ztnoo

Values of running Kohler K90 & K91 engines?

ztnoo

Seeking advise and input from those experienced in dealing with these engines.

In today's world, in the Midwest, what is a running K90 or K91 worth, regardless of what it was installed on or how it was used???

What say the Small Bore Kohler Gurus???

Achto

If you check out the :techie-ebay:postings people are asking more than $400 for so called running k91's and around $150ish for ones that are less than complete. The last one that I bought I paid $140 for locally. It ran but... every mosquito for a 2 block radius was instantly killed or chased away by the cloud of smoke that spewed out of it when I started it. I have not found any rebuild kits for these so all the parts need to be purchased separately "if you can find them". After spending another $300+ I rebuilt mine and had it running like new.

As a note Kohler has been continually discontinuing parts for these and the after market companies don't seem to be picking them up.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

wallfish

Can't answer your question directly but..

The K90 is probably worth more than the K91

I've seen updraft oil bath filters sell for ridiculous money so that's something to look for.

Most I see for sale don't have a recoil starter on them so that's always a plus. MORE so if it has a Schnake recoil.

I buy them when I see them at $100-$150. running. Have bought some cheaper but they weren't running. Definitely don't see them for sale as often like they were in the past.

When you say " regardless of what it was installed on or how it was used??? ", some had 6:1 reduction gears

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: With tapered cranks that don't accept an engine an engine pulley.

• Like 2

WHNJ701

it's a matter of just being patient, making good contacts and being at the right place at the right time.  I am cheap, the last 3 k91's I picked up 2 run 1 needs a rebuild I paid 75 bucks for the 3.

as in a previous I am not seeing as many of them out there 

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, ztnoo said:

what is a running K90 or K91 worth, regardless of what it was installed on or how it was used???

If you have a totally roached out K 90/91 with a good crank then the prior application of the one you buy is immaterial. If you want to build a completely "Original" restoration it is wort whatever you and the seller agree on.

formariz

There a few of these here!:popcorn:

IMG_4257.JPG.b390ee7905c158ad5fecd3d2a0be0239.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: :text-yeahthat:...but, FYI no :wh: came from the factory with an electric start K-90/91 installed on it. 

formariz
9 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: :text-yeahthat:...but, FYI no :wh: came from the factory with an electric start K-90/91 installed on it. 

Oh you mean like the red ones? There are quite a few of them here too.:D

IMG_1647.JPG.bc0b69f175b3555b9aae6fb35ab95091.JPG

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Red, blue, or pink...

don't matter, didn't happen.  :angry-nono:

formariz

All kidding aside and to the point, now, they are increasingly hard to find. I noticed a big difference in the last few years around here, since I am always looking for them. Normal price around here is about $150.00 to $200.00 for a running one. That of course does not tell the whole story about it as Achto mentioned Many times one gets lucky and they are really good.Anything Kohler K series that I come across NOS ( and they are out there) comes home with me. I found many in old repair shops that had them for many years and were just cleaning up. Last haul was 2 NOS k301 and a NOS k181.Decades of grime and dust on them but pristine inside. All 3 were $150.00.

• Like 2

ztnoo
3 hours ago, formariz said:

they are increasingly hard to find. I noticed a big difference in the last few years around here, since I am always looking for them. Normal price around here is about $150.00 to $200.00 for a running one. That of course does not tell the whole story about it as Achto mentioned Many times one gets lucky and they are really good.Anything Kohler K series that I come across NOS ( and they are out there) comes home with me. I found many in old repair shops that had them for many years and were just cleaning up. Last haul was 2 NOS k301 and a NOS k181.Decades of grime and dust on them but pristine inside. All 3 were $150.00.

:o Wow!!!

Now, if I can just get the seller to reply to me, maybe I'll have another tangent and diversion, which in reality, I don't need. Oh, what the hell......... It's mostly about seller responsiveness more than anything. Without a phone #, its all about whether they reply online.

C'est la vie....... 

• Like 1

WHNJ701

this is neat manual, it's actually a k90 book and at some point the white k90/k91 sticker was added 

20190111_203350.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo
4 minutes ago, jabelman said:

at some point the white k90/k91 sticker was added

Meaning to include the K91 after the original publication manual?

In simplistic terms, an aftermarket (after thought) way to make the info included therein to apply to the newer series designation.

Simple economics.

A sticker as opposed to a whole new printed edition. Brilliant!

Where did this philosophy get side-tracked in America???

You own this manual?

• Like 1

WHNJ701

yes I have it, along with k160 one

• Like 1

ztnoo

That would make great file material for Garry to post to the file section.........if its not already there.

I haven't checked or researched that idea...... umm.gif.7a3516389fe7f58ec6a021e906bc81c7.gif

WHX??

Dan @Achto...dang the museum I gotta go on a mission from God.....more to follow should I succeed. ..

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo
19 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I gotta go on a mission from God.....more to follow should I succeed. ..

May THE FORCE be with you!

bluesbros.jpg

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701

I just did a quick search there is a k91 for sale by me 15 minutes away for 65 bucks 

• Like 2

ztnoo
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

there is a k91 for sale by me 15 minutes away for 65 bucks 

Well, this is sign. 

You are on a mission from God. :auto-layrubber::woohoo: 3tens.gif.59e166358fa3f348a74493e8fb9c006c.gif

Have at it!

rjg854

Go get it, if nothing else you can always resell it to one of us members who wants one!  :text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

WHNJ701
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Go get it, if nothing else you can always resell it to one of us members who wants one!  :text-yeahthat:

I might, it's a later model k91 the tag says kohler of Mexico?

vyt
On 1/10/2019 at 2:37 PM, ztnoo said:

Seeking advise and input from those experienced in dealing with these engines.

In today's world, in the Midwest, what is a running K90 or K91 worth, regardless of what it was installed on or how it was used???

What say the Small Bore Kohler Gurus???

My name is Vito. I live i  so. California and I have a brand new,( still in the factory box), Kohler K91. Has never been used. It's never had gas or oil added. It's been in the back of my garage since 1985. Has a rope starter, and oil bath filter.

It's been out of the box no more than five times for inspection.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:wwp:  :text-coolphotos:

953 nut
1 hour ago, vyt said:

My name is Vito. I live i  so. California and I have a brand new,( still in the factory box), Kohler K91. Has never been used. It's never had gas or oil added. It's been in the back of my garage since 1985. Has a rope starter, and oil bath filter.

It's been out of the box no more than five times for inspection.

:WRS:

You need to find a nice Suburban 400 or 401 to put that K-91 in.