ebinmaine

Patterns or methods to move the snow bank at the end of the driveway from the street plow?

ebinmaine

as some of you are undoubtedly aware we are experimenting with a wheel horse garden tractor and a snow plow for the first time this year.

it has been a huge learning curve with a lot of experimentation and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

One of my most serious issues is

after a few inches of snow and the street plow goes by there's a 2-foot snowbank at the end of the driveway. What's the best way to break through that without spending a bunch of time in the road?

pfrederi

Road time isn't big concern on my dirt road.  However I plow down the center of the drive to the road but turn off to one side just before i get to the plow pile.  Back up and turn off to the other side. work the back of the pile.  then a few pushes from the road side.  I plow a wide entrance probably 50 feet or so. Garbage pick up the next township and paper guy all use my driveway to turn around... 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Road time isn't big concern on my dirt road.  However I plow down the center of the drive to the road but turn off to one side just before i get to the plow pile.  Back up and turn off to the other side. work the back of the pile.  then a few pushes from the road side.  I plow a wide entrance probably 50 feet or so. Garbage pick up the next township and paper guy all use my driveway to turn around... 

Thank you Paul.

I have a couple inches of snow to move out of the way today so I'll try that

Your method may very well work for me.

The main part of my driveway is over 20 ft wide and the part that I plow at the road between the two snowbanks is probably 24 to 28 ft wide

If we get a lot of snow I do have some concern about running out of area to put it but I have two different neighbors across the street that each have larger tractors that would be happy to push the snowbanks back for me.

953 nut
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

2-foot snowbank at the end of the driveway.

That is what the Front End Loader is for!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

I'm not trying to be contrary to that piece of information but the fact of the matter is I run short on front end loaders right now

Soon, I hope.

as a matter of fact, Trina and I have been talking about making that one of our projects in the coming year.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

I used to use the 520H w/tall chute blower to eat thru the road side snow piles.    But, my neighbor that shares my stone road, bought a Kubota $WD w/ FEL, so I save the big piles for him.

• Like 5

wallfish

A big 2 stage blower. No worries about the DOT piles or snow piles from plowing.

I did the same method as Paul does. You'll figure it all out quickly enough. Pushing with the blade raised sometimes also helps. That's how I used to push back the big piles. Then drop it to clean up and start a new section.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JCM

Eric, I have a real nice Kwik-way subframe complete with axle brackets that would fit right on your C-160 if you need one someday to build your  loader,give you a great deal on it and may even deliver it to Hiram.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

wallfish
5 minutes ago, JCM said:

Eric, I have a real nice Kwik-way subframe complete with axle brackets that would fit right on your C-160 if you need one someday to build your  loader,give you a great deal on it and may even deliver it to Hiram.

Loader plans here

http://www.pf-engineering.com/

Stick welder here

https://www.eastwood.com/ac-stick-welder-lew-k1170.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&msclkid=3395e1c703ba10478f0abdf22a7a2bd3

Hydraulic parts here

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/

And score some steel at the local scrap yard.

You're halfway there already so get started! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

@JCM

Jim that's much appreciated and we're going to have to talk about that some more. I really won't be able to buy it until sometime in the spring or summer but I believe I could put that to good use here on the property.

@wallfish

John you're awesome. No way around it.

My father actually did bring me up an old stick welder a few weeks ago and I have some 60 11 rod and I just need to get the old antique generator up and running and start experimenting with it.

• Like 3

pfrederi

I have an FEL on the D200...Never used it for snow removal. We had 28"  awhile back and the town used a road grader, created a big pile.  Used the snowblower. Pile was so high as i undercut it it was falling on the hood of the Electro, but she cleared it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JCM

I bought that subframe with an original cab and weight box in july of 2000 so its not going anywhere,it has your name on it,and if does not happen do not worry about it .Also it has been stored inside all this time.     Take care.

Edited by JCM
misspelled word about
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

@ebinmaine, Eric not trying to get your butt off the :wh:, but do you still have the 2stage walk behind? If so there's your DOT plow bank cutter...BTW I'm sure it could be retrofitted to work on the front of a :wh: JMHO, Jeff.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@ebinmaine, Eric not trying to get your butt off the :wh:, but do you still have the 2stage walk behind? If so there's your DOT plow bank cutter...BTW I'm sure it could be retrofitted to work on the front of a :wh: JMHO, Jeff.

That's exactly what we've been doing.

I take a cut out the center of the driveway with a snow blower and then push the windrow back from the street plow using the snow blower.

Trina actually had the same idea as you with trying to attach that to the front of a tractor so that it would be easier to move around.

It would be quite a snow moving Beast if the logistics of that could be worked out.

13 horsepower on its own with a 38 inch cut on a two-stage. It is extremely powerful so it would be no problem to add some wings to the side to scoop more width of snow.

Some online Source or another puts the weight of that thing at about 300 lb or a little more. I've wondered if I was to remove the handles and drive system if I'd be able to hang it off the front of a tractor somehow.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's exactly what we've been doing.

I take a cut out the center of the driveway with a snow blower and then push the windrow back from the street plow using the snow blower.

Trina actually had the same idea as you with trying to attach that to the front of a tractor so that it would be easier to move around.

It would be quite a snow moving Beast if the logistics of that could be worked out.

13 horsepower on its own with a 38 inch cut on a two-stage. It is extremely powerful so it would be no problem to add some wings to the side to scoop more width of snow.

Some online Source or another puts the weight of that thing at about 300 lb or a little more. I've wondered if I was to remove the handles and drive system if I'd be able to hang it off the front of a tractor somehow.

If there's a will there's a way...they make self powered units for ATVs

Screenshot_20190108-200646.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
50 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've wondered if I was to remove the handles and drive system if I'd be able to hang it off the front of a tractor somehow.

Get that magic wand (welder) going and just about anything is possible! You can run it off the tractor PTO by using a 90 degree gear box just like the Toro 2 stage does

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Get that magic wand (welder) going and just about anything is possible! You can run it off the tractor PTO by using a 90 degree gear box just like the Toro 2 stage does

I like the self powered version idea that way the Kohler can run lower RPMs and won't have to worry about that extra gearbox and PTO belt but then there's an extra engine to keep up...rock and hard place but still a viable option.

ebinmaine

I'd almost definitely keep the engine on the snowblower itself.

It's a great snow mover but really was meant for asphalt or concrete and is a Genuine  :bitch::bitch: to hold onto with all the tiny ruts and stones to catch on.

Upkeep on a second engine isn't really a huge concern for us.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd almost definitely keep the engine on the snowblower itself.

It's a great snow mover but really was meant for asphalt or concrete and is a Genuine  :bitch::bitch: to hold onto with all the tiny ruts and stones to catch on.

Upkeep on a second engine isn't really a huge concern for us.

I like your/my thinking, if you check out those ATV blowers you'll notice they attach like their snow plows so in loose terms like a :wh: snow thrower, then have those rear Caster wheels so it makes turning around so much easier as they don't lift much off the ground, Eric the single stage thrower mount is the easiest to fabricate even the lift rod, a sawsall a drill and "stick" welder is about all you need for tools then most of the steel can be had from Lowe's TSC or ACE hardware.

IMAG2582_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Remember Mad Max.   He started as a walk be hind tiller and ended up mounted on a  plow frame

IMG_7281.JPG.8ac1b991b14c0f6f6b6b6a185cb54d62.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine

I'm liking these ideas....

• Excellent 1

Lee1977

You should build your caster wheels with a long stem so you can adjust the height with spacers. That snow blower with an engine is going to be a bear to try to pickup out front.

JoeM

EB maybe you need a combo tractor; blower in the front.... blade in the back! That actually sounds pretty cool. B)

Hey Ed what's the plow angle rod/handle do on the MAD MAX? 

cleat

I have learned to do the end of the driveway sideways so I don't go on the road at all (actually just in from doing just that).

Start with going out the driveway then turning as Ebinmaine said using either a blower or plow.

I clear just the same basically whether blowing or plowing.

I plowed today as it is not too deep at only 3 or 4 inches and wet and packy.

I live on a county road that leads directly into the city so it is always busy.

That is even more important for my larger diesel tractor with loader as it is so long.

Cleat

• Like 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

EB maybe you need a combo tractor; blower in the front.... blade in the back! That actually sounds pretty cool. B)

Well Joe. Let me answer that in a few different ways.

First. It's a good idea and I appreciate it so thank you.

Second. I definitely agree that it would look pretty cool.

However!

There are two issues with this suggestion.

1. I really just don't feel like turning all the way around in my seat to look what's behind me.

2. This is the important one..... I can't possibly have one tractor with two implements on it. That would prevent me from getting one of the two tractors I could possibly have.

1 Implement for every tractor equals more tractors.

:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Haha 3