pgenesta

Best Replacement Engine

pgenesta

Greetings,

I have a 1979 C-81 (91-08K802-16471) and it's time I look at my options on replacing the engine.

So, best off the shelf, out of the box and straight bolt on your preference would be? 

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

If it were me I would go with a K241 10 hp or a k301 12 hp . 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, pgenesta said:

straight bolt on

If you're looking for a direct bolt in I wouldn't hesitate a heartbeat to find a good used 8 like what's in there now.

If you're looking for a bit more power... I'd go with exactly what @The Tool Crib says.

Maybe a 12.

You can get all the parts you need from a donor Tractor and effectively make it a c 121.

• Like 2

Tuneup

Hi pg,

I'm 'hearing' that you're looking for new so you might not have the desire or expertise to find an old Kohler for replacement or upgrade? The listers above are right in my opinion - find an original Kohler and bolt it on. It will likely run fine for many years and the K301 12HP is not hard to locate - great upgrade. That said, you can always try Harbor Freight for a cheap engine - that would get you new at the lowest price (though likely a pull start) but would require a bit of modification of the bolt pattern on the frame and likely some PTO work. Last, you can look at craigslist in your area for a donor machine with a good engine and do a swap. Whatever the route, these old machines will need mechanical expertise - I'll assume you have it and want to get into some fairly serious wrenching or you wouldn't have this old machine in line for a refreshing. Enjoy!

clueless

If you replace it with another Kohler K series engine, anything above an eight horsepower needs to have the smaller, narrower oil pan to fit the engine cradle.

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Or just remove the wobble mount stuff and bolt the engine directly to the frame. :)

• Like 2

Stepney

Sounds like you need to remove the wobble mounts and stuff a K-341 in there:D

• Excellent 1

wallfish

What's up with the current engine you have and why does it need to be replaced?

I agree with finding a good used Kohler for replacing yours but they are getting more difficult to find easily around here. Used to be able to check CL and find one within a week but now you have to keep an eye out out for them.

"Out of the box" new you're probably going to need to go with a Chinese engine but just a straight bolt on and go new engine is not gonna happen unless you can find a NOS Kohler.

• Like 1

pgenesta

Thank you to all for your suggestions, I have some research to do.

ZXT

Best off the shelf, bolt-on would be a rebuilt Kohler. Predators are good engines, but they're usually pull start and don't look right for the vintage of the tractor. 

As said, a used Kohler is also a good option. Unless its incredibly cheap, be sure to hear it run before you buy it to make sure it isn't worn out.

Have any pics of the tractor? We'd love to see them, regardless of condition!