pfrederi

Issue changing Hydrogear to Piston

pfrederi

I was putting a Piston to Piston Sundstrand into a transaxle that had previously had a hydro gear.  Should have been straight forward..open the case swap out the #5964 33 tooth gear (#27 picture 1) for a # 101885 44 tooth gear (#4-31 picture 2). Close the case and slide in the piston unit.  Not so fast.  Couldn't get the case half's to close up.  After a lot of screwing around found that the bigger 44 tooth gear hit the Left Hand case side.  I am not sure where the transaxle came from but it had worked OK with the hydro gear.  After a lot more head scratching I noticed the casting number on the left side was I think 5967 (it was a bit worn down).  All the left sides I have or could look up are 8047.  The 5967 looks exactly like the 8047 and mates up perfectly with a 8046 RH IF you have the hydro gear input 33 tooth gear.  All I can figure is the casting is thicker in that area than the 8047.

Any one Know where the 5967 might have been on originally???

hydrogear.JPG

piston.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@Gerry w has a parts site...if you type in a part number, it shows where that part is found.  :occasion-xmas:

953 nut
30 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

@Gerry w has a parts site...if you type in a part number, it shows where that part is found.  :occasion-xmas:

Steve, did you mean @gwest_ca, the member you referred to is inactive.

Sarge

I believe the early '66 hydrogear transmission used that one case side that was different - I had tried to do the same swap using a piston to piston unit from a '74 C series into an 876 tractor I had - would not go together. Don't remember where the interference was, but I gave up and fixed the C series instead, which I still have here. I know there is one series of the piston type transmissions that will bolt up and can be made to work on those older hydrogear-equipped machines but forget now which one it was that would make the swap. I was pretty bummed it wouldn't work, having a really stout transmission in an 876 would be a big benefit due to its short wheelbase.

Sarge

pfrederi
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

I believe the early '66 hydrogear transmission used that one case side that was different - I had tried to do the same swap using a piston to piston unit from a '74 C series into an 876 tractor I had - would not go together. Don't remember where the interference was, but I gave up and fixed the C series instead, which I still have here. I know there is one series of the piston type transmissions that will bolt up and can be made to work on those older hydrogear-equipped machines but forget now which one it was that would make the swap. I was pretty bummed it wouldn't work, having a really stout transmission in an 876 would be a big benefit due to its short wheelbase.

Sarge

Externally this odd case is identical to the 8047 left hand.  if you could get a 8047 it should accent the piston to piston and bolt right up to the 876

gwest_ca

I can't find the 5967 application.

For the first couple of years Sundstrand repairs were done at the factory so complete unit was replaced at the dealer level. Since no-one needed parts there are no parts lists published I am aware off and that is likely when the 5967 was used.

Did find where the 6455 and 8047 left cases were replaced by 102617.

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi
20 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I can't find the 5967 application.

For the first couple of years Sundstrand repairs were done at the factory so complete unit was replaced at the dealer level. Since no-one needed parts there are no parts lists published I am aware off and that is likely when the 5967 was used.

Did find where the 6455 and 8047 left cases were replaced by 102617.

Garry

Gary The casting numbers are pretty worn.  Could be 5957 that at least shows up as a discontinued WH part.  Do you have a way of looking it up???

Sarge

Sadly, because of the issue and at the time could not find a good hydrogear for the 876, I gave up on it and later sold the thing. Bad move, as should have kept it and just swapped in a complete piston to piston unit sourced from a later C series - would have made a real beast of a tractor. I remember at one time I had 3 of those hydrogear units apart at the same time and found some differences in them - seems the '66 models did have a case difference not found in the '67 model. Too long ago to remember the specifics, but at the time I was fighting pump issues and repairing bad axle keyway slots.

Sarge

pfrederi

Interesting they used 5957 casting in 1966 and 1967.  In 1968-70 the Charger Electros used the 8047 then in 1972 they went back to the old casting...????  Did they find a store room of old ones??:unsure: