JCM

Tractor storage

JCM

Do any of you RS members have any experience with cover-it/shelter logic type portable garages for storing WH products,and what are the pros/cons on these types of stuctures. My yard has a lot of clay [poor drainage], what type of base would you recommend. Thank you for your input.

Also would a quonset style be better than a garage style to shed snow 

Edited by JCM

953 nut

I don't have one of those, but to prevent rust and moisture problems you will want to put down a vapor barrier prior to adding any fill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

I bought a 12×20 in 2006 for temp storage for my mustang, here it is 2019 and 3 covers later and moving it to a new house it still going strong, I now have the heavy duty cover with 10 year rating and I added 2 rows of emt pipe along the roof to help with the snow load. that's the only pain is getting the snow off asap.  other than that it's a cheap ugly tent building.  I just have 3/4 crushed for the floor

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Quite a few of us have them. The biggest problem we see is how they will hold up to the uv rays of the sun. Mine is less that a year old so time will tell.

I used 3/8 driveway gravel under mine but if drainage is a problem you could elevate it a tad and use a larger stone for the base. This one was put up on a foot or better drop in grade in 13 ft so I used landscape timbers I had lying around to level it out. It's a Shelter Logic from Northern Tool ...20 x 13 I believe and holds a dozen + or - tractors given size of tractor.

20181013_115500.jpg

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

When I had mine,( 12 x 20 ) put down a tarp, then put down used pallets over the tarp and covered the pallets with 8' x 4' pieces of OSB. Made a nice easy, inexpensive floor and kept the moisture out. Added extra black steel pipe to the roof for snow load too.

Pros-- keeps your stuff dry, fairly easy to put up

Cons-- They're ugly, you need to knock off the heavy loads of snow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sparky

My 12x20 is on a wood deck. Pressure treated framing with an OSB wood floor. 

My tops last about 4 years before the sun and it’s UV rays wreck it.

My zippered front door quit as well so it now has a T-111 wood front with a hinges door. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, wallfish said:

When I had mine,( 12 x 20 ) put down a tarp, then put down used pallets over the tarp and covered the pallets with 8' x 4' pieces of OSB. Made a nice easy, inexpensive floor and kept the moisture out. Added extra black steel pipe to the roof for snow load too.

Pros-- keeps your stuff dry, fairly easy to put up

Cons-- They're ugly, you need to knock off the heavy loads of snow

I had one fail due to snow load, that melted a tad then received rain by the bucket.  A good 24” shop broom on the inside easily sweeps the snow off the outside.  That hut lasted 4-5 years before failure, purchased from Tractor Supply.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

I figure I get 4 years out of it is doesnt owe me anything. Mine is supposed to  be the "alpine" style and is supposed to shed snow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:scratchead: I've often wondered if a generous application of mobile home roof sealer...

would would buy you some time, and extend the life of these covers.  :confusion-shrug:

Image result for mobile home roof coating

• Thanks 1

stevebo
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

:scratchead: I've often wondered if a generous application of mobile home roof sealer...

would would buy you some time, and extend the life of these covers.  :confusion-shrug:

Image result for mobile home roof coating

Craig-

That will not work. If you are thinking about a coating then you need a urethane liquid applied coating. Problem is the cost of the coating is about the same as a new cover....

• Thanks 1

DennisThornton

Adhesion problems and lack of flexibility limits what coating would hold up.  Probably cheaper to replace the top but I'm all ears and anxious to be wrong! 

I have several buildings but also several tents.  Trick is to keep sun off the tents and the tarps will last up to 10 years.  Otherwise 3-5 up here in Northern NY. 

That trick is to place them in the shade!  Most of my tents are under big pines.  By the way, leave room between to allow for snow shedding and clearing. 

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I get about 3 years out of my 12X20  boat tent.     It's only up from April thru Oct.   I take the cover off when I close camp.

• Thanks 1

KC9KAS

I built a "foundation" out of railroad ties then filled with gravel. The framework is bolted to the ties.

It has been up for 6 or 7 years now. The cover is getting thin in places and probably needs replaced.

Best storage area for the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bottjernat1

For the cost i kept buying these cheaper things and i desided id be better off buying a shed. I ended up buying 2 sheds barn style when my dad passed away one i bought out right a 12x24 with a reinforced floor. the other is a 10x16 this is the best money i have ever spent. my 10x16 the payments are less then $100 a month. and they come with lifetime warranty on the roofs. and warranty on the door handles and hinges. I am very happy with what i have! Here is there web page they deliver and setup! https://easyrentalsllc.com/

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton

Can't beat the price and time required!  

Placing in the shade keeps the UV from wrecking havoc so quickly and reduces snow accumulation but I'm planning on adding metal roofing on purlins.  Heck, I might even side them.  Could even frame up the ends and add a real door! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
13 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Probably cheaper to replace the top

Guess I didn't know the tops were replaceable. Just like those canopies we use at tractor shows you can buy a whole new one for the price of the top..... E-Z ups anyway. I was also guessing that in 4 years when mine is shot it would be obsolete and a replacement top NLA.

Jeff @WVHillbilly520H has a all metal instant garage he likes and I will be looking into one of those someday. They would be nice for keeping firewood under cover as well as tractors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Guess I didn't know the tops were replaceable. Just like those canopies we use at tractor shows you can buy a whole new one for the price of the top..... E-Z ups anyway. I was also guessing that in 4 years when mine is shot it would be obsolete and a replacement top NLA.

Jeff @WVHillbilly520H has a all metal instant garage he likes and I will be looking into one of those someday. They would be nice for keeping firewood under cover as well as tractors.

Jim, here is the company I used, you have to find an area "dealer" to order  with 10-20% down then once the permits are in place they usually ship/erect/install within 6 weeks and pay the balance once standing...https://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/brochures... I'm sure there are others that may be better suited to your home state of Wisconsin.

• Thanks 1

wallfish

WHX??

Thanks Jeff, I found a guy local that has an auto body/repair shop that must sell these on the side. Be interesting if the same brand. Trouble is every time I swing in he ain't around. Looks alot like the one you have so might be. I wouldn't be beyond  having two, having one enclosed for machinery and one open for wood, splitter ect. 

Thanks John that looks like the stuff another member was touting the other day. Swore by it.

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1

Sarge

303 would go a long way to prevent the sun from eating one of those tops - go directly to their site, there are ways to get larger bulk amounts for use in your own sprayer.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant/

I should start using the stuff to prevent my outdoor tarps from rotting away - storing several tractors out in our Illinois weather gets expensive as most of them only last maybe 2yrs at most.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
7 hours ago, Sarge said:

303 would go a long way to prevent the sun from eating one of those tops - go directly to their site, there are ways to get larger bulk amounts for use in your own sprayer.

A gallon on there is $85.  Click on the Amazon link and you can find it for as low as $44 a gallon (128 oz)

It's not cheap but...

• Thanks 1

DennisThornton

303 @ $50/gal would be worth it if would add a couple years life. Heck a qt might provide one coat and if that added a year... 

WHNJ701

also too call shelter logic they are easy to deal with, the 10 year cover is pre sealed and very heavy duty and and for the money it be worth it rather than sealing the old one

buckrancher

best way to make the covers last is cover the top with the std flat tarps I have a 12x20 that put two 12x16 silver tarps on top(12 foot length ways will give over lap in middle)

then change the flat tarps every 2/3 years have had my original cover for ten years now by doing this

Brian

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
19 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

303 @ $50/gal would be worth it if would add a couple years life. Heck a qt might provide one coat and if that added a year... 

When I had my small one (8x10/10x12?) I used "Black Magic" vinyl protectant about a week before a bigger snow storm, the snow did slide off better than not treating it, maybe that's why it lasted more than a year as opposed not treating it :confusion-confused:, something is better than nothing...now if those tops were made from marine grade vinyl like truck bed tonno covers they'd probably last 10+ years.