Bo$$ton

ThE NeW WhEeLhOrSe GuY

Bo$$ton

Hi everyone I’m joe from Massachusetts and I’m a new proud owner of a 93 wheelhorse 520-h that i love but I knew when I bought it it leaked little oil from the back the guy said and he drove it around ran good I couldn’t drive it because it was me my 2 and 1 yr old seen it on the side of road. So long story short got a good deal but now I have it home runs awesome but it leaks oil from under the seat and goes in reverse slow real slow sometimes it will go fast then most of the time barely crawl in reverse so I’m not no mechanic I’d appreciate any help on what the problem could be please and thank u.

A6552D9B-E44B-448B-A4E9-EB1CF72CBEBE.jpeg

3DF62E23-450B-4849-AAA8-B1BCCABD5138.jpeg

619AD431-276F-4C97-964D-4A1E3C519F77.jpeg

CF00C86D-6151-4BE7-A22E-8DFBFBE58ADF.jpeg

BCE385E1-4807-48C9-913F-843B13353159.jpeg

897EE896-6C23-4A70-B733-E86ADC366FB3.jpeg

6C2E8A73-8196-4857-AD1D-E63016CDA7A4.jpeg

• Like 5

WHX??

Hello Joe and :WRS:

1st thing we would have you do is give it a little bath and see if you can spot where it is leaking. If you don't have a pressure washer perhaps a nearby self serve car wash that does? Check around the hydraulic filter located at the rear to the left of the fuel tank make sure it's tight and the proper one. Just in front of the filter are some hydraulic lines and fitting check those as well. Use a bright flashlight and look for signs of fresh oil. You may want to remove the seat pan/fenders to aid in cleaning and leak checking. A 9/16 wrench/socket and four bolts is all it takes for removal. Under the seat pan you will see some linkage and the finned  hydro pump and fan. Make sure those fins are clean and things are not packed with grass clippings and dirt.

Right on top of that pump is the motion control linkage. You will most likely have to clean that and readjust to solve your motion problem. The adjustment procedure will be in the manual or ask if any questions.

Others will be along to welcome you and offer tips.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

hello Joe, I agree with whx21,on that fluid look around , that fluid leak is probably causing your reverse issue, with low fluid. you might even try some spray engine cleaner and a soft brush, then rinse it down. that oil leak could be pressure hose , from the way your unit is covered. you will have to clean it dry to find the source. the seat / fender removal is the best way to find your problem. mower deck looks a little grungy , probably just a good clean up, most important area is the underside. usually neglected and packed with rotting grass. hope you can scrape it down and remove all the dried grass build up, after that, I would penetrating oil spray it down and leave it upside down over winter to soak on the oil and kill off the grunge. if the deck is solid with no rot, consider yourself lucky, but your baseline, initial look see is vital to stop and preserve what you have . there will be more tips , good luck , pete

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Bo$$ton :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Here is the manual for the Eaton 1100 transmission on your :wh:. Chances are that the slow in reverse is a linkage issue as Jim @WHX21 suggested. Be sure the filter on the transmission is a hydraulic filter (NAPA 1410 or equivalent). Once you have cleaned it up and localized the source of the leak we can help you with a repair strategy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:, here's a pictorial of what you probably have going on...besides the nasty mess of rotting grass dust and chaffe, the rubber fuel line was hardened and rotting away from ethanol deterioration, Good luck, try searching "Good Friday 520" for more info, Jeff.

IMAG2017.jpg

IMAG2018.jpg

IMAG2019.jpg

IMAG2022.jpg

IMAG2033.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
17 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

nasty mess of rotting grass dust and chaffe,

Yes especially with what you have, a RD (rear discharge) deck.

Many of us like to do a full fluid & filter change on a new to us tractor. Then we know we have the proper filter/oil type as well.  Gives you a baseline for future regular changes.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: JOE @Bo$$ton!

WHGuy413

Another Massachusetts horse owner. Welcome. There is a boat load of knowledge on this page. I agree with everyone that said to clean it up and try to find the leak. That should be the first step anyway.

bottjernat1

:text-welcomewave:

BOB ELLISON

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Best place I know for information on :wh:

Bo$$ton

Thank u all for the suggestions hopefully this weekend I can get a chance to give my baby a bath and check to see if I can find where the leak is coming from and hopefully fix her up tough with two little kids running around but thanks and I’ll keep u guys posted.

• Like 2

jay bee

:WRS:  Joe

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti: As you clean it up, we want more :wwp:  

As already said, there are a lot of helpful people that can walk you through repairing any problems.

• Like 1