MAWHguy2019

310-8 and 312-8

MAWHguy2019

Hi guys,

Save for the engine, are these two units compatible, part for part?

If no, what are the differences?

I have an option on a few 310's but would like it if I can raid one for parts for my 312 if needed.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

These tractors should be mostly interchangeable. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:wwp:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

The wiring on the 310 is a bit less involved than a 312 and some changes were made from year to year there are few differences.

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Early models used the K-Series of engines with battery ignition.

Later models used the M-Series of engines with magneto ignition.

Some have a voltage regulator and some do not.

These amount to changes in the wiring but nothing that can't be made work.

Transmissions will interchange but axle diameters and number of differential pinions may be different.

Garry

Should add

The last 312-8's used a Kohler Command engine with a similar magneto ignition.

• Like 3

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

JC 1965

:WRS:

KC9KAS

@MAWHguy2019 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

MAWHguy2019

Thank you everyone. This is quite the welcome!

See attached for my 312-8. It is such a great machine. These were made in time when things were truly built to last.

All the 310's have gone on CL but I will be looking for a nice parts tractor for a 312.

What parts do you all consider to be the most important to have on hand for replacement?

Hardest parts to find that need to be replaced?

Thank you

WH.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JCM

Welcome to red square and congrats on one of the most dependable tractors made.If you go to the picture gallery and click on Wheel horse of the month Feb 2013 you will see my 312-8 that I purchased new in 1989.It has been a great tractor other than gas ,oil,grease 1 clutch interlock switch plenty of soap & water&wax jobs you should not  need to do much if it has been maintained.Keep it under cover,use and admire it, you have made a great investment.[according to jackie stewart] My dealer told me that if I took good care of it that it was a forever tractor,and after 30 years I think he was right.

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

I have an 85 310-8 and it still looks really nice since the last owner took great care of it. I think come spring I am gonna replace all the fuel lines and filter and give the carb a bath. Starting to have to crank for awhile before it starts. I think they are fairly bulletproof if taken care of! 

Randy

• Like 2

oliver2-44

@RandyLittrell You might also pull the fuel and clean it, or just go ahead and put a rebuild kit in it.  One of my other color tractors was taking a while to crank, and I bought a full replacement fuel pump off Ebay for a low price, Cured the problem, now starts right after i kit the key.

15 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Starting to have to crank for awhile before it starts. I think they are fairly bulletproof if taken care of! 

Randy

• Like 1

953 nut
On 1/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, MAWHguy2019 said:

What parts do you all consider to be the most important to have on hand for replacement?

Other than spark plugs and fuel lines the only part that I have worn out on mine is the seat!           You will find that Wheel Horse used standard industrial bearings, seals and fittings that are easy to find.

:soapbox:          Many manufacturers seem to use "Propitiatory Parts" that can only be sourced through their dealer network and cost an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

37 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:hilarious:

...the only part that I have worn out on mine is the seat!          

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell
On 1/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, oliver2-44 said:

@RandyLittrell You might also pull the fuel and clean it, or just go ahead and put a rebuild kit in it.  One of my other color tractors was taking a while to crank, and I bought a full replacement fuel pump off Ebay for a low price, Cured the problem, now starts right after i kit the key.

It was in the plan, I ran out of fuel towards the end of the season and it wouldn't start, so I pulled the carb and did a quicky clean on it to put it back to mowing.

MAWHguy2019

Thanks for the advice guys. These are such great machines. So well built. Makes you wonder why Toro effectively killed the brand!

• Like 1

lynnmor
13 minutes ago, MAWHguy2019 said:

Thanks for the advice guys. These are such great machines. So well built. Makes you wonder why Toro effectively killed the brand!

Can you imagine the current crop of buyers walking into a chain store to buy a lawn mower and seeing a tractor with grease fittings, a hump to step over, an old fashioned steel hood and a much higher price tag?  People want cheap because they will ruin it quickly anyway.   The dumbest thing that I have seen lately is Briggs & Stratton engines with no oil drain.  https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/campaigns/just-check-and-add.html

• Haha 1