ebinmaine

Patterns or methods to move the snow bank at the end of the driveway from the street plow?

Sarge

I use a pattern of taking bites out of frozen banks in both directions, a few passes each direction then turning around and work the other way - same as others. Blowers are nice, but finding good ones is tough and most are pretty worn out. Brute weight and strength have no substitute, the big D can move 3 times the snow of my other long frame units with it's larger blade and sheer weight. Once I get the pile down to around 4' left between the drive and the street - that animal will just blow a hole through the pile, then move it off to the sides easily. To prevent damaging your toy - it is best to take smaller bites and just take your time versus ramming or trying to force the machine to work above its weight class. That's how I broke the frame on the 1277 the first time, so there is a price to be paid for running heavy wheels and weight for added traction - something will eventually give and unfortunately it was the frame.

What is the welder? AC only or AC/DC?

The best, modern inverter type welder in the best bang-for-the-buck category is the AHP 160ST stick/tig machine. Size of a lunch box, has enough raw power to easily run 1/8" 7018 rods and can withstand running hard all day long. Catch them on sale at under $200 at times - can't beat it.

Sarge

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I know next to nothing about this welder or in fact welders in general.

I'd be happy to take some photos of it sometime so you folks could tell me whatever it is you know about it.

My father has always had a welder laying around in case he needed one really badly and I don't know how long he has had this particular one. I feel like it is at least 15 years, maybe 20. Nearly zero usage on it.

cleat
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well Joe. Let me answer that in a few different ways.

First. It's a good idea and I appreciate it so thank you.

Second. I definitely agree that it would look pretty cool.

However!

There are two issues with this suggestion.

1. I really just don't feel like turning all the way around in my seat to look what's behind me.

2. This is the important one..... I can't possibly have one tractor with two implements on it. That would prevent me from getting one of the two tractors I could possibly have.

1 Implement for every tractor equals more tractors.

:greetings-clappingyellow:

My big tractor has the loader on the front and a blower on the back.

Backing up is a pain in the neck (literally), and is a little harder to control.

I only use this tractor for really bad snow cleanup.

Have not used it yet this season but winter is not over yet.

Cleat

pfrederi

I have a 6' back blade for my Case DC3.  stopped using it 3 or 4 years ago .  As Cleat indicates it is a Pain In The Neck!!!!! (and you have to climb on and off to re-angle the blade.

WVHillbilly520H
24 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have a 6' back blade for my Case DC3.  stopped using it 3 or 4 years ago .  As Cleat indicates it is a Pain In The Neck!!!!! (and you have to climb on and off to re-angle the blade.

That's why I did the JD conversion for my Kioti so dad (now 81) would not be getting a pain in the neck...

IMAG4049.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

• Excellent 1

shallowwatersailor

The method I use requires beating the county plow going past the house. I get out in the street and make a couple of passes in the direction the county plow comes from past the driveway. I go about 20-30 feet and that actually unloads the county plow by the time they get to my driveway opening. Of course if you are on a busy road it would be difficult.

• Haha 1

pfrederi
15 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The method I use requires beating the county plow going past the house. I get out in the street and make a couple of passes in the direction the county plow comes from past the driveway. I go about 20-30 feet and that actually unloads the county plow by the time they get to my driveway opening. Of course if you are on a busy road it would be difficult.

Great idea but....

I do not get up that early !!!!:P

cleat
21 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

I did forget to mention that I do that as well.

I don't actually have to beat the initial plowing, just the part where they wing back the shoulders.

I also plow out the mailbox at the same time (other side of the road but the same idea).

Cleat

JoeM

I know that looking back thing, I have box blade and just never like using it for that reason.

But....not have thought that duel purpose idea through, an extra machine for other attachment, I like the way your thinking!

Must have bumped my head or something!

WVHillbilly520H
56 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

I know that looking back thing, I have box blade and just never like using it for that reason.

But....not have thought that duel purpose idea through, an extra machine for other attachment, I like the way your thinking!

Must have bumped my head or something!

Multiple choice...

IMAG3789.jpg

JoeM

Another interesting concept. Seen this one on CL near DC.

165761627_WHRotoPlow1.jpg.5c5b0a91ccecec66838f98fad3c57a9f.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

that would probably work okay for an inch or two of Southern snow but I don't think it would do well up here

:occasion-snowman:

1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Multiple choice...

IMAG3789.jpg

Now you see Jeff. That right there is what I'm talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mows4three

Ed, Cleat, Sarge, Jeff, Pfrederi, John and Oiluj52:

I just want to go on record to say that should anything come of this thread and Eric starts another "Terminator meets Transformers" project you guys will be held personally responsible for his mental stability and financial well-being!  He's already half cracked and has an extremely well honed sense of frugality.  Suggesting he build a modified front end loader/snowblower is like giving a kid a BB gun and sending him to the chickenhouse.  You just know there's going to be blood!

Trina:

Let it be known that I did NOT encourage Eric, this time.  I will, however, stand back and actively poke him with a stick while he noodles on how to build this self-propelled snow howitzer.  

Cheers to all...!

Dave

IMG_4713.JPG

Edited by Mows4three
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine

You're awesome Dave!

Hahahahahahahaha

• Thanks 1

Lee1977

Yea, Eric need to be prodded along. He also needs to take a course in welding or Honey maybe both. I don't know how well he has been schooled on Redneck Thinking, and Getting The Job Done With What You Have On Hand. I'm sure a lot of us can help him along on those department. I can see it all now a "D Series with a Ford 300 cubic inch six cylinder with a Predicator carburetor " 10 speed truck transmission, with duel 20" tires in the rear with a 2 speed rear differential. Help me out here with more ideas!  :auto-layrubber:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Lee1977 said:

Yea, Eric need to be prodded along. He also needs to take a course in welding or Honey maybe both. I don't know how well he has been schooled on Redneck Thinking, and Getting The Job Done With What You Have On Hand. I'm sure a lot of us can help him along on those department. I can see it all now a "D Series with a Ford 300 cubic inch six cylinder with a Predicator carburetor " 10 speed truck transmission, with duel 20" tires in the rear with a 2 speed rear differential. Help me out here with more ideas!  :auto-layrubber:

well. I don't even know if I should tell you folks this here but I don't see any problem with the above vehicle.

Hahahahahahha

not only do you bunch of five-year-olds not help me with my supposed addiction to Wheelhorse that I'm still trying to deny but now you have me thinking about building crazy vehicles like that.

seriously though. I think the chances are nearly 100% that both of us will be taught to weld by our mutual best friend. One of our fellow hikers. She is actually a professional fabricator.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
21 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

I had one like that I got from my boss. That is an older model that doesn't have a way to put the tines out of gear. I tried using it once and didn't like how close the tine were to my feet and legs. Sold both tiller and blade and advised new owner not to use blade. I have one now that the tines can be put out of gear, but don't have the blade. Here is a picture of the later model with PTO engagement.

SAM-0893.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, OILUJ52 said:

Hey Ed what's the plow angle rod/handle do on the MAD MAX? 

Nothing when the tiller is on.  The snow blade goes on in the fall.

• Like 1

Sarge

Hey, not the first time I've been called an instigator - but then again, I get a lot of that sort of thing from forums like this one - so, there it is.

The tractor? D200 with the heavier old style Kubota rear axle, pump system and the screaming VR4 Detroit. Eric will be deaf, as well as anyone else on the Eastern Half of the country - but I bet the good blokes in England will get a kick out of the chunks of snow being thrown at their country from afar...

Honestly, if you have a fabricator friend that is willing to teach - you cannot ask for a better teacher. That is how I mostly learned to weld - old Pipeliners, Fitters and Fabricators from the years of working construction and hanging around shops doing a lot of slave labor cleanup of parts to get some learning time/experience. Same with engines - spent a lot of days after work cleaning blocks and other parts coming out of the caustic hot tank washing system and racing to dry them down and wipe those freshly bored block cylinders with a layer of clean oil. 

I've gotten now to where I'm teaching the younger folks around here to learn these skills - and they learn in the same manner as I did. They have to do the dirty jobs to save me the time, then I'll spend some time teaching them how to weld, ect.

Sarge

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

I've gotten now to where I'm teaching the younger folks around here to learn these skills - and they learn in the same manner as I did. They have to do the dirty jobs to save me the time, then I'll spend some time teaching them how to weld, ect.

Sarge

Just wish I could get that through to my (almost 16yo) step son,  he thinks just because he took a VoAg class and watching YouTube videos all day he's now a performance mechanic and fabricator.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

peter lena

I call retirement plowing, initially getting after it while coming down or shortly after , usually thinking about  the most gain as to where I put it. if its very cold  you might only get one shot at it, then its cement, road edging is steadily  taking small shots at it . my best gains are mid day ,with sun , the slight warming allows me to really push it so its no further problem. just regularly  pushing it back works for me , mid day sun makes it  easier ,even thou now its much heavier, only to refreeze at night. once I get to driveway topping , the sun lets me slush scrape it down. we all deal with it  as time / issues and weather allows .  the most constant thing is that I love plowing , might even go up the road to help a neighbor , just so I can , play in the snow. pete

• Like 1

Rob R

The obvious answer to have someone else drive the tractor.... but seriously what I do is Snow Blow the driveway but leave 3-4  feet at the end (including the frozen street plow hump) which I simply ram to the other side of the street with my C81 with plow.... this has never failed me and I have not burned out or needed to adjust  my Snow Blower belt nor have I clogged the Blower chute  in the past 3 yrs. 

• Like 1

JoeM

I seen this baby on CL, 7 footer!

Twin Screw! could you imagine seeing this coming at you!

TwinScrewSnowBlower1CL122018.jpg.3624e5557e7e717bd591d36fb826a9da.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Just yesterday I saw something that I did not know existed.

It was a rear mounted snowblower on the back of a green farm tractor that was probably eight feet wide?

Rear mounted, 3-point PTO connected, but facing FORWARD. You literally had to drive right over all the snow and then scrape it back up with a snowblower and get it out of the way.

11 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

I seen this baby on CL, 7 footer!

Twin Screw! could you imagine seeing this coming at you!

TwinScrewSnowBlower1CL122018.jpg.3624e5557e7e717bd591d36fb826a9da.jpg

A few years ago there was a fella up around here in Maine that used to have an 8 ft wide snowblower similar to that one mounted to the front of a 90s vintage 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive Chevy. I never stopped to see what the motor was on the snowblower but it was powered on its own. He did a lot of work on Camp roads that were only one lane wide and had no place to put the snow with a plow.

• Like 1

82Caddy

Here's another option for you..

Edited by 82Caddy
Link fixed
  • Like 2