Jim anderson

Model year on C-125?

Pullstart

Welcome @Jim anderson, nice ride!

peter lena

hello Jim, that deck drop is a piece of cake, first off, release the belt tension at the front  pulley mount , screw it in to back off belt tension, that will allow you to remove drive belt to mower deck. dropping the mule drive is easy, right hand side release.   deck  comes off and installs on  PTO SIDE , I usually lower my rear deck wheels to lowest setting , then I pick up the deck with lift handle to secure stop. then I unhook the tech a matic center lift on left side of tractor , just under engine fan, now you can manually let the deck down . pull deck off lift arm pin , and raise lift handle , now you can slide the deck out. as RJG854 SAID  once you do this a couple of times its easy. the blade install is very simple once you install the rear axel carrier , just a matter of lifting the rear mount point cross bar with a shovel on ground to the lift arm yokes and pinning in place . more details on this site , good luck , pete

Jim anderson

Pete-  thanks so much for the step by step tutorial.  I should be trying this out tomorrow, and hopefully flow directly into the mounting of the plow.  I plan on doing a little more thorough checkout of the tractor to include fluid levels etc.  The engine oil looked very clean when I bought it, however I don’t know what weight it has in it.  I’m guessing 10W30 for the cold weather is the recommended weight ?  

Thanks All

jim

peter lena

JIM ,10-30  used to be the winter alternate to straight 30 for the rest of year, you might look up your model against the oil scale. the magnum version with electronic ignition , recommends 5-30  for winter  and straight 30 for the rest of year. I think for the 2 + quarts involved ,it would be worth your own oil change to verify what you have. that rear end oil is probably worth changing also , to verify what you have ,baseline service , probably change out the shift boot also , they crack and leak in moisture , about $ 9 on eBay.

Jim anderson

Thanks for the advice, I will try to get it all done!  I should be posting my accomplishments as I go, hopefully with minimal problems.

jim

Jim anderson

All went very well for the first time.  I got the deck off easily, plow mounted, new snow chains on, and the driveway plowed.  Some very heavy/wet snow.  It has been melting for a week and gotten rained on at least 3 times.  Great fun!  So a bit curious, should I leave the mule drive on, or remove completely.  I took the guard off for this first run, it looked like the plow might hit it in the raised position.  Still need to troubleshoot the lights, do the oil change and a couple other things. May have a loose wire to the starter too.  Thanks to all who offered advise!,,,

8479D181-B617-47E4-AD38-03831F93FD15.jpeg

9AB51D9C-7594-4CCE-8869-14F74817BBE8.jpeg

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

I take the mule drive of my C-105 and store it with the deck...

Figure it does not need to be exposed to the elements and salt etc...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, cleat said:

Take that mule off and then you can make up (or get made up) a stabilizer to hold the plow nice and straight.

Takes a lot of stress off of the rear attachment points.

Here are the plans I drew up.

Snow blade stabilizer.pdf

Here are a couple of pictures of mine.

1990130356_Snowbladestabilizerrodweldedtogether1.jpg.da1d58fd6e677f40cec576194e018ee2.jpg

1398730869_Snowbladestabilizerbracketclampedintoposition.jpg.11020a1c39433fda09d77e3aa1067609.jpg

1243731911_Bladestabilizerinstalled1.jpg.3c9bee2b581af37c276b4b0915bc9a52.jpg

196136422_Bladestabilizerinstalled4.jpg.83b625bb8242260e630593a56d616962.jpg

To mount the plate with the hole for the rod to pass through I just installed the stabilizer into the front attachment bracket on the tractor then

pass the rod through the plate and clamp it onto the blade so the rod is as close to vertical as possible then drill the 2 holes and bolt it up.

Once it is clamped you can remove the stabilizer from the front attachment bracket on the tractor, then disconnect the lift link and rear attachment bracket on the tractor

so you can pull the blade forward a little to make drilling easier.

Then just slide it back, re-attach everything and you are good to go.

Because of you and owning an xi, here's my version...

IMAG3757.jpg

IMAG4199.jpg

IMAG3756.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

formariz

@cleat, @WVHillbilly520HGreat idea on that stabilizer. The sideways deflection on the plow always concerned me. Will be making one soon.Thank you guys!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jim anderson

Looks like I may have another project, thanks for the ideas, more work to do!!

• Haha 1

Lee1977

Now that you have the mower deck off turn it over and clean the acclimated grass off. A putty knife, wire brush, or a side grinder with a wire brush works. Also check for any cracks in the deck. Some of us prime and paint the under side some use oil and other products. Any thing of those you chose will help keep the deck from rusting. The important part is a good cleaning any time you have it off. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

peter lena

lots of good back and forth on this issue, and related ideas, that's how its supposed to be , like having a sit down , talk , Pete 

• Like 1

formariz
53 minutes ago, peter lena said:

lots of good back and forth on this issue, and related ideas, that's how its supposed to be , like having a sit down , talk , Pete 

You got to love this place but mostly the people in it.Just spending a little time relaxing and all of a sudden without asking , looking or thinking about there is a great idea for something you had a concern with. Like I said in another post, knowledge is not our property, we are only its caretakers. It is our responsibility to use it wisely , add to it and pass it along. No other place besides here that I know better exemplifies that fact specially when one considers how diverse the membership is as to our  geographical and cultural differences .

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Jim anderson

Cleat- Great idea, looks like I’m doing more work in my future 

cleat

Maybe I can come out there and build it for you.

I am sure it is much warmer there....

Jim anderson

Cleat- Down in Sacramento in the summer it’s plenty warm.  However, here in the mid Sierra’s (elevation 4500’), we were in the 20’s today.  As weird as CA is, that’s one of the reasons to live here.  You get to pick from all the climate types.  You can literally snow ski in the morning, drive a couple hours, and water ski in the afternoon.  Obviously not at this time of year.....

• Like 1