Jason B

Can you help ID this wheel horse?

Jason B

My father and I picked this up over the weekend for $100. It has no spark and I let the magic smoke out of something under the flywheel, so parts will have to be ordered. I need to know some info about the tractor/engine before ordering ignition parts. It appears to have a Tecumseh HT55c-3089, but I am unsure as there are no numbers on the engine either. Serial number 62-6802 on the shift pattern sticker. Dad thinks it’s a 702, I think it’s a 552. Who is right? 

A17AEBFE-0B2F-4E13-B677-43FBCCF0F56F.jpeg

D0ABC3C1-533D-4949-B579-E6F5694EF9B4.jpeg

84A14937-A25D-4607-BF57-FAD8EE8256BA.jpeg

6FBC14ED-CF37-4D54-9698-F3914CB5FAD6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Jason B

B284870F-098D-496C-B858-A10B4F4D5FFE.jpeg

7F6B122B-3BDB-41C3-A00D-30E218CAC6F8.jpeg

496881A3-9659-4803-9850-5C7D78C64ECB.jpeg

061588D4-7EF6-420A-834D-63784BC79814.jpeg

• Like 4

Jason B

Also, are we missing anything to mount the mower deck? I pulled two components that look like ceramic fuses from the fuse panel on the motor. Not sure what they are, but when I checked them for continuity and put them back in is when I smoked something under the flywheel. Would love to get this running. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Jason B
  • Sad 1

oliver2-44

The square seat and Hy2 hydraulics make me lean towards it being a 702.  But a 702 would have a Kohler K161 motor. But those could have been changed/added. If it is the H55 Tecumseh engine that would lean it towards a 552, but then it should have a round seat. Once you get it running you will want to find a belt guard, for your safety  and also I believe the guard has some belt tabs that help slack the belt in neutral or when the clutch is in.    Others will be along with more experience.  The horizontal slotted front grill definitely makes it an "02" something

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

Jason B

Garry, I looked all through those last night and could not find our serial number listed anywhere in the docs. do you know of a specific place I might have missed that would have a range including that serial number? Thanks for putting all that together, by the way. 

Racinbob

I definitely think a 552. @oliver2-44 I believe that was the year they went with square seats across the board but I could easily be wrong. It's quite possible that they used up the last of the round seats on early 62's. :)

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

I’ll tell ya what it is: a steal at 100 bucks! 

• Like 2

buckrancher

• Like 1

Shynon
4 minutes ago, buckrancher said:

:text-yeahthat:  Wow you scored 

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Jason B said:

I pulled two components that look like ceramic fuses from the fuse panel on the motor. Not sure what they are, but when I checked them for continuity and put them back in is when I smoked something under the flywheel.

:WRS:

Unfortunately you removed the diodes that convert the AC from the engine to DC for battery charging and apparently didn't get them back in the proper direction.             :sad:              Parts are out there to fix the charging system, Place a wanted ad here when you know what is toast.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/?do=form&d=2

• Excellent 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, Jason B said:

Also, are we missing anything to mount the mower deck?

:WRS:

Looks like you have everything to mount the deck, BUT for lifting it you're missing the hydraulic cylinder.

Manuals for the decks are separate than the tractor.

Don't be fooled by all that rust powder on there. You'd be surprised how much paint can be left on there. Some 000 steel wool and some WD-40 will clean it up to give you an idea but there are many previous threads on here about saving the patina. I like them original but that doesn't mean a beautiful trailer queen doesn't attract everyone's attention.

Nice Score! Especially way down there in Texas

• Like 5

clueless

In life. they say there are only two thing for sure, death and taxes. Over the years I've come to believe taxes may not be for sure. But there are a couple of thing that are for sure, whoever comes to you with this Barzini meeting, he's the traitor, and if Buckrancher, and Shynon, say it's a 552, it's a 552 :thumbs:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Chris G

Looks like a 552 to me. Very nice score for 100 bucks.

dells68

Awesome score for $100.  I’d love to have that pump and mounting bracket for one of our tractors.  Say, wouldn’t want to make an easy $25 would ya?  I’ve got $125 just itching to jump into your pocket!😂. If it wasn’t such a drive out your way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

oliver2-44

i plead innocent @Racinbob i looked at another member horse that had a round seat.  The IPL parts list does only show the square seat for all three 502, 552, 702 models, so I agree 552.

Jason B. don't let these guys :wh:horse wrangle that little filly out of Texas!  There some sketchy villains :ph34r: out there. 

But honestly  @dells68 :ychain:is a really great guy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

WHGuy413

Great score for 100 bucks. I agree with it being a 552.

Jason B

Thanks for all the help, guys! Oliver, no worries there. I have always loved the look of the 60's wheel horse tractors. This one is not going anywhere. Dells, Sorry brother. The hydraulics are one of the main reasons we went with this particular one. We do have the hydraulic cylinder - I just failed to take a pic of it. It is not mounted on the tractor. We do not have the U-bolt to go around the axle for the ram mount. Does anyone have one, or a suggestion on what would fit to replace the OEM part? The pump appears to be in serviceable shape. The lever seemed to be locked in place, but after a squirt of PB Blaster and a small amount of persuasion the lever is moving easily and returning to center. Spinning the pulley by hand with a little oil in the intake port produces a happy little "pop-pop-pop". Excited to get this little tractor running, but apparently I removed and replaced the diodes in the external regulator/rectifier and put them back in incorrectly. I am unfamiliar with this style of R/R with removable diodes. Does anyone have any information on how these are to be replaced into the clips? I cannot find any information online. 

20190109_084901.jpg

20190109_085846.jpg

Edited by Jason B

formariz

The diodes are directional as you found out when you tested them for continuity. The solid end goes towards the side where wires from magneto come into board. The notched end goes towards where fuse is. Current flows through them in that direction only.Refer to the link Garry provided on the other post you have. All information regarding those is on there.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jason B

Thanks! I thought Garry was posting with respect to identifying via serial number. Completely missed that he was providing information on diode placement. I just attempted to place them in this orientation, and there was an arc and they got hot very quickly. I assume that is because I fried something under the flywheel?

Edited by Jason B

formariz
7 minutes ago, Jason B said:

Thanks! I thought Garry was posting with respect to identifying via serial number. Completely missed that he was providing information on diode placement. 

That's ok. You still learning how site works. Always notice what Garry posts. Always to the point and immediate. Look at the wiring diagram for your tractor. The 552 has no solenoid, only a heavy duty start switch and an off/on switch that grounds the magneto.Looks like your has been modified. Make sure there is no voltage that goes to magneto. Until you get it going you do not need to have diodes in place, they only have to do with charging battery. Also make sure that if they are installed, there is always a battery in the system.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

For that cylinder mount, you could use a flat plate on one side of the axle housing and a set of 3/8 bolts to attach, effectively making a U-bolt :handgestures-thumbupright:  

By the way that’s a crazy deal, you stole the pump and got the rest for free!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Here is a thread that has everything you want to know about a HY-2 and lots of pictures.  You have to read the whole thread...The pictures start on page 2.  :occasion-xmas:  Lowell may have the re-build kits now...or @Lane Ranger 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

2009 , your memory is still working good Steve!

77E7677A-4836-4C27-A46A-A6C9243A7692.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
On 1/8/2019 at 5:25 PM, wallfish said:

You'd be surprised how much paint can be left on there. Some 000 steel wool and some WD-40 will clean it up

:text-yeahthat:

101_2541.JPG.6111a8e9e538881b714d6559abdc4664.JPG