievable site full o the best info, knowledge, but best of all... People.

I've been on for a couple years and learned a lot.

Tags

My understanding is that they are a way of helping in the process of searching and identifying posts.

Not necessary to tag but helpful.

You can get good results from spray cans with a lot of patience to let it cure. 

What brand of spray can and how long of cure time?

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

What brand of spray can and how long of cure time?

Rust-Oleum 2X.... ONLY.

At room temperature it dries to usable in a couple days but really does not fully cure for as much as a month. That's not much of an issue for a lot of builds because it takes as long or more to get one done.

You may very well be aware but Trina is the one that does 99% of the spraying here at our location because she has better patience and control than I do.

She really likes the way that stuff lays out and it's not prone to running... If... You spray it in light layers.

• Like 2

gwood
10 hours ago, BHunter said:

Hi. Welcome to RedSquare. I’ve been a car / tractor painter for over 30 yrs. I can help you with your questions. 

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks so much for your willingness to help me on the painting process! Here is a couple of ones that will help me with my restoration.

I did completely tear down my 42" WH side discharge mower deck and painted it totally with Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra cover paint and primer, Gloss  After 1 year of mowing, that I painted under the deck is completely gone! Does folks use the same paint totally on the decks?

I'd appreciate knowing what paint you use, what type of sprayer, do you always completely tear down the item your painting?

I see a lot of discussion on rear wheel weights and I recently purchased a GT 1100 for parts and it had them on it, The # is 1307H1 and was mounted on the outside of the rims.

What color paint do you use for the rims, black for some areas and the light gray on the GT 1142 hood and fenders, etc?

Hope to hear from you!

gwood 

ebinmaine

That Rust-Oleum 2x will do you pretty well on the outside of the mower deck but there's really no standard paint that is going to put up with grass and dirt flying around under there. There will be others that chime in. There are Coatings that you can use on the bottom that will last a lot longer than regular paint. We don't mow here with a riding tractor so I don't have a comment as to anything specific being good or bad.

The Tuul Crib

I think on this build that I'm doing now I'm going to tractor supply in buying a couple quarts of the regal red and the catalyst or hardener to put in it. And possibly a clear on top to make it a little shiny .

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

I think on this build that I'm doing now I'm going to tractor supply in buying a couple quarts of the regal red and the catalyst or hardener to put in it. And possibly a clear on top to make it a little shiny .

I think that would give you the best bang for the buck so to speak.

I think it's important to note as a point of information that the reason we use spray cans is for convenience. I do now have a compressor but I still do not have a spraying setup.

We are not super concerned with that being one of our purchases because we are not trying to restore these tractors to showroom condition. Ours are all workers and will likely remain that way so the durability of paint for us is of less concern.

bottjernat1

I used rustoleum international red for my motor. a body shop used the same on my rj58 years ago. turned out pretty good. im not sure what white they used. but when i go to redo another i will use this white im thinking

Cub_Rust-Oleum_Paint_(Small).jpg

882525.jpg

IMG_1596.JPG

Edited by bottjernat1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, bottjernat1 said:

I used rustoleum international red for my motor. a body shop used the same on my rj58 years ago. turned out pretty good. im not sure what white they used. but when i go to redo another i will use this white im thinking

Cub_Rust-Oleum_Paint_(Small).jpg

882525.jpg

That one would be pretty close. In the 2 X Series we use Navajo white.

On my Cinnamon Horse c-160 the engine, Wheels, Dash, and Hood stripe are already or will all be that color

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
32 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I think that would give you the best bang for the buck so to speak.

I think it's important to note as a point of information that the reason we use spray cans is for convenience. I do now have a compressor but I still do not have a spraying setup.

We are not super concerned with that being one of our purchases because we are not trying to restore these tractors to showroom condition. Ours are all workers and will likely remain that way so the durability of paint for us is of less concern.

Have to agree with you there! It is a lot easier to use spray cans. I did that on my 855 and it didn't look half bad!

• Like 1

bottjernat1
9 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Have to agree with you there! It is a lot easier to use spray cans. I did that on my 855 and it didn't look half bad!

my rj is show room ready she was mostly done by a body shop. but the motor i did. i put 2 coats of primer 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear.  i now have everything to do painting myself i am just working on other peoples crap so i havent made time to tare down a horse and see what i can do. i am very proud of my rj alot time and money wen into it. i am glad my late dad got to see it before he passed away. He was super proud of it. i got it complete in 2015. it shines like a new car. i was impressed with the ol rattle can job i did on the motor. but my late dad and i restored many tractors this way. we did a hole 3010 john deere when i was a kid. it turned out ok. LOL! i agree tho a spray gun is a much better way to go. 

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, bottjernat1 said:

my rj is show room ready she was mostly done by a body shop. but the motor i did. i put 2 coats of primer 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear.  i now have everything to do painting myself i am just working on other peoples crap so i havent made time to tare down a horse and see what i can do. i am very proud of my rj alot time and money wen into it. i am glad my late dad got to see it before he passed away. He was super proud of it. i got it complete in 2015. it shines like a new car. i was impressed with the ol rattle can job i did on the motor. but my late dad and i restored many tractors this way. we did a hole 3010 john deere when i was a kid. it turned out ok. LOL! i agree tho a spray gun is a much better way to go. 

Yes I have to agree the RJ is a fine looking machine and the paint job looks pristine. Just need a little durability and it seems like spraying it with and a paint gun and makes it better

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

BHunter
8 hours ago, gwood said:

Hi Bob

Thanks so much for your willingness to help me on the painting process! Here is a couple of ones that will help me with my restoration.

I did completely tear down my 42" WH side discharge mower deck and painted it totally with Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra cover paint and primer, Gloss  After 1 year of mowing, that I painted under the deck is completely gone! Does folks use the same paint totally on the decks?

I'd appreciate knowing what paint you use, what type of sprayer, do you always completely tear down the item your painting?

I see a lot of discussion on rear wheel weights and I recently purchased a GT 1100 for parts and it had them on it, The # is 1307H1 and was mounted on the outside of the rims.

What color paint do you use for the rims, black for some areas and the light gray on the GT 1142 hood and fenders, etc?

Hope to hear from you!

gwood 

Hi gwood, Preparing the surface is very important for paint adhesion. I wire wheel the underside and get it as clean as possible. Then I wash with dawn dish soap and a scotch brite pad, then rinse. I apply a product called POR 15 with a paint brush. It flows out smooth. It is black but it’s fine for the bottom.  I paint the top with tractor enamel  paint  mixed with hardener and thinner from Tractor supply. You can get a decent spray gun from Eastwood  company. they sell all kinds of restoration equipment. 

Im not sure about the color choice for the GT 1100 . I never did one of those yet. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

One of my very first jobs out if high school was a Case/IH CUB CADET NewHolland farm equipment dealer, I spent 7 weeks wire brushing wire wheeling and D.A. sanding farm tractors, Cub Cadet garden tractors and various pieces of equipment then painting them with an older siphon feed spray gun, if were more than 1 tractor I believe I would invest in a HarborFreight HVLP gravity feed spray gun, there are "air" dry paints that aren't quite as nasty on your body but may be a bit "soft" after cured like spray bombs, or you can get the catalyst activated solvent dry paints that are more alone automotive grade, research research and research some more, but gun painting isn't any harder than rattle cans with a bit of practice, Jeff.

• Like 1