moe1965

854 fuel tank gasket

moe1965

I have been working on a restoration of a 1964 854. The other day my fuel tank decided it wanted to leak.  Anyone know where I can find a replacement gasket.  

20190108_185859.jpg

gwest_ca

The 4452 gasket is no longer available from Toro. Click on the fuzzy picture for a 2-page service bulletin. I am sure in this day and age there is a sealer/caulking type of material that will work.

Garry

• Like 1

dells68

Check with @wheelhorseman.  He sells nice new gaskets. Only drawback to replacement of the gasket is that you are almost certain to break off a bolt.  Another option would be to seal the inside of the tank with a product like POR15’s fuel tank sealant.  I’ve used it in old VW’s and it worked great.

• Like 1

rjg854

FWIW ,  the PO of my 854 had the gas tank welded together.  Whoever did it, did a decent job, it doesn't leak.  And it looks good.  Just my :twocents-twocents:

moe1965

I started making a gasket out of some Fel-Pro gasket material that I had I'm going to put a product called high-tech on both sides of the gasket that is saposed to be gas resistant and I think just because I've gone this far I have some extra red kote product that I used on a tank repair sometime ago and I think I'll put that in the tank as well just for added insurance

20190109_062656.jpg

• Like 3

Racinbob

I've done several tanks with this:

427926058_Fueltanksealant.JPG.aab79c959a1351dba570779437d3d279.JPG

Two of the tanks were 854's including the one I picked up at last years big show. The stuff works great and is a permanent fix. :)

• Like 1