WildmanC120

Got the 71' GT14 Running Today

WildmanC120

I picked this up a few weeks ago as you all know. I have not touched it since.  Even though we got some snow last night, it was a decent day here at almost 40 degrees.  Got myself a battery as the old one was a tiny atv battery and no good.  Also made some new cables to match the battery.  Ignore the red negative cable as that's all they had in stock.  I'll put some black heat shrink on it later but it works for now. I also made that battery hold down clamp as the stock one was missing.  Replaced the muffler too as it was full of holes.

Engine runs pretty well although it is down on power and smokes pretty good.  Ill either replace it with a 16hp or rebuild this one and maybe add a cam and a long rod setup.  We will see what happens but it runs for now so it will allow me to work on the trans.

As for the trans as you can see it goes forward ok.  Seems to have good power going forward. Was unable to really test it as the ground is covered in snow.  Reverse...that's another issue.  Reverse is pretty gutless and does not work very well. I cannot tell how much oil is in the trans as its really hard to see on the dipstick, but there is oil in it and and it will drip off the bottom so I know there is at least dipstick level in it.  The hydro lift works OK so I don't think I have serious issues.   I'll probably start by draining the trans, replace filter and fill with new ATF.

1971 Wheel Horse GT14

IMG_20190103_153723.jpg

• Like 5

953 nut
9 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

Reverse is pretty gutless and does not work very well.

Probably the springs in the Acceleration Valves are shot. Check the manual and you will see their location (the one in the front is for reverse).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

Make sure of what your tranny fluid is when you drain it.

If its oil, it will have a brownish or honey colored tint to it.

If it hasn't been changed for a very long time, it could be darker in color.

If its ATF, it will have a reddish tint to it.

Its critical you replace the fluid with what was in the tranny.

Do not mix fluids!

Removing the notched rear seat frame fixture will allow you better access to fill and check fluid levels during your servicing.

Be sure you get a hydraulic filter and not a motor filter.

Hydraulic filters have a higher micron filtering rate than a motor filter.

I use a NAPA 1410 hydraulic filter.

My first year 1969, Model # 1774 GT 14 (now 50 years old), uses 1 gallon of ATF, Type A.

Yours should take the same volume unless you have additional hydraulic devices in your system.

From watching the video, the back up speed doesn't appear to be as bad as you described.

A dirty filter and low tranny fluid levels can have a big impact on the reverse function, at least in my experience.

Also you might want to remove the control lever cover and see if your hydraulic control valve is leaking when the fluid level is correct.

I had a progressively worse leaking control valve that was losing big amounts of fluid and affecting overall tractor hydraulic functions.

Let us know if the servicing makes a difference in hydraulic performance.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WildmanC120
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Probably the springs in the Acceleration Valves are shot. Check the manual and you will see their location (the one in the front is for reverse).

I'll take a look when I figure out where they are. haha

• Thanks 1

WildmanC120
6 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Make sure of what your tranny fluid is when you drain it.

If its oil, it will have a brownish or honey colored tint to it.

If it hasn't been changed for a very long time, it could be darker in color.

If its ATF, it will have a reddish tint to it.

Its critical you replace the fluid with what was in the tranny.

Do not mix fluids!

Removing the notched rear seat frame fixture will allow you better access to fill and check fluid levels during your servicing.

Be sure you get a hydraulic filter and not a motor filter.

Hydraulic filters have a higher micron filtering rate than a motor filter.

I use a NAPA 1410 hydraulic filter.

My first year 1969, Model # 1774 GT 14 (now 50 years old), uses 1 gallon of ATF, Type A.

Yours should take the same volume unless you have additional hydraulic devices in your system.

From watching the video, the back up speed doesn't appear to be as bad as you described.

A dirty filter and low tranny fluid levels can have a big impact on the reverse function, at least in my experience.

Also you might want to remove the control lever cover and see if your hydraulic control valve is leaking when the fluid level is correct.

I had a progressively worse leaking control valve that was losing big amounts of fluid and affecting over tractor function.

Let us know if the servicing makes a difference in hydraulic performance.

I know backup may have looked OK but its bad.  No power there, lags as it takes a second or 2 to start moving etc.