bottjernat1

What is the biggest single cylinder put in a horse?

bottjernat1

So i helped out a young guy on market place facebook last night he had no idea what horse he had. i told this kid some stuff about his horse he had for sale the history of the company and where it was built he had no clue. I was puzzled tho by the hp kohler he said he had and i saw in the photos in his horse. it was a hydrostat and had a single cylinder and he said it was 18 hp. I didn't know they put a 18 hp single cylinder in a horse did they? My late dad had one with a 16hp i remember. He also had no idea about the model i told and showed him where to look. and gave him some advise if he decided to keep it. He was very grateful for the help. 

Rob R
31 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

So i helped out a young guy on market place facebook last night he had no idea what horse he had. i told this kid some stuff about his horse he had for sale the history of the company and where it was built he had no clue. I was puzzled tho by the hp kohler he said he had and i saw in the photos in his horse. it was a hydrostat and had a single cylinder and he said it was 18 hp. I didn't know they put a 18 hp single cylinder in a horse did they? My late dad had one with a 16hp i remember. He also had no idea about the model i told and showed him where to look. and gave him some advise if he decided to keep it. He was very grateful for the help. 

I'm guessing the "8" should be a "6" as in 16 HP. 

• Like 1

buckrancher

16hp is the largest single wheelhorse used

that doesn't mean someone could have put a kohler K361 in place of the original motor

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 5

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, buckrancher said:

16hp is the largest single wheelhorse used

that doesn't mean someone could have put a kohler K361 in place of the original motor

:text-yeahthat:

I'm not even close to being a long shot of an expert but I thought the 18 horse singles were an overhead valve engine and a lot taller and hence would not fit under the hood of most or all wheel horses...... ?

I'm thinking if you could see a picture of that engine and if it is a flat head that we are accustomed to it is almost definitely a 16.

• Like 1

bottjernat1
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

:text-yeahthat:

I'm not even close to being a long shot of an expert but I thought the 18 horse singles were an overhead valve engine and a lot taller and hence would not fit under the hood of most or all wheel horses...... ?

I'm thinking if you could see a picture of that engine and if it is a flat head that we are accustomed to it is almost definitely a 16.

That is what i thought to. it looked to me to be a 16 hp under the hood of this guys horse. i just wanted to make sure i was right. 

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Count the head bolts. A 16 has 10 of them.

• Like 4

953 nut

:think:             Could it be that the tractor left the factory with a Kohler twin 18 HP and a previous owner changed it out for a single cylinder and the young man who owns it is unaware that it is no longer an eighteen horse horse?

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:wwp: !!!

ztnoo

The look of a K361 OHV is very unique visually compared the all the other valve-in-block K series engines.

You could actually tell the difference from 50-75' away if the engine is exposed at all.

716475021_KohlerK361drawing.JPG.21fa21e5536d30b74d920ef67ba0e33a.JPG

The K361 shares the same bore and stroke dimensions with the K341 (3.750" x 3.250") = 35.90 cu. in. (588cc)

The compression ratios however, vary a great deal: 7.3:1 (K341) to 9.2:1 (K361)

K341 is a 10 bolt head, while the K361 is a 6 bolt head.

The valve sizes vary marginally as well: K341; Intake: 1-3/8", Exhaust: 1-3/8" / K361; Intake: 1-7/16", Exhaust: 1-13/32".

Engine code number can identify each clearly also. Code (71) = Model of Engine (K341); Code (23) = Model of Engine (K361).

K361 head:

1803666342_KohlerK361head.gif.a8eada33509ca67a0b385d4f4e8e7b1c.gif

They both have rod dippers and splash lube.
The 2 HP difference comes from the OHV and cam. The rockers on the K361 are oiled by the splash and vapor of the common K Series bottom.

They supposedly were only made in 1979-1980.

While they are rare, its generally believed to be because they had issues enough that they quit production. Not enough oil gets to the rockers, and valve seats come out.

"K361's lack of oil to the rockers and valves is because of a design flaw in the location of the crankcase breather. The top of the engine builds pressure therefore keeping the oil from reaching the top in sufficient quantities. It is a simple fix to get the oil up to the rockers. Block off the factory crankcase breather and install one in the aluminum valve cover on top of the engine. You will have to cut the factory valve cover to insert a breather. Once the top of the engine can breathe it will oil fine.
Think of any other engine with overhead valves and where the crankcase breather is. Kohler really dropped the ball on this one."  

*  http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/16803-kohler-k361-any-good/

There is actually one off a Power King for sale at that well known auction site. Pics from the listing:

118223848_KohlerK361a.jpg.69a4a5b792f34e241f3f0e1d905053cb.jpg

510783468_KohlerK361b.jpg.cc24f68f5cf3a471f42dcccb5b7217a1.jpg78482133_KohlerK361c.jpg.a8a954f1df5c6979df694576fdd90071.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjwiJfj8N7fAhUELK0KHfjbCc4QFjAAegQIBxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkohlerengines.com%2Fengines%2Fonlinecatalog%2Fpdf%2Ftp_1288.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1p06NV2wXpPPfkzsoVdnz_

Addendum: K361 block pics:

1827238937_KohlerK361block1.gif.cc65729fc2297ec12134e0a893a4d68f.gif521871953_KohlerK361block2.gif.702e9a4349f5b41c4e9ddc4ffdcf1a7a.gif1766215865_KohlerK361block3.gif.49f92bb1165ee8fa4b6d6e3a3de5c3bc.gif1095952707_KohlerK361block4.gif.2ff97f89fc1939ed79684dfdf5248702.gif5625754_KohlerK361block5.gif.c60598810f1ff4411b78b8df37f782b1.gif2035331427_KohlerK361block6.gif.b23d00107b61b1cfa8174d715c160259.gif972122148_KohlerK361block7.gif.bfe1375ea4965adacb06eeaae744c80e.gif

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Wow, I feel like I was getting the hang of things, then I find out there’s an 18 horse Kohler single?  So cool! 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

16hp overhead valve Tecumseh used in the model 1-0385

Garry

oldredrider

A Courage engine is total junk. Aluminum block, nylon cam gears and a very poor design. Consider yourself lucky if you get 200 hours out of one.

The Cub lawn tractors have them and after a year or two, they either blow themselves up or tear the blocks apart.

Built for people who don't mind buying a new mower every 2-3 years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

WVHillbilly520H
24 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

A Courage engine is total junk. Aluminum block, nylon cam gears and a very poor design. Consider yourself lucky if you get 200 hours out of one.

The Cub lawn tractors have them and after a year or two, they either blow themselves up or tear the blocks apart.

I was being funny...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

chip61
14 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

My FIL bought a Cub with that engine. No comparison to our old cast iron Kohlers even if it was rated at 20hp. It caught fire and burned up on me a couple years ago. Once all that plastic goes up in flames there's not much you can do.

• Sad 3

WHX??
48 minutes ago, chip61 said:

My FIL bought a Cub with that engine. No comparison to our old cast iron Kohlers even if it was rated at 20hp. It caught fire and burned up on me a couple years ago. Once all that plastic goes up in flames there's not much you can do.

Yah ther is... pull up a lawn chair, crack a cold one and watch her burn...oh and make sure you got some extra cold ones for the fire dept....:lol:

• Haha 7

roadapples

At least we didn't have to watch :wh: go down that road...

• Like 2

chip61
31 minutes ago, roadapples said:

At least we didn't have to watch :wh: go down that road...

That would've been a very sad occasion! 

• Like 2

Herder
22 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

16hp overhead valve Tecumseh used in the model 1-0385

Garry

Are these Tecumsehs worth anything? I have one and don't seem to have a use for it. It actually doesn't fit under the hood of a long frame.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, Herder said:

Are these Tecumsehs worth anything? I have one and don't seem to have a use for it. It actually doesn't fit under the hood of a long frame.

Adam what's the one that you have? A C160 actually is a long frame tractor so I'm a little confused why it wouldn't fit.

chip61

I may be wrong, but I believe I read that the Tecumseh powered C160's had spacers to lift the hood so it would clear the taller OHV Techy.

• Like 1

pfrederi
15 hours ago, Herder said:

If it works the ignition module is worth money

• Like 2

Herder
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Adam what's the one that you have? A C160 actually is a long frame tractor so I'm a little confused why it wouldn't fit.

I have a C160 parts tractor that has this large overhead valve or ignition tecumseh on it. At least thats what l believe it is.  I have been wrong once or twice.  I had considered trying to mount it on the short frame that your picking up.  That idea was short lived. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Herder said:

I have a C160 parts tractor that has this large overhead valve or ignition tecumseh on it. At least thats what l believe it is.  I have been wrong once or twice.  I had considered trying to mount it on the short frame that your picking up.  That idea was short lived. 

Ahhh....

Any chance of getting some pics sometime?

As Paul stated above, if that thing runs, the ignition module is definitely worth something.

Herder
19 hours ago, chip61 said:

I may be wrong, but I believe I read that the Tecumseh powered C160's had spacers to lift the hood so it would clear the taller OHV Techy.

That may be so, its on a C160 but i am not sure it's original to the tractor. 

Edited by Herder