Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

416 PTO safety switch help..

stevebo

Okay today i put a mower deck with bagger on my "plow tractor" that I got this winter. It is a 416-8 with Kohler single. When I engaged the pto the motor dies. I would assume it is the pto safety switch however I am not sure if there is a way to bypass that ? If anyone has any suggestions on how I can test it tat would be great. Thanks- Steve Bo

TT

Put a jumper between the two wires on the seat switch and try it, Steve. That's usually where you'll find the problem.

The ignition safety interlock switch on the PTO lever should have yellow wires.

If you connect those two wires you'll bypass entire safety interlock circuit - including the seat switch.

WHC-125

Steve, before you connect the wires take them off the switch and spray WD-40 on the terminals and press the switch a few times and if that dont work then connect them. I have done that numerous times on many tractors. Usually condensation gets in their and erodes the connections and terminals.

stevebo

TT, as always a book of knowledge, thanks!

jimbotelho

steve i am having this same problem on the 416 i just cleaned up I wont say restored ok but the same thing is happened to me installed the deck and engage the lever and the engine dies. is it safe to say that the seat switch is bad or pto switch is there an adjustment problem with the pto ? by the way my cleanup tractor looks decent

WH nut

The Pto switch will only keep you from starting, Its the seat switch

jimbotelho

The Pto switch will only keep you from starting, Its the seat switch

thanks if I jump it out (seat switch) then the pto should work?