jebbear

Underside of mower deck?

jebbear

Read a couple of old threads on here concerning the best methods of painting / coating / preservation / treatment for the underside of mower decks. Since I just started restoring my deck, thought I would throw this out there again for some fresh ideas and see what you all have found to be the best solution to preserve the underside (I know, regular cleaning in the end is the best). I will be stripping it to totally clean metal, probably using a combination of electrolysis and sandblasting to get it back to near white condition before painting. Suggestions on paint, coatings, etc.?

jebbear

OOOPS!! :unsure:My bad. Probably should have put this under Implements and Attachments.

Lee1977

Most anything you paint it with will wear off, but it's worth doing anyway. I just wire brush it with a side grinder prime and paint with Rust-oleum what ever color I have. I keep quart cans and brush it on. Also clean and paint the aluminum spindle housing as the acid in grass eats them up.

ohiofarmer

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

This stuff is just awesome for under decks.  It dries very hard and shiny and is totally acid resistant.   Just get the rust down to tight rust and it will bond very tightly.   I used it on my farm house lot and septic field mower, mowing juicy weeds and all and it still looks great after two seasons.

The deck in question was neglected and covered with flaking rust and the steel was that cheap grade that MTD uses on its mowers. Wheel Horse decks are a better grade of cold rolled steel, so it should work even better. Make sure you read the application instructions. If you use 2 coats, the second coat needs to be applied about 4-8 hours after the first. If you wait too long, the first coat gets so hard that the second coat will not stick.. Other than that, it is easy to prepare and apply the product

• Thanks 1

Terry M
1 hour ago, jebbear said:

OOOPS!! :unsure:My bad. Probably should have put this under Implements and Attachments.

Not a problem..It's moved ...:)

jebbear

Thanks @ohiofarmer ! That looks like some good stuff. I'm always skeptical of a lot of claims that manufacturers make, but if you have personal experience, that's definitely a plus. Never heard of it before, where do you buy, Tractor Supply, Rural King?

jebbear
15 minutes ago, Terry M said:

Not a problem..It's moved

Thanks Terry! Must have been a senior moment! :eusa-doh:

Lee1977

Found it on Ebay $69.00 a gal. free shipping.

ohiofarmer

i got mine at Rural King for 30.00 a quart.  The black color works oK under decks, but the aluminum color costs more because it is U-V stabilized.

Thanks, Lee, I have several decks that need treatment.

https://www.lunnysauto.com/detail/Baril-AgriGuard-1-Gallon-Rust-Coater-Apply_303012252619.html

That price is even better because of the aluminum color...

Edited by ohiofarmer

The Tuul Crib
9 hours ago, jebbear said:

:angry-nono:

• Haha 1

JoeM

I have used just about everything but agriguard.

No magic pills in the box.

I am back to cleaning and using a coat of oil. I use old 90w.

Might have to dip into an old mason jar and try that agriguard paint.

• Haha 1

Racinbob

That Agriguard does look good but I haven't used it. I used POR-15 under my deck and after three mowing seasons it's still in great shape. Although many products say you can just get the loose stuff off before applying it's just in me to get the surface as clean as possible. :)

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

hello jebbear reading your question , I just thought I would add my posting to that, my own opinion is to , NOT SEAL off the underside and paint it with sealant, but let it breath and dry out , then LUBRICATE  it to feed the metal and kill of the grunge . you can obviously do what ever you want , the insert covers what I regularly do. my decks are soaking in oil now over the winter, pete 

• Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

I used POR-15 years ago on one of my 36 inch three blade, rear discharge mower decks..   it is cleaned off once in a while but not every year ( but I never mow in wet grass).  It is still propelling water and rust.   The deck must be cleaned well before applying POR-15.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jebbear

Thank-you everyone for some great ideas. The Agriguard is totally new to me, so I'll look into this a little deeper. I have heard of the POR-15 product but have never used it, but also seems to get some pretty good reviews in different applications. I knew you guys would come up with some great suggestions!

ohiofarmer
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

That Agriguard does look good but I haven't used it. I used POR-15 under my deck and after three mowing seasons it's still in great shape. Although many products say you can just get the loose stuff off before applying it's just in me to get the surface as clean as possible. :)

I agree with cleaning it well. I chiseled off all the flakes and washed with detergent and degreaser. Folowed up with a poly abrasive brush and washed it again,-- but did leave some "smooth" rust on [i think it actually bonds better to tight rust than bare metal if I remember the application directions] Just for fun i did the pathetic little MTD motorcycle battery holder and it came back nicely. Even some spilled battery acid just beaded up and did not affect things.  Not gonna say whether or not POR is better or not, but I am guessing the 2 products are in the same ballpark .  But a mower deck is not the space shuttle, and I have a few extras.

Not knocking POR at all as I am certain that it is a great product.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

Racinbob

I agree. I think there's several products that will give good results. I don't really 'clean' the underside after each mowing but I do lift the tractor and knock off the clumps of grass so they don't hold the moisture. Even with the coating I just don't like to leave it there. Unfortunately I do have to mow wet grass at times and that really clumps up worse. It only takes a couple minutes and my main mowing deck is a 48" that I bought new in the 70's. It is still in pristine condition. :)

• Like 1

Lee1977

I don't think anything is going to hold up when you sand blast. That is what you are doing when you mow a sand, gravel, or stone drive way. Por or Agriguard  may last longer I have not tried it.  Not all the primer and paint I have used will be gone., but some areas there won't be any left. I think the most important thing is to clean it regular no matter what you use on it. If you can keep it inside will also help keep it from rusting away.

• Like 1