Jojoca

Pulled k241 head

Jojoca

I finally pulled the head on my 1054. It appears to have been bored .10 over in its 50 plus years of life. It didn’t clean up too bad. The cylinder had absolutely no scratches in it.  

01841383-849C-476B-A5BF-1F36C77CC01E.jpeg

E4ACC6B0-481F-4CC9-987C-1086B2DC1719.jpeg

• Like 2

Jojoca

30620924-69BB-4AED-B89C-81C321E677BC.jpeg

3ADFABC3-AE51-4388-BFCB-EBAEB7CC950B.jpeg

4F959ECC-FEB7-4C11-B981-721C5BE05190.jpeg

• Like 3

WHX??

Looks pretty good buddy.. cleaned up real nice. Valve side of piston looks good from here. How's the bore/valves/seats look? Any smoke before you popped the head?

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Looks like it may have burned some ethanol blend gas with all the carbon left behind . 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

If you have the tools now would be a good time to mic the cylinder bore top and bottom.  Others may jump in here and help me, I’ve see pictures of carbon pattern and explinations of causes. If memory serves me carbon on 1/2 and not the other half of the piston could indicate some blow-by from out of roundness.  Or it could just be ethanol gas as mentioned above

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Jojoca

I took a piece of 220gritand opened the valves and closed it till it made contact with paper and I worked it back and forth to help clean the carbon the best I could off off the valve and seats. I really want to try a mirror finish on the head to see if it will preform better I will also face the head gasket area with instructions I’ve been reading about.  

DF2AE3CE-53B3-4C39-B8AF-15D3D0A764FE.jpeg

• Like 1

lynnmor

That exhaust valve was running plenty hot.  I would pull the valves and do a proper valve grind, I have no idea what you meant about using sandpaper.

Jojoca

I have never pulled valves before nor have a spring compressor. Do you know if harbor freight sells spring compressors in their store?

Jojoca
11 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Looks pretty good buddy.. cleaned up real nice. Valve side of piston looks good from here. How's the bore/valves/seats look? Any smoke before you popped the head?

It did smoke some but with the 20 or so hours I’ve ran it, it has never used oil. I’ve ran either seafoam or marvel mystery oil in the gas since I built the tractor last year. It actually ran pretty good but I noticed the head was a little wet on the pto side from the head gasket so I decided to pull it to change the gasket. I’ll try to get a spring compressor and pull carb off so I can pull the valves to clean them too. 

Tuneup

I don't have a spring compressor either and use needle nose pliers as a lever. Not as easy, of course, but has served me since I was 15. Yeah, I'm cheap - now that I can afford these things, I'm slow in getting them. There's always some alternate method using normal tools that one can apply. Seems that engine is burning a little oil and that the head gasket was weeping a bit. Good luck!

• Like 2

WHX??
4 hours ago, Jojoca said:

I have never pulled valves before nor have a spring compressor. Do you know if harbor freight sells spring compressors in their store?

I got this one as I was doing enough to quit using screwdrivers. Not the best quality but for a hobbyist... ok. would guess HF has one too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Spring-Compressor-8-Universal-Adjustable-Automotive-Engine-Repair-Tool-/173663062657?hash=item286f200a81

After you get it back together don't forget to re-torque the head bolts after a little running.

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1

Looks pretty good. new head gasket and your golden.

• Like 1

Jojoca

Intake valve right within specs of 8 to 10 thousands and exhaust was at 13 and should of been between 18 and 20. With carb off I’m not seeing hardly any carbon in the intake. I sized them both correctly and milled down the head to take the warp out of it.  got it all back together ready to start it until I busted a small wire off under regulator and decided to call it quits till tomorrow evening. I didn’t end up taking the valves out because I have no lapping compound so see you she runs tomorrow evening. Damn I just can’t get enough enjoyment from these tough old bastards!  😎. When I’m not working on them or with them I’m fulfilling my time on red square learning something more everyday 

296D6B41-1941-42DE-BBC3-00F0672B742C.jpeg

Edited by Jojoca
To add to it
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

squonk

Probably some vale guide wear with that carbon build up also.

Jojoca

Alright I got her back up and running. Points were set at 23 so I backed it down to 19. I can’t get it to run at full throttle without a little hesitation every five seconds or so. In this video does it sound like the timing might still need to be played with?  It sounds better since I narrowed the point gap.  Maybe I need to get some carb cleaner and clean the high speed jet out. I also retorqed the he’s bolts after 10 minutes of running to 30 foot pounds. 

• Like 1

Jojoca

Well I can’t get even a 9 second video to load because it says it’s too big so I guess I can’t let you listen

• Sad 1

Jojoca

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Jojoca said:

Alright I got her back up and running. Points were set at 23 so I backed it down to 19. I can’t get it to run at full throttle without a little hesitation every five seconds or so. In this video does it sound like the timing might still need to be played with?  It sounds better since I narrowed the point gap.  Maybe I need to get some carb cleaner and clean the high speed jet out. I also retorqed the he’s bolts after 10 minutes of running to 30 foot pounds. 

Your points also set the ignition timing so a little change can make a big diferance. The best way to set the points is to use "Static Timing". You will need to remove the S/G belt cover and belt as well as the flywheel cover shroud to do this job.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

• Like 1

Tuneup

Hey there, Jojo,

I was raised on the old adage that it's always 'ignition first'. That really doesn't apply in the age of microprocessors and today's complex engines but certainly does on these machines. Ah, the simple life.

That engine is missing terribly. You adjusted the points but did you clean and file them? Is the capacitor good? The plug? The narrower gap gives the ignition some advance timing so you can ignore that fine tune at this time. Once you're absolutely sure of the health of the ignition, move to the fuel and carb adjustments. I read that you adjusted the exhaust valve back to spec so that's out of the consideration...

Old machines, yes, so they can be a bother (unless you love to work on them like me) but the solutions are usually very simple. I'm nowhere near Kansas but would help if I could. Good luck!

• Like 4

Jojoca

I’ll try setting the timing based on the mark on flywheel today.  I apreciate the advice

• Thanks 1