nickjet67

My B-115

nickjet67

Hello all, I recently acquired a "new" B-115, and with the help of @ohiofarmer, I will be fixing her up, first with a engine he is trading me for my old Kohler engine off my '77 B-80 that I trashed when I was 13. I haven't been in the Wheel horse game long, as I am 16 now, I hopefully will be able to keep this project updated on here, especially in the spring when I will be completely repainting it! I am super excited for this project, and am ready for all the challenges that lay ahead with it. if you have any helpful information you are willing to share about my newly acquired project, please share! I haven't had tons of luck finding tons of information about it.

20190114_150943.jpg

20190114_150950.jpg

20190114_150954.jpg

20190114_151005.jpg

20190114_151008.jpg

20190114_151016.jpg

20190114_151019.jpg

20190114_151028.jpg

20190114_151033.jpg

20190114_151034.jpg

• Like 7

gwest_ca

I think these links will take you to on-line parts lists. Parts that are priced should be available from any Toro dealer.

02-11BP02 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1980)

02-11BP03 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1981)

02-11BP04 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1981)

02-11BP05 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1982)

12-11BP01 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1983)

12-11BP02 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1984)

Looks like the ID plate is near the bottom of the battery on the right side at the bottom of the hoodstand. Model and serial will identify the tractor and with those we can provide more accurate info. The 2nd line on the plate may have the Julian build date. Let us know what they are. 

Left and right are always from the operators position in the seat.

This link will take you to 3 pages of files in no particular order for the B-115 5-speed.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=b-115 5-speed&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

Garry

nickjet67
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

I think these links will take you to on-line parts lists. Parts that are priced should be available from any Toro dealer.

02-11BP02 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1980)

02-11BP03 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1981)

02-11BP04 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1981)

02-11BP05 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1982)

12-11BP01 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1983)

12-11BP02 (B-115) - Toro B-115 5-Speed Tractor (1984)

Looks like the ID plate is near the bottom of the battery on the right side at the bottom of the hoodstand. Model and serial will identify the tractor and with those we can provide more accurate info. The 2nd line on the plate may have the Julian build date. Let us know what they are. 

Left and right are always from the operators position in the seat.

This link will take you to 3 pages of files in no particular order for the B-115 5-speed.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=b-115 5-speed&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

Garry

got it, thanks

20190110_210429.jpg

Edited by nickjet67

gwest_ca

Is the build date at the bottom on the plate 1296? Added it to the list so click on the picture.

Using the model number the file list is much shorter

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="02-11bp05"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

Garry

ohiofarmer

I have not yet spoken to this young man except for PM messages..  I have a 12.5 IC Briggs that needs some parts that we are already chasing down. By the size of the engine bay, it certainly looks possible.

Logistics are my daughter living in Ann Arbor which is 40 minutes away from Carelton. She is three hours from me in beautiful "Deploraville" Ohio.  I will get some pictures of the engine on here. She is coming home this weekend to return to Michigan on Monday.   I hope all that goes well as they are predicting a possible big snow event down here

Anyway, this young person is in High School and I am enthusiastic hoping we can help out. I have already had some replies about starters and an air cleaner housing for the engine. The engine ran strong till the starter failed about 2 years ago, so maybe some carb work and a new starter will sort it out.

Anyway, that tractor looks nice and straight...Just look at that seat!

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3

wildman

Your engine has the same foot print as the 11 that was in his rig and i do have the air cleaner assembly.He may have to come up with another throttle cable.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Pictures:

#16 shows that it is an IC engine with the magnetron ignigtion  #17 shows that the starter [positive] lug is broken off. The air cleaner housing is the type that has the wide to slim oval filter, and it is the base that the filter sits on that is cracked .  Excuse the green paint on the filter

Picture #20 shows the carb. There are two different carbs on this engine series.  One of them is a Walbro and I am not sure of the other one.

I talked to Nick, and he is a nice young man.  I hope that this engine works for him.  He did mention how enthusiastic this group is and how great the people are. That's what this hobby is all about--bringing on the next group.  I told Nick about Wheel Horse Addiction:greetings-clappingyellow: and he is already looking for the next one...

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

• Like 1

nickjet67
2 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Picturesimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b:

#16 shows that it is an IC engine with the magnetron ignigtion  #17 shows that the starter [positive] lug is broken off. The air cleaner housing is the type that has the wide to slim oval filter, and it is the base that the filter sits on that is cracked .  Excuse the green paint on the filter

Picture #20 shows the carb. There are two different carbs on this engine series.  One of them is a Walbro and I am not sure of the other one.

I talked to Nick, and he is a nice young man.  I hope that this engine works for him.  He did mention how enthusiastic this group is and how great the people are. That's what this hobby is all about--bringing on the next group.  I told Nick about Wheel Horse Addiction:greetings-clappingyellow: and he is already looking for the next one...

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

I am super excited about this engine now! this thing is in mint condition!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I had a very similar engine in a smaller tractor of another brand. It was a great runner.

That tractor was the one in my adult life that got me into horses because I needed something that weighed more so I could haul more.

Nick you'll be happy with that when you get it going.

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

I would not call that motor mint condition. I cleaned some oil off it in the interest of getting good pictures.  When you take off the tins to check for mouse nests, then you can check for where the leak might be.  Probably just a gasket as i don't think it ever used much oil

Actually, this is the old tractor that got me started on the older Wheel Horses. After buying the old craftsman, I found a good deal on a raider10 and found that I actually preferred the Raider to my 400 series WH because it would walk right in to the tall grass with more cutting power. Even in a locked barn, you do not want to leave a mower that you paid gobs of money for. With another tractor on the home place, I can just have it ready to go and mow the yard with a motorcycle ride instead of trailering another mower up there

Anyway, I am going to crate that engine up so it stays upright in the trunk of my daughter's car.

• Like 1

nickjet67
5 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

I would not call that motor mint condition. I cleaned some oil off it in the interest of getting good pictures.  When you take off the tins to check for mouse nests, then you can check for where the leak might be.  Probably just a gasket as i don't think it ever used much oil

Actually, this is the old tractor that got me started on the older Wheel Horses. After buying the old craftsman, I found a good deal on a raider10 and found that I actually preferred the Raider to my 400 series WH because it would walk right in to the tall grass with more cutting power. Even in a locked barn, you do not want to leave a mower that you paid gobs of money for. With another tractor on the home place, I can just have it ready to go and mow the yard with a motorcycle ride instead of trailering another mower up there

Anyway, I am going to crate that engine up so it stays upright in the trunk of my daughter's car.

I will do the same for you, I still believe its gonna do just fine! It'll be mint (eventually haha)

wallfish

@nickjet67

I have an old B165 that's been sitting out there for a while. It should basically be the same tractor except it is 16 hp Twin Briggs engine. Some parts have been picked off for other builds but if you need anything, just let me know and i'll take a look. If it's there you can have it!

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

Pullstart

So cool seeing a younger generation getting into tractors!  I used to think Imwas the younger generation!

• Like 1

Howie

That starter could be fixed relatively easily. Briggs part number 691293. around 21 dollars.

• Thanks 1

nickjet67
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

@nickjet67

I have an old B165 that's been sitting out there for a while. It should basically be the same tractor except it is 16 hp Twin Briggs engine. Some parts have been picked off for other builds but if you need anything, just let me know and i'll take a look. If it's there you can have it!

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

nickjet67
25 minutes ago, Howie said:

That starter could be fixed relatively easily. Briggs part number 691293. around 21 dollars.

Thank you! I may be getting a free one from my grandpa, he does the same thing, but he loves simplicity tractors

nickjet67

UPDATE: I am looking for a 37¨ snowthrower, I am in dire need of this, as the late Michigan winter is now upon us. If anybody has a 06-42BB01 (1982) snowthrower that they are willing to sell or trade, I am willing to purchase it. I also am looking for the hour meter, and the charging meter, the hour meter is part # 8-2007, no clue about the charging meter. Along with that, wheel weights (8-1135), chains (8-2722, new # 82722), fuel tank (108413), and maybe even a weight box (8-1136). Thanks to anybody who reads this or considers. :D:wh:

Edited by nickjet67
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nick you will enjoy that tractor when you get it up and running again, I see you're already figuring out we have a top notch group here with members always willing to jump in and give advice or help sourcing a part one needs to finish that certain project. Looking forward to seeing your progress as you get that Horse up and working again

• Like 1

nickjet67

@Professor1990 I definitely will be keeping this thread updated about my progress on it. That being said, I did the trade last night with @ohiofarmer where he gave me the 12.5hp Briggs and the 8hp Kohler I had sitting around doing nothing. Super excited and will hopefully get her running this week!

• Like 1

nickjet67

I am now having some issues with the starter (I got a new one), I am not sure whats up with it. I was just testing it out to see if it would turn over, and it will go up into the flywheel, but it wont turn over for some reason. I was using a 40A 12V jumper box, even that wont get her going. any help is greatly appreciated!

wallfish

pull the spark plug out and try it. That will give you an idea if the starter gear is meshing with the flywheel properly and if the compression stroke is what's stopping it from turning. It should spin fast and free. If not we need to internet diagnose.

On vert engines, if the carb bowl valve leaks it could fill the cylinder with fuel. That will stop it when it tries to compress the fuel

Edited by wallfish

ericj
6 minutes ago, wallfish said:

On vert engines, if the carb bowl valve leaks it could fill the cylinder with fuel. That will stop it when it tries to compress the fuel

Did the motor have oil in it when it was being moved around. I've seen oil go past the rings when the motor has been turned the wrong way during transportation.

Got my generator out of the metal dumpster at work years ago. couldn't pull the starter rope till we pulled the plug, shot oil everywhere.:hide:

eric j  

oldredrider

Your 40 amp power supply may be inadequate. That size motor usually requires a battery with 4 times the amps..160 CCA.

ohiofarmer

One thing i wish i would have done before I sent that motor up north is simply check to see that it would turn by hand. That being said, what I always do to any new to me motor is use a quality penetrating oil through the spark plug hole. Not lots and lots of it, but a squirt every day for 3-5 days   That engine ran fine, but sat inside for maybe three years. It is possible that things are a little dry inside the piston.. Watch how this guy does it, maybe starting at the 14 minute mark [on a seized engine]  Wow.

I bought a goldwing motorcycle that sat for fifteen years. I put the penetrating oil in the pistons through the valves and spun it over after letting it sit for a week. Took a compression test with only one piston showing 150 pSI and the others sorely lacking.  Thinking i had a paperweight for an engine I adjusted the valves and all cylinders are at 159PSI. A squirt of carb cleaner and I had fire in the hole 

Edited by ohiofarmer

nickjet67
15 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Your 40 amp power supply may be inadequate. That size motor usually requires a battery with 4 times the amps..160 CCA.

I also tried it on the 200A engine start mode, it still didnt, @wallfish and @ericj I have not tried pulling the plug, the engine was on a pallet when I traded it with @ohiofarmer. The engine does turn freely by just my hand, so I doubt it would be an issue with that, maybe I just have something off with my timing? it wounds like I might be in for another engine dissection... I will send pictues of how it is mashing when I get home, the starter was also $5 from the local briggs dealer (perks of your grandpa also being in the tractor game)