dells68

Out with the new, in with the old!

WHGuy413

That isn't a 603. But still is a good tractor. A 603 had a h60 tecumseh engine. It didn't have fenders the hood was like a lawn ranger hood and the steering wheel was actually what they call a steering sector.

Edited by WHGuy413
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

No wait ! Huh?

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:     Glad to see you are finally able to put some time in on "Vintage Stuff".      :ychain:        Your serial number is in the '63 range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks!  I thought it probably wasn’t a 603, but everything except the engine match perfectly in patina.  I figured it was repowered.  Like I said, I’ll rebadge it as 603, even if it is a 633 since Emory was so excited with it.  I think it will make a sweet looking patina ride.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

dells68
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:     Glad to see you are finally able to put some time in on "Vintage Stuff".      :ychain:        Your serial number is in the '63 range.

Thanks Richard.  It’s going to be a nice vintage looking tractor for him.  Unlike myself, he likes the looks of the older tractors in the work clothes.  The condition of the two tractors I fixed for his Christmas tractors were so poor to start with that a full on resto/mod was the only route.  I like a tractor fixed back like it would have been new for myself with the exception of the little 58 rj I finished last fall.  My D160 is now minus all of its paint, but remains a very straight solid machine, so it will get new decals and a coat of Regal Red.  This little guy will be cleaned good, sanded, and cleared to preserve its history.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Shynon
54 minutes ago, dells68 said:

It originally had a Tillotson updraft carb on it

That would tell me it's a 633 

55 minutes ago, dells68 said:

It had 633 on the belt guard

• Like 1

dells68

Emory came home a little while ago and we’ve talked about his tractor.  I explained that the 633 would have the recoil start also and that the Tillotson is one of the identifying features.  He said that if it is a 633, that he’s ok with that.  The thing he liked about it at the show was the recoil start.  Go figure!  He explained that he thinks less of the recoil start tractors are around because folks want electric start motors.  I tried to talk him into a 753, but he was set on this little guy.  Guess all works out in the end!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

chip61

I like every detail of that Work Horse-it turned out great!!!

• Thanks 1

953 nut
38 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I tried to talk him into a 753, but he was set on this little guy.

You know that you are spoiling Emory.    Keep up the good work!              :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ACman

You’re such a good dad :thumbs2:. Remember I’m still up for adoption and come with at least ten tractors plus a hoard of round hood parts :lol:.

• Haha 5

Pullstart
11 hours ago, dells68 said:

Emory came home a little while ago and we’ve talked about his tractor.  I explained that the 633 would have the recoil start also and that the Tillotson is one of the identifying features.  He said that if it is a 633, that he’s ok with that.  The thing he liked about it at the show was the recoil start.  Go figure!  He explained that he thinks less of the recoil start tractors are around because folks want electric start motors.  I tried to talk him into a 753, but he was set on this little guy.  Guess all works out in the end!

That kid’s got good taste, Dell!  And the tractor will ultimately be what he wants it...  My “502” has a 64 frame, 78 trans, 8 horse Kohler, 62 front wheels, 78 (I’m told are not actually Wheel Horse?) rear wheels and 502 ‘62 sheet metal.  You tell me what that’s upposed To be labeled, and I’ll give you a few reasons it doesn’t make sense 😁

• Haha 1

Racinbob

The front axle on the 603 was carried over from the previous years where the 633 and up used the newer style axle. In any case that's a fine old machine. :)

• Like 1

dells68

Well I tore the ole girl down tonight and scrubbed the frame, engine, and trans with lacquer thinner to remove as much grease as I could.  I was shocked at how much red was still there.  Emory even got in on the scraping.  Only problems I’ve found are the trans appears to have been full of motor oil😱 and there was this weird green thing hugging the engine!  Oh and if you’ll notice I pulled down my sheets I use for curtains to wash them and you’ll see why I have to put them up - my wife’s washer and dryer share one end of the little garage.

5B8BC26F-B9ED-4234-8353-48449A0691E8.jpeg

E0C6F49F-6D27-487E-81E2-B64869E61484.jpeg

CEF47E96-D981-45A8-91B2-DB79571870BF.jpeg

D6EF3DF8-A66B-4D8D-BE9D-40F019FCF441.jpeg

D6B8C37B-CD4E-44E4-B2E6-AA468A87771F.jpeg

9938D921-38D8-4DB7-93B4-9B9E7D7CDD87.jpeg

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:thumbs:  Boy, that Emory!

He's got a good eye for that original :wh: patina. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHGuy413

That's gonna look good all original.

• Thanks 1

dells68
28 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:thumbs:  Boy, that Emory!

He's got a good eye for that original :wh: patina. 

Thanks Craig.  He was insistent that was the tractor he wanted to spend his money on at last year’s show.  I have to admit, it’s cleaning up a lot better than I expected.  

28 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

That's gonna look good all original.

Yup, Emory is insistent that he wants to keep this one original.  Right now he’s talking about having me paint the wheels black to match the black seat cover and recoil I had to buy for it.  Looks great on my rj, might give it a try.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

Thanks Craig.  He was insistent that was the tractor he wanted to spend his money on at last year’s show.  I have to admit, it’s cleaning up a lot better than I expected.

He’s got a good eye, and a quick draw!  I was hanging around it waiting for the owner, decided to shop around, come back and it’s across the way in the Dell barn!  I’m happy Emory got it, it was more of a joy to see him shine talking to me about it and persistent to get it running!

• Thanks 1

dells68

Sorry @pullstart Kevin!  Didn’t mean to take it away from anyone.  Emory was just adamant that we go look for a tractor and when he found this one, that was it!  We’ll try our best to take good care of it!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
20 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Sorry @pullstart Kevin!  Didn’t mean to take it away from anyone.  Emory was just adamant that we go look for a tractor and when he found this one, that was it!  We’ll try our best to take good care of it!

No worries, it’s in good hands I know!

• Like 1

oldredrider

No worries indeed Dell. He didn't have room for it on the truck anyway! :thumbs:

• Haha 3

dells68

I had a chance to work a little on Emory’s 633.  I was wrong about the decal on the belt guard, it says 653.  A 653 had an electric start Techumseh, correct?  There are no signs of it ever having a key switch or starter button.  The holes are still plugged on the dash tower, so I think that was a replacement belt guard.  The only metal repair I had to do was weld a nut on the front hood mount and fix two small cracks.  Very solid little tractor with only surface rust,  no noticeable pitting.  It would have been a great resto project, but Emory wants to keep the patina.  Emory and I had time to get everything degreased and sanded ready for clear.  We also unboxed my new tool chest from Harbor Freight.  It’s supposed to be a cart, but I left off the legs and sat it on my bench.  I had a coupon for $109 and had a $20 gift card from one of my students.  Can’t beat that!  Emory posed with it.

1A2DE063-DE93-49BA-A0C0-8017A47E023B.jpeg

E0AC59DF-856A-4CF1-AFE0-AB135E09B789.jpeg

0CA22361-17A5-4104-BE25-B8A7E5E5DCE8.jpeg

DF174358-F954-4F77-9CC2-A37EE0888196.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

dells68

A little more tonight.  I did some reassembly on Emory’s tractor.  Hood is just sitting on there for now.  Emory posed for a friend I ran into tonight.  Hadn’t seen him in a couple of years.  His wife was a super friend who passed from cancer.  Anyway, here are a couple more shots during reassembly after clear.  Mods, move this to restorations thread if needed.

A98F6F71-DD47-4997-A74F-54F057A28B6A.jpeg

73614D9C-4339-42FE-B846-197D105EFD02.jpeg

B14ACA61-DEF3-478C-B65B-8902BDD3ECBC.jpeg

83572017-47D2-4206-833A-DD965EFAA93C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

Looking pretty good!!!

• Thanks 1

dells68

Been working a little while we try to keep Emory awake for his test.  His engine runs great when it’s on level ground.  As soon as you get on a hill and the float bowl empties, the engine dies because the fuel is gravity flow.  Checked the cam and it appears to have the lobe for a pump, but won’t run a mechanical pump.  So...I decided to try a Briggs pulse pump.  I tapped the fuel pump block off plate for a new vacuum fitting.  Got it plumbed up.  We’ll see if it works after we get it off the table.  Kind of looks like it’s got a heart now🤣.

3152BD07-CDE6-46A9-965B-28500085B29B.jpeg

6788E33D-0DF6-4554-8E67-A64678B7B8B6.jpeg

A8F8EE91-595D-4F55-A3BA-21134DF1D938.jpeg

5911E923-AC70-4166-8A8B-7DE8D977B2B9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1