Stepney

Linseed Oil

Stepney

Hello, all. A common thing for us to do in my old engine hobby is clean up faded paint and preserve it with Penetrol or boiled Linseed Oil. Did a few searches but couldn't find much. Has anyone tried it on their 'Horses? How does it hold up to water, etc? 

The Tuul Crib
35 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Hello, all. A common thing for us to do in my old engine hobby is clean up faded paint and preserve it with Penetrol or boiled Linseed Oil. Did a few searches but couldn't find much. Has anyone tried it on their 'Horses? How does it hold up to water, etc? 

Me personally lmo l would use linseed oil. I'm a wood craftsman and linseed oil is a good surface protection but if you use it be sure NOT to throw your rags away after use in the garbage because they can cause a fire. Drape them on the edge of the can to dry out.

• Like 1

Stepney
2 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Me personally lmo l would use linseed oil. I'm a wood craftsman and linseed oil is a good surface protection but if you use it be sure NOT to throw your rags away after use in the garbage because they can cause a fire. Drape them on the edge of the can to dry out.

Haha, I know that issue all too well. Our local FD burnt down some years ago from that very reason. My engines mostly stay indoors and are looked after. My WH still gets used quite a lot. How does it seem to hold up durability wise? It does stay in a shed but it will get dirty/wet a lot. 

The Tuul Crib

I think it would all depend on the use of the tractor.  Depending on use I would probably apply it say every 3 to 4 months . Eventually it should soak in and last a little longer 

Edited by The Tool Crib

peter lena

I don't use  linseed oil , but I do use chain and cable fluid on my metal horse, it looks fresh and the fluid is a great rust preventative , it also sheds water very well. the oil feeds the surface finish, pete 

The Tuul Crib
4 minutes ago, peter lena said:

I don't use  linseed oil , but I do use chain and cable fluid on my metal horse, it looks fresh and the fluid is a great rust preventative , it also sheds water very well. the oil feeds the surface finish, pete 

As with any treatment that has an oil base will do the same. It all comes down to the quality and density of the oil.

WHNJ701

Johnsons paste wax worked great on my 701

Stepney

To those who did Linseed oil, is it safe to go over the decals? 

rjg854
On 1/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, jabelman said:

Johnsons paste wax worked great on my 701

:text-yeahthat:I've done this to a couple of my tractors, makes for a nice shine and any water beads up, and the waxed areas clean up real easy.