Mows4three

Needle Scaler

Mows4three

Several years ago Oliver2-44 (Jim) replied to ebinmaine (Eric) in a post that a needle scaler would remove large rust scale for some project Eric was working on (when is Eric NOT working on a project, eh?).

I have seen needle scalers used in welding shops to remove slag on non-critical welds.  They don't do a bad job on heavy 7018 slag if you can handle the tiny indentations they can make.  Being a tool guy and currently working to clean and paint the underside of the mower deck on my White GT1855, I started thinking about how to work smarter and not harder.    

Yesterday, I was looking through the most recent catalog from Harbor Fright and admiring their attempts to confuse me on their prices and prod me into parting with a few hard earned shekels.  I saw two sizes of needle scalers and being just slightly less thrifty than my aforementioned friend in Maine, I decided to buy the less expensive of the two.   With a 20% off coupon in hand I was able to bring the small HF needle scaler home for $25.43.   They also gave me a free LED light to wear on my forehead when I have to go out in the dark to retrieve firewood.   Nice folks at HF.

Below is a representative video of the needle scaler doing what it does best.  My attorney told me that I need to tell everyone that you must wear eye and ear protection when watching this video and be sure to read and understand the owners manual that comes with this tool.   Also, be prepared to share the needle scaler if your neighbor comes home from work and sees you using it.  He has a few mower decks that need cleaned up, too.   

Enjoy.  Cheers and Happy New Year!

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

Is the air consumption high?

Looks like it worded pretty good.

I seen a needle scaler attachment somewhere, not sure where, that goes on a air chisel. That interested me also.

Mows4three
1 hour ago, OILUJ52 said:

Is the air consumption high?

The packaging has air consumption recommendations printed on the side.  I think it wasn't advised to use with 1-3 gallon compressors, not preferred to use 4-7 and recommended to use 8 or more gallons.   

I have a duel tank Emglo portable compressor that I have used for years to power my Porter-Cable framing, roofing and finishing nailers.  It worked well for me.  It is a 4 gallons compressor.  

IMG_4879.JPG

Mows4three

OILUJ52:   

I see you are from Rice's Landing.  Have you ever visited the old line shaft operated machine shop there along the waterfront?   I think it's called W. A. Young.   I just learned about it from a blacksmith friend of mine and I can't wait to go there some Saturday. 

Cheers!

Dave

Paul Van Benschoten
11 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

I seen a needle scaler attachment somewhere, not sure where, that goes on a air chisel. That interested me also.

I bought this scaler attachment for my HF  air chisel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBLS1KP/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is noisy ! The air chisel uses a lot of air. Maybe I need to turn down the air pressure, I have it set to 90 PSI on an 80 gallon compressor.  

** maybe it wasn't a HF chisel. It might of come from Tractor Supply. Anyway, it is not an Ingersoll Rand brand, but the scaler does fit.

• Thanks 1

JoeM
11 hours ago, Mows4three said:

OILUJ52:   

I see you are from Rice's Landing.  Have you ever visited the old line shaft operated machine shop there along the waterfront?   I think it's called W. A. Young.   I just learned about it from a blacksmith friend of mine and I can't wait to go there some Saturday. 

Cheers!

Dave

Yes, I have been to the old shop. Last visit about 15 years ago. Very cool.

• Like 1

jebbear
On 1/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, OILUJ52 said:

Yes, I have been to the old shop.

Been there too! Rices Landing... we're almost neighbors!

• Like 1

Mows4three
On 1/5/2019 at 7:27 AM, Paul Van Benschoten said:

It is noisy ! The air chisel uses a lot of air. Maybe I need to turn down the air pressure, I have it set to 90 PSI on an 80 gallon compressor.  

Hello Paul:

I couldn't agree more about the noise.   It really gets louder when you are using it on a mower deck.  Almost like working inside a bell.   I'd also recommend safety glasses.  In addition to the obvious protection from flying rust scale, the HF scaler scaler shoots oil straight up from the area around the air chuck end of the tool.  If you're leaning over it, you'll get a face full of oil mist.  

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by Mows4three
  • Like 1

formariz
16 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Hello Paul:

I couldn't agree more about the noise.   It really gets louder when you are using it on a mower deck.  Almost like working inside a bell.   I'd also recommend safety glasses.  In addition to the obvious protection from flying rust scale, the HF scaler scaler shoots oil straight up from the area around the air chuck end of the tool.  If you're leaning over it, you'll get a face full of oil mist.  

Cheers!

Dave

I been thinking about getting one. Seems to be the most efficient tool to do what it does. Perhaps for the noise on a deck, place deck on a few furniture blankets as to damp the resonance. Not sure about that specific tool from HB but may air tools I have one can change exhaust direction by removing that section and turning it?

• Like 1

953 nut

:handgestures-thumbupright:       The needle gun will cut your sand blasting time drastically, it will cut the total time in half on most jobs. Only problem is I can't do it when SWMBO is home!               :sad-darkcloud:

• Like 1

Mows4three
6 hours ago, formariz said:

Perhaps for the noise on a deck, place deck on a few furniture blankets as to damp the resonance. Not sure about that specific tool from HB but may air tools I have one can change exhaust direction by removing that section and turning it?

Thanks for the suggestion.   I have a couple of sawhorses about 28"  tall that put mower decks at the right height to work on.   I'm not really concerned about the amount noise that the scaler makes.  I usually put my ear muffs on any time I do something that's going to get loud.  I guess I could staple some carpet scraps on the flat top of the sawhorses to do the same thing as blankets, plus I could change them out when they got too dirty.  

When i I get out to the shop, I'll check where the exhaust port is on the needle scaler.   My bet is they didn't add this option to it, but you never know.....

Cheers!

Dave

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

check where the exhaust port is on the needle scaler.

You got drills Dave

Make your own exhaust port.

:teasing-tease:

• Like 1

Mows4three

I could follow that comment with a witty reply, but I'll just let you use your imagination, Eric!!!    Ha!   LOL...! 

• Haha 1

Sarge

If you look at the higher priced or higher quality air chisels or needle scalers you'll see either a forward exhaust or a shield to push the exhaust away from the operator. Nothing worse than having any flying scale accelerated by the exhaust out of the tool. Not all that hard to fabricate a shield to divert the exhaust away from your face - I've done it on a few of my air die grinders here.

Overall, getting a good quality air hammer is the best investment versus a dedicated needle scaler - it can be used for a whole slew of jobs to knock things back into shape or move frozen parts. Plus, the add-on type of scalers are a lot cheaper in the long run and just screw onto almost any air hammer brand out there - that outside threaded portion is a standard across the industry as is the .401 shank size. Barrel size is up to you - think of it this way, shorter the barrel, the faster/lighter the impact force. Long barrel units can easily break things if you feed them the correct cfm with the proper sized air fittings/hoses. A medium barrel is an overall good balance of knocking/cutting power and control, without destroying what you're working on. Be aware, almost all needle scalers will leave some serious marks, so test an area that isn't visually important to looks first. But, for heavy rust scale - a tool you can't beat to own. 

Sarge

• Like 2

carscape

I have worked with some mechanics who slipped a length of bicycle inner tube over the air hose and tie to rear of

air wrenches to quiet and redirect exhaust.  Remove occasionally to remove oil from hose. 

Thanks, Sarge, for the general guide lines.  I'm in the market because my welding requires a lot of chipping. 

• Like 1

Mows4three
11 hours ago, carscape said:

I have worked with some mechanics who slipped a length of bicycle inner tube over the air hose and tie to rear of

air wrenches to quiet and redirect exhaust.  Remove occasionally to remove oil from hose. 

Thanks, Sarge, for the general guide lines.  I'm in the market because my welding requires a lot of chipping. 

The inner tube is a good idea.  I'll have to try that out in the springtime when I resume my driveway based restoration of this mower deck.  

Cheers!

Dave

Sarge

What rod are you using that needs a needle scaler? 6010 and other cellulose rods can leave some nasty flux that is hard to remove, but most times I just use a scratch pick and a stringer brush on the grinder. 

Sarge