WHGuy413

310-8 no start with key

WHGuy413

Hey everyone. The 310-8 I scored for free the other day won't turn over using the key. I at first was thinking the battery was past its life and couldn't even be jumped so I tried going direct to the cables. Still nothing. @Crazywheelhorseman suggested I try jumping direct to the starter and it instantly turned over. For the heck of it I gave it a quick shot a carb clean and it fired right up. Figuring it would die I was ready to give it another. It continued to run like a champ. It purred like a kitten on 2 year old gas. I was able to drive it around in all 8 gears and it never missed a beat at full throttle idle and everything in between. Even the mower deck sounded great.

Now my question. What direction should I head to get it to turn over with the key? Do you think the starter solenoid could be bad or even the key switch? None of the red lights on the dash light up like my 416. Electrical stuff us not my specialty but I'm slowly learning.

I'm hoping to give this one to my brother in law.

Thanks in advance.

oldredrider

To get a good answer, need to know if it's a K series or Magnum engine. Different wiring between the two.

• Like 1

953 nut

281886180_1electrical.jpg.f53aecbcb9f94a89371c99034b9af4f5.jpg

WHGuy413
21 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

To get a good answer, need to know if it's a K series or Magnum engine. Different wiring between the two.

Magnum 

gwest_ca

The Magnum was used 1987, 1988 and 1989 plus more but the maroon hood decals indicate your tractor is 1989 or older. There were a few changes in this model over the years so the tractor model number and serial number help to identify what you have. If the decal under the seat is gone post all the numbers off the engine decal including the serial number to see if that will ID it.

Here are a couple of wiring diagrams in hopes one of them matches what you have. Click on the picture

Garry

peter lena

last horse I picked up was loaded with neglect, my first swap was all new fuses , with dielectric grease on the tabs. that by itself stopped similar starting issues. if I were you ,I would also dump that old gas , change the gas filter, and regularly add STABIL GAS TREATMENT  to it, that should be your base line on fuel.BERRYMAN  B-12 CHEMTOOL  at  3 $ a bottle is a very good deal at wally , that will steadily help clean out the grunge. hope your BIL helps in the recovery of this , these tractors are definitely worth saving , pete 

WHGuy413
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

last horse I picked up was loaded with neglect, my first swap was all new fuses , with dielectric grease on the tabs. that by itself stopped similar starting issues. if I were you ,I would also dump that old gas , change the gas filter, and regularly add STABIL GAS TREATMENT  to it, that should be your base line on fuel.BERRYMAN  B-12 CHEMTOOL  at  3 $ a bottle is a very good deal at wally , that will steadily help clean out the grunge. hope your BIL helps in the recovery of this , these tractors are definitely worth saving , pete 

Surprisingly this tractor looks like it has been taken care of its whole life unlike the last one I got from this guy. I checked all fuses and they are all good and the fuse block is clean. The guy said it ran when he parked it (I know we all hear this all the time but I believe him cause his kids bought him a new Toro and there is no way he could have pushed it or even pulled it to where it was sitting). I'm am gonna go completely thru this whole thing including draining the gas and filter. 

My brother in law is not that mechanically inclined. I am gonna set up a service and maintenence plan with him where it comes back to me so it stays in good shape. The deal we made is I'm giving him the tractor for the cost of anything I need to do to get it in good running operating condition. 

• Like 3

WHGuy413

Thankfully I got it running with the key tonight. I feel like an idiot. This is the exact message I just sent to @Crazywheelhorseman

This fine piece of steel was built with idiots in mind. It features safety switches for the pto, the seat, the clutch and oil. Guess who didn't take any of that in consideration and tried to start it like a tractor from the 50's 60's or early 70's. Yeah that's right this idiot.

I guess that's what I get for playing with so many of the early tractors😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

ohiofarmer
On 1/15/2019 at 9:01 PM, WHGuy413 said:

Thankfully I got it running with the key tonight. I feel like an idiot. This is the exact message I just sent to @Crazywheelhorseman

This fine piece of steel was built with idiots in mind. It features safety switches for the pto, the seat, the clutch and oil. Guess who didn't take any of that in consideration and tried to start it like a tractor from the 50's 60's or early 70's. Yeah that's right this idiot.

I guess that's what I get for playing with so many of the early tractors😂😂😂😂😂

Don't feel bad, Did the same thing when i did not center the auto transmission with the clutch pedal on a C-141