ClassicTractorProfessor

Opinions On These Wheels

953 nut

If those were my only choices I would tale what is behind door #2. Not a big fan of them, but they are more attractive than the first set in my humble opinion.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

I like both options Bryce!  I always wanted those American Racing wheels on a square body S10.  I think those are the AR-767 or something of the like?  I just wish they were directional...  lefts and rights.  I also like black wheels on the right vehicle.  And also, I’m a believer that the wheel should be no more than 50% of the overall diameter.  40” tires?  Sure 20’s are acceptable!  23” tires?  No way should 20’s be rolling along!

• Like 2

aghead

My opinion, I do not like either.

953 nut
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

I always wanted those American Racing wheels

I'm old school,  this is what American Racing Wheels look like to me!

Image result for american racing wheels

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

:text-yeahthat:Now you’re talking. Never out of style and pretty much make anything look better

• Like 1

bottjernat1
17 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

These were 15x10 wheels on my F250. Kids:laughing-rolling:

B3B1C143-21DF-4130-8C14-3675D75AA06D.jpeg

What year is the truck a 78? My late dad had a 78 good old truck!

• Thanks 1

19richie66

I believe it was a 79 but basically the same truck. This had the 351/400M with a C6 automatic. This was as I got it. I put a set of 42" Super Swampers on it and got rid of the ground hawgs. After a tassel with the Daytona Beach Police Dept regarding bumper height laws, It got set back down on a set of 35" swampers later. I am so glad I am out of that phase and found Wheel Horse tractors. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

clueless
17 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I believe it was a 79 but basically the same truck. This had the 351/400M with a C6 automatic. This was as I got it. I put a set of 42" Super Swampers on it and got rid of the ground hawgs. After a tassel with the Daytona Beach Police Dept regarding bumper height laws, It got set back down on a set of 35" swampers later. I am so glad I am out of that phase and found Wheel Horse tractors. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Rich, at your age, if you still had that truck you could easily pull a hammy or worse a groin muscle climbing in that thing :o.

• Haha 2

19richie66

I would need a lift for sure.

clueless
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I'm old school,  this is what American Racing Wheels look like to me!

Image result for american racing wheels

Oldskool :thumbs::auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

clueless

First go to a few tire shops and check out the availability of 15 inch tires. Not much to choose from, if any.

• Sad 1

LengerichKA88
19 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

These were 15x10 wheels on my F250. Kids:laughing-rolling:

B3B1C143-21DF-4130-8C14-3675D75AA06D.jpeg

I think I had that exact Hotwheel... or was it Matchbox? 

I vote to scrap both rims, and make the “20’s” kid carry these in 😂😂😂

97A97B60-A7AD-44EB-962B-2BA879AD8DF4.png

Sarge

Here's my take on it -

The tires/wheels have to fit the looks of the vehicle. Stick a set of machined/cast aluminum 20"+ wheels on a '68 Charger and I'd knock your teeth out - they just don't belong to the looks of the car. In fact, to me, they are so ugly it should be a law. I've only ever seen a very few tasteful larger versions of the right style to make things look right on vintage vehicles - it is a really tough thing to pull off. As to vehicles built in the '90s, well, that's sort of a gray area as the styles were changing a lot. If that truck in question was a square body - I'd absolutely vote to keep it on a 15" or 16" wheel. But, being a Stepside, now the possibilities have opened up more due to its styling cues. There is some light vintage looking 18" wheels available now as well as 17" sizes. Hunt around on sites like Tire Rack that allow a stock photo to change the wheel looks with the various options - I've found it quite handy if they cover your model to compare how they will look when installed. It sure beats buying wheels and having to return them. Another option is to search through Google photos at restored vehicles of the same era - you'd be surprised at people's various opinions but it can be tough to figure out what exact model wheel you'll find in a picture. Summit Racing and Jeg's are another good source for wheels that fit the looks of early '90s trucks - they have new, stock looking rims in both stock and larger diameters available now new versus trying to find a good set and restore them. 

On an early '90s stepside, I'd stick to nothing larger than a 17" wheel, otherwise, it would look out of place. My old Land Cruiser would have looked quite stupid with a set of 20" wheels under it, regardless of the tire size. But, the 20" Limited wheels on my '14 Dodge pickup look right at home - they must fit the looks of the vehicle. You're almost stuck with something larger than a 15" due to tire choices, that size is almost phased out now and going up in price a lot compared to just a few years ago.

Sarge

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
42 minutes ago, Sarge said:

You're almost stuck with something larger than a 15" due to tire choices, that size is almost phased out now and going up in price a lot compared to just a few years ago.

Sarge

I remember in high school I could spend just over 180 for four 15in tires mounted. 

Last time (been a few years) I needed a 15in tire it was close to 100 bucks for one, and they only had one tire in stock that was a 15in. That was the only 15in tire the place stocked. I had to get it because it was the only one on the shelf I’d found.  

Thats why I like our HHR now, 16in rims, tires can still be found between 45-60 bucks a pop.