r1jakecfd

5xi snowplow on 520H?

r1jakecfd

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if the Toro 79355 48” snowplow will fit on my ‘91 520H without modification. I just bought the plow at a great price, in great condition and grabbed it assuming it would fit.

Thanks for any input,

John

Essex, MA

ebinmaine

John I don't have any of the newer style tractors but I'm thinking that the difference in your situation would be if one of those tractors has swept forward front axle.

@WVHillbilly520H could explain this better.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Can be done but not worth the expense unless you can make/modify the parts in your spare time and have the material. This retrofit kit put the 520-H doxer on the 520xi so you need to reverse engineer it.

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

John I don't have any of the newer style tractors but I'm thinking that the difference in your situation would be if one of those tractors has swept forward front axle.

@WVHillbilly520H could explain this better.

@ebinmaine thanks for the shout out, It will work,  not expensive really not much to change except for the lift point/bar, then the angle from seat lever will now be out board of your foot rest vs the classic style, you won't be able to use the xi series front anti sway bar unit though, and quite possibly you still may end up needing the "extenion" kit for the A-frame to clear the swept forward front axle while full angle left or right...the blade in the pic with the Dxi was for it the other 2 are of a long frame of the 70s I put on my 520H with a hillbilly engineering extenion for 18 years till I actually found the correct kit, last 2 pics BTW I have also modified one of the later 26X series vertical shaft tractor frames to work on the classic series without swept forward front axle good luck, Jeff.

IMAG1880.jpg

IMAG3672.jpg

IMAG3673.jpg

IMAG2412.jpg

IMAG2554.jpg

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

The wheelbase on the 5xi is longer so an extension kit probably won't be necessary. But the frame is a bit wider so may not clear the frame on the 520-H. Interesting how the 95-4090 retrofit kit is the basically the new 5xi frame that reuses the blade portion of the old dozer blade.

5xi attachments are not often found. You mighty be better flipping it.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
18 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The wheelbase on the 5xi is longer so an extension kit probably won't be necessary. But the frame is a bit wider so may not clear the frame on the 520-H. Interesting how the 95-4090 retrofit kit is the basically the new 5xi frame that reuses the blade portion of the old dozer blade.

5xi attachments are not often found. You mighty be better flipping it.

John, when I had all 3 versions here together , if memory serves me right (can't guarantee that since the tree incident) I measured them all and from fulcrum (axle hitch rod) to lift point to blade angle bolt were all very close if not the same as well as width, as far as the xi longer wheelbase it was made up with that fancy double rear axle bracket/hitch, and the width was taken in to account with the different angle lever mount more like the older D series, but hey I could be wrong here as now I don't have either the xi or 26X series blades anymore to confirm or deny.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

r1jakecfd

I think I’ve figured out that the main difference is the blade angling control handle geometry is different. I was just laughing because the only way I’ll ever know if it truly fits is to just pull the tractor over it and try.😂 Worst case scenario is that I have to fabricate something with my welder.👍 

I will definitely be sure to let you guys know the outcome and create a post to show any modifications I needed to make. 

Thanks to all of you for chiming in to help a fellow Red Fan!

Cheers,

John 

Essex, MA

• Like 1

r1jakecfd

So the plow fits on fine and has plenty of clearance for the 520 forward-swept axle. The only issue is the where the angling handle attaches to the frame is too high to allow the plow to raise. I’m planning on cutting it off with an angle grinder and redesigning/rewelding it in a position tha works. I also need to weld a simple lift bracket with a hole to lift the plow.

I’m concerned about the stress on the rear hitch and lateral play in the plow. I found @WVHillbilly520H‘s post below to make a simple lateral plow stabilizer that mounts on the front mule drive.

I’ll be sure to post pics of my progress.

Thanks as always for all your valuable input!

Cheers,

John 

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/78733-model-year-on-c-125/?do=findComment&comment=768880

378E7607-E536-4BCC-8DC1-3CA716E79CF7.jpeg

409EEADA-5B89-4959-BA6B-EDEB9589319D.jpeg

WVHillbilly520H

If you cut the mount off the frame and move it forward to the bend in the frame I believe you could still use what you have and clear the foot rest,  also you'll have to shorten the rod and cable but all seems easy doable if you have the tools.

DennisThornton

Wish the heck it was here in Plattsburgh!  I'd sure trade you!

• Like 1

r1jakecfd
On 1/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, DennisThornton said:

Wish the heck it was here in Plattsburgh!  I'd sure trade you!

It’s all fit. Now just need to get the tractor started!😂

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, r1jakecfd said:

It’s all fit. Now just need to get the tractor started!😂

A picture or 2-3-4...??? Thanks.

r1jakecfd

EE71DE74-7967-4B5F-B3A3-3624F5B05EFF.jpeg

• Excellent 1

r1jakecfd

Just a bad starting relay. All done plowing. Thanks everyone for your help!

5A7EF861-FB02-4B67-8FC7-3C3588DA0B8E.jpeg

WVHillbilly520H
33 minutes ago, r1jakecfd said:

Just a bad starting relay. All done plowing. Thanks everyone for your help!

5A7EF861-FB02-4B67-8FC7-3C3588DA0B8E.jpeg

Got 1 from the other side, the rear hitch, and lift point when you get a chance ? Just like to see what I helped you get going there thanks.

• Thanks 1

r1jakecfd
On 1/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

A picture or 2-3-4...??? Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been working and I’m on a 24 hr. Shift today. I’ll hopefully get some pics up by tomorrow. 

Plow works great! 

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, r1jakecfd said:

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been working and I’m on a 24 hr. Shift today. I’ll hopefully get some pics up by tomorrow. 

Plow works great! 

No rush, we are just "visual" junkies... Glad that it worked out for you. You may have to become a "supporter" so you can post unlimited pics...and help keep this forum going as well.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

r1jakecfd

Hi Guys,

Thought I’d share a YouTube link of the new plow working. Thanks for all of your helpful input!

John

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, r1jakecfd said:

Hi Guys,

Thought I’d share a YouTube link of the new plow working. Thanks for all of your helpful input!

John

A couple close up stills of the lift point, angle lever and rear attachment would be great, I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to see these, thanks for the video.