AHenry014

Craiglist Email Notification Strikes Again!! 1984 Work Horse GT-1600

AHenry014

My luck has been pretty good lately with Wheel Horse finds.  Picked up a 312-8/plow a couple months ago that I serviced and sent on its way.  Next came my 418-C, which i am totally keeping for the foreseeable future.  This past Saturday i awake and pick up my phone to find a new Craigslist alert email.  Less than an hour after it was posted, I was reading the ad for a 1984 GT-1600.  Cliffnotes of the ad body were "Parked 3 years ago when my son-in-law lost interest in it", "Runs if you pour gas down the carb" and "sorry its a bit dusty".  The few pictures in the ad indicated that it was no longer grey, but now red.  A bit of a bummer in my eyes as i used to own a Work Horse and loved the odd coloring.  The best part is that it featured a plow and rear wheel horse wheel weights.  For 300 bucks with those accessories, how could i go wrong?!  I happened to be the first to call at around 8am.  About an hour and a half later, it was on my trailer on its way home.  The guy couldnt believe the interest he had in it.  He said he fielded another 5 callers after me!

Its in great shape and appears to have very low hours.  The drive belt looks great and the 10yr old battery even holds a charge.  The paint job actually looks quite good.  Someone masked the stickers carefully prior to painting.  Got her rolled into the garage and apart in no time.  With something like this that hasnt run in years, my first stop is the carb, but this time started at the fuel pump. The insides of the fuel pump on the carb had seen better days, so we went and picked up a rebuild kit for it.  Got that back together and cracked open the carb to find some ugliness at the bottom of the bowl.  I removed the idle jet screw and cleaned it out with carb clean and compressed air. 

"Hey Matt, have you seen the idle screw? It should be next to the screw spring, which is right here!". 

As luck would have it, I misplaced the screw and had to order a new one.  In the meantime, i found the petcock to be clogged and the grommet leaked, so i have one of those on order as well after spilling about a gallon of gas on the floor.  Saw that the shift boot was cracked, so ponied up for a new one of those too.  I expect those parts later this week.  I am not sure what my plans are for this one.  Its a perfect time to sell it as it is snow season, but i really like it! It should be a very capable machine with that big 16hp twin in it.  It would be kind of neat to see how it does next to the hydro tractor at next years tractorpalooza event!  And its always good to have a spare on hand should something go wrong with the main steed. 

Only have one picture of it so far, but will post more as the project moves along.  

IMG_2387.jpg

Edited by AHenry014
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

Looks like a keeper to me.Most Horse's that I've gotten   rid of,I regret at some point.What engine is in that 418-C? Briggs twin?Have fun with your new toy.

AHenry014
20 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Looks like a keeper to me.Most Horse's that I've gotten   rid of,I regret at some point.What engine is in that 418-C? Briggs twin?Have fun with your new toy.

The 418-C has a 18hp Kohler Magnum Twin in it.  Very strong engine.  I really am leaning towards keep this one.  I regret getting rid of my most recent 312-8 i picked up on the cheap side.  I also regret parting ways with my GT-1100.  I didnt realize how nice that tractor was until it was gone.  

• Thanks 1

midpack

I saw that one come up....

WHX??
1 hour ago, AHenry014 said:

He said he fielded another 5 callers after me!

Prolly all those other CT horse addicts ...including Midpack!

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

wallfish

Just the wheel weights alone are a good score

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Wishin4a416

Nice score! The cast weights are almost worth your investment. Are you sure it was gray? Some workhorses came from the factory Red.

• Like 1

AHenry014

Yea once i saw the weights i knew i had to try to get my hands on it! It was grey at one point.  If you look closely enough at the edges of the stickers, you can see the grey.  Can also be seen on the bottom of the hood and the seat pan.  

• Like 2

Racinbob

All the Work Horses in the 80's were gray. The red Work Horses were way earlier like the 700 and 800. I walked into Countywide Wheel Horse back in 85 and bought a new GT-1100 they had on display because the price was so right. Great tractor. It didn't come with any attachments but I had a spare 48" deck to put on it and it handled it like a dream. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sparky
5 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

The guy couldnt believe the interest he had in it.  He said he fielded another 5 callers after me!

And I was one of those 5 callers! 

Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
4 hours ago, Racinbob said:

because the price was so right. Great tractor. It didn't come with any attachments but I had a spare 48" deck to put on it and it handled it like a dream. :)

And you didn't buy Bob because?!?!? 

Look out Henry Sparkeye may come a rustlin :ph34r: :ychain: 

c-series don

The weights alone are worth almost that much. Still no concrete evidence that work horses came in red. I bought mine brand new in 1984 and have been a work horse enthusiast since then. I know that some people have painted them red and done a nice job but to this day nobody has produced factory paperwork stating they came in red. I’d be happy if someone would prove me wrong and lay this to rest!! I don’t know how to tag “Craig AMC Rules” on this but he knows that we have talked about this before. 

chip61

Great score!! I really like the Workhorse color scheme. I have a rough 416-H that I really want to tear down and paint grey but I just can't seem to find the time. It's had a rough life and needs some tires and some help with the wiring but it somehow still drives good and the hydro seems pretty solid. I'm pretty sure it spent most of it's life outside before I got it.

AHenry014
12 hours ago, Sparky said:

And I was one of those 5 callers! 

Congrats!

Thank you sir!! The parts i ordered are due to arrive on Thursday, so ill be in the garage that night for sure! 

9 hours ago, c-series don said:

The weights alone are worth almost that much. 

I honestly had no idea they were worth that much.  I have a couple sets of weights right now, and depending on their weight they go for $1/lb.  I tacked on a little for rarity and was thinking they were worth 150 or so (they are 50lbs/per correct?).  In any event, i am very happy/lucky to have this tractor in my garage.  

Racinbob
9 hours ago, WHX21 said:

And you didn't buy Bob because?!?!? 

Look out Henry Sparkeye may come a rustlin :ph34r: :ychain: 

Read my post again Jim. I DID buy it...…:orcs-cheers:

• Excellent 1

Sparky
3 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

I honestly had no idea they were worth that much.  I have a couple sets of weights right now, and depending on their weight they go for $1/lb.  I tacked on a little for rarity and was thinking they were worth 150 or so (they are 50lbs/per correct?).  

I think $300 is very high for those weights. They are more in the $150-$200 range. If it was a complete set of rear and front weights then $300 would be spot on. 

midpack
20 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Prolly all those other CT horse addicts ...including Midpack!

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright:

you definitely gotta be fast around here!!!  lol

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Thanks @AHenry014, I’ve never used Craigslist notifications.  Now I’ve got a page of them active!

AHenry014

So....I found the needle!! I was just tinkering with it last night, trying to be patient waiting for parts when the idle jet screw falls from somewhere near the PTO.   Must have blown off when j was cleaning the carb. Oops! I am still waiting on the petcock, so I fed a line into a gas can and she fired right up and it runs great. A bit of blue haze but I think that will clear up with more run time.  After a bit of cranking, the battery dwindled away, so I guess the 10yr old battery won’t do. Shucks. 

Tonight, we drive!!

One issue ill need to resolve is that it did not shut down with the key.  So ill be searching for a wiring diagram next.  EDIT: Got the diagram.  Thank goodness to all you folks that downloaded manuals and diagrams!

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

Edited by AHenry014
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ericj

If I recall correctly the briggs ran a magneto ignition. there should be a separate wire on the ignition switch that grounds out the magneto to shut the tractor off. good luck

eric j 

Pullstart
39 minutes ago, ericj said:

If I recall correctly the briggs ran a magneto ignition. there should be a separate wire on the ignition switch that grounds out the magneto to shut the tractor off. good luck

eric j 

I believe you’re correct.  My wood splitter had an 18 horse Briggs that I owe parts to @Whnewone... it had a kill switch for shut down.

Blackhood Bill

Yes pullstart and Eric you are correct Briggs has a magneto.

AHenry014

Got the wiring figured out last night.  I had unscrewed the panel that the key switch is in so i could route the fuel line.  I took one look at the wiring diagram and said "DUHHHH".  Used a screw driver to ground the panel to the chassis and it shut right down.  Got the new petcock in last night and it starts and runs beautifully.  I think ill be keeping this tractor.  It would look nice with a 48" mower deck under it! Or maybe a second tractor for plowing the driveway.....Or maybe trade the plow for a snowthrower!! The options!!

Next steps are getting the new shift boot on there and the transaxle fluid changed.  Otherwise its pretty well ready to go! Thanks all for the help.  I will keep this thread updated with progress should there be any developments.  

• Like 1

953 nut
8 minutes ago, AHenry014 said:

I took one look at the wiring diagram and said "DUHHHH".  Used a screw driver to ground the panel to the chassis and it shut right down. 

:handgestures-thumbupright:        Was just looking at this post and was about to suggest the switch wasn't grounded, glad you found it.

• Haha 1

AHenry014

Got the new shift boot installed and the tins back on yesterday.  Her maiden voyage out of the garage was a success.  Needed to make room for the jeep for this ice storm we had yesterday.  Unfortunately, I didnt get a chance to change the rear axle fluid, but will do so in the spring, when the fluid is a bit easier to use.  It starts way easier than my kohler twin so it might be time for a fuel pump rebuild on it.   Will post back with pictures soon!