Jim anderson

Model year on C-125?

Jim anderson

Hello all, new to this forum and was looking for some advice on value.  In my area is posted a 1983 C-125 with blade attachment and mower deck. The unit looks pretty clean from the pic and the asking price is $950.  Is this in the ballpark, or too high too low?  Thanks in advance.

So fast forward to New Years Eve and my wife humored me and let me buy the tractor, so this is my first one.  I ended up getting everything including plow, wheel weights, tire chains for $680.  It had sat for a bit so wouldn’t start at first, add a little starter fluid and she lit off and purred nicely.  Just one puff of smoke on initial light off as would be expected for something that had been sitting, nothing else bad at all.  All gears shift nicely, engine is smooth etc.

So the reason I’m posting is that even though it was advertised as an ‘83,  I think it might be a 1981.  When I got home and went thru the papers that were included, they looked to be original owners manual and brochures that came with the tractor upon first purchase.  (Pretty cool actually.). So one of the included magazines is a Wheel Horse magazine, dated 1981, and has an article about 1981 design features.  Who knew that Jackie Stewart was their pitch-man at the time?  So looking at the VIN Number I come up with:  01-126803-25028. followed by:  2095. Hoping that someone can give me an idea if the tractor is 1981 or ‘83 or anything else.  

My my little disclaimer here, still figuring out how to post and read on this forum, so if I have double posted anything I apologize in advance.  Thank you all for the help!!

11771B97-B44F-494D-8806-A298260E824B.jpeg

9F6BA1F5-B3F3-4F2C-A48A-9B192CEC044F.jpeg

D17B45DD-D1D8-4707-A5E2-A53D3FB82E9F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

it's a 1982 model.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Nice catch and welcome to the addiction!!

And we're all to support you!!!!

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:wwp:

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:Im not an expert, but if Im reading the Model Year List correctly it is a 1982. Others will be along to confirm this.  

:text-coolphotos: of the literature, But  :wwp: of the tractor too.

01-12K803 1982 C Series Garden Tractor C-125 8-Speed Kohler K301AS-47742 12 Wheel Horse 103916

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Those numbers are not stamped very clearly.

Added your tractor to the list. Click on the picture

This one will take you to almost everything we have on this model in no particular order.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="01-12k803"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Garry

Jim anderson

Ok- 1982 is just fine with me.  Oh, just a little additional info: rear discharge mower looks to be in great condition, but I don’t have a lawn so will stay in great condition.  Just plan on mounting and using the snow plow.  Also, headlights worked initially, but don’t now.  Haven’t troubleshot yet but I’m guessing the fuse is the likely culprit?  I posted pics earlier, not sure where they ended up so here we go again:

FB927ACB-8B17-4CEE-B266-FBEF938BB02F.jpeg

CC97B974-D7DB-4255-A637-733203E4FD01.jpeg

19A487F0-9882-4503-A97F-5E8D8294B71E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

That is an amazingly clean looking 36 year old tractor and implements. 

Great purchase! There's lots of knowledgeable, friendly people here and no wrong questions. 

roadapples

Can't buy anything comparable today for that price. Older bulb sockets can be a PIA.:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Jim anderson

I suspect that they can, but two different times tried the headlights and both came on, now neither will.  Don’t think it can be both bulbs going out simultaneously.

midpack

more than likely a ground causing your lights to work occasionally.

Nice machine   ;)

• Like 4

cschannuth

Welcome to the forum and to the Black Hood family!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Jim anderson :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Nice machine with some attachments!

peter lena

hello Jim, I can relate to the black hoods, I bought mine new in 82, very stout machine, when mounting that plow frame , I usually attach at the rear axel first , giving you  the advantage of alignment and containment. I also use these spring clips   https://parts.ectts.com/hairpin-clip-hitchpin/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysKAyofQ3wIVg-DICh21fgsCEAQYAyABEgKAsPD_BwE  in the 1/8" holes on the lever arms to secure its mounting. if you don't use something ,you could possibly drop the rear of the frame, don't ask me how I know this , pete

• Like 2

rjg854

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the house of Wheel Horse.  This is the place if you're interested in getting the most out of your tractor.   BTW nice looking machine for its age.  So this is #1 huh? :ychain:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The Black Hoods are somewhat famous for grounding issues at the front head light bulbs due to the hood pivot. I found this out the hard way... Easy fix though...

Check your ground and redo it. Fixed my issue immediately... Also - watch for wear on the wires at the hood pivot point - mine was worn away pretty badly. The factory wire routing guy was either drunk or wanted return business on warranty calls!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jim anderson

Peter Lena-  Thanks excessively and in advance for the mounting advice on the plow.  I watched some videos trying to figure it out, suspect that I have a decent idea by now, but any professional advice is greatly appreciated.  First effort into removal of the deck, if there are any pro tips on that I am all ears.

To all who advised the ground on the lights, thank you too.  Not at my cabin right now to check on it, but I will be back in a week and hope to have lights working and plow mounted by the time I leave.  Of course I seem to always start with high hopes, and my 2 hour project blends into two days.  I do suspect I’m not the only one with that affliction.

cheers from the sierra’s in California!!

8431E0A1-D2ED-4A92-9E75-F5AB2472419C.jpeg

• Like 4

rjg854

Once you have mounted and dismounted the attachments a time or 2, you'll realize just how simple and easy it truly is. Wheel Horse really made that an easy task. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jim anderson

Rjg854-  yessir, first one.  Not too many out this way, so maybe an only child.

• Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS: The C125 is a great all around machine and a wonderful starter tractor. I have an 81 model that very quickly became my go to worker machine. Yours looks to be in very good shape for its age. You have definitely found the best place there is for anything Wheel Horse related, don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, I guarantee you there will be someone here who has the answer for you. 

Jim anderson

Thanks to all, i’m very happy to have landed here.  I know that I will be leaning on the expertise on this forum and plan on mining it as necessary.  Appreciation in advance to any and all that humor my lack of knowledge/ability, and put up with my stupid questions.  On the bright side, I’m not opposed to making my knuckles bloody as necessary!  

Humbly, 

jim

• Like 1

Tuneup

Fantastic to see another black hood and this doesn't appear to need anything other than a simple circuit check for the lights! Lucky, lucky!

Jim anderson

So I would like input on chains for the tires.  The horse came with standard type chains, but I’m wondering if those will chew up an asphalt type driveway?  Any inputs on “real” chains versus the rubber “band” type chains? Which has better grip, and would the rubber type protect my driveway better?  I need to get the plow mounted and to work, here’s a pic of our snowfall last night, getting close to two feet!

5EB9B303-5241-44A3-AD9F-29993E13BBDF.png

• Like 2

oldredrider

After marking up my driveway too many times, I switched to rubber chains. No marks whatsoever. Been running them for years now. Traction is just as good as with steel chains. I won't go back to steel chains for driveway plowing.

For dirt and mud, steel chains are fine.

• Like 2

Stormin

Nice C-125. I've an '82 and it's been my main worker, mainly on mowing duty for 7yrs or so. Under going a bit of a well earned re-fresh at the moment.

Jim anderson

Oldredrider-  Thanks for the input, I think you and a few reviews on the rubber “chains” have made up my mind.  Time to order the rubber!