Blackhood Bill

Blowed spark plug

oliver2-44

The H10C spark plug is correct for this engine, so your good there.

richmondred01

Striped plug treads are very common on these engines. A properly intstalled helicoil should give you no more problems.

bc.gold
13 hours ago, Whnewone said:

To my knowledge yes had that installed by a mechanic who does nothing but work on garden tractor engines.

Improper thread repair.

• Thanks 1

R. L. Addison

IO would say both heads have been over-torqued and threads were damaged @ that point. I was guilty of  that for many years  (cast iron heads, so no damage) and do not remember what made me realize it. I think if it was me, I would put a 3/8 pipe plug in the hole & drill & tap for the H10 plug & try one of the heads I have, think that will take care of the problem. Welcome to RS

Blackhood Bill

Ok, after doing some reading on ACR, I also read, on my tractor forum, what about valve lash being to tight? Would this disable the ACR?  Since I don't know anything about repairs that was or could have been made to this Kohler K321, I guess I should read the service manual and just kinda check everything. I have also cleaned off the top of the surface area where gasket sits and the top of the valves and no it does NOT look to have been sleeved.

IMG_0114.JPG

• Thanks 1

oldredrider

A sleeve would be obvious. You could visually see it...about 1/16" in cylinder. 

953 nut
On 1/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, Whnewone said:

Turned over fairly easy and fires right up

:confusion-confused:If it ran good I would say there is a lot of overthinking goin on!   

The spark plug came out because someone had ruined the threads and a good head will solve the problem. Don't screw around with anything until the replacement head has been installed and the engine has been run. Once it has been brought up to operating temperature be sure to hot torque the head bolts. If it runs well then enjoy the ride, if not then let us know.   :soapbox:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

953 nut should I torgue to proper specifications and retorgue after hot or just tighten then torgue after hot? New head should be Friday along with new gasket.

Edited by Whnewone

953 nut
12 minutes ago, Whnewone said:

953 nut should I torgue to proper specifications and retorgue after hot or just tighten then torgue after hot? New head should be Friday along with new gasket.

Torque the head bolts to the proper amount and sequence then use the same sequence as the initial torquing and the same amount of torque to complete the process. You will find that they will turn another half turn or more.

Blackhood Bill

Thank you:bow-blue:

Blackhood Bill

Thanks to all my :wh: friends here THANK YOU IM BACK UP AND RUNNING AND READY FOR THE SNOW. The C-145 even sounds better now!:banana-rock: I'm am so thankful I found this forum. Hope to meet you all in the future!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Howie

I know this is a little late to the party, on the head retorque the engine needs to go through a complete heat the

cool down and then retorque.

Here's the paragraph from the Kohler manual;" After reaching the final torque value, run engine for 15 minutes, stop, and allow to cool.

Then, sequentially retorque the head bolts to the specified torque value."

Glad you got it running!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

After blowing spark plug out of head, replacing head, replacing spark plugs and, I finally got some seat time and the satisfaction of knowing the :wh: is back up and running strong as ever.

IMG_0115.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2