The Tuul Crib

1067 rebuild

The Tuul Crib
7 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

First look at that first pic I thought what did that clown do to that rear bracket. 2nd pic shows the first is just the camera angle!

Look good and a good fix for another 50+ years. Nice job on smoothing out those welds!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Well it was a quick and easy fix and I figured taking stress of a little quarter inch metal pushing down on it by adding a collar on each end should help it some. Sort of spreading out the load. 

• Like 1

jebbear
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

Well it was a quick and easy fix and I figured taking stress of a little quarter inch metal pushing down on it by adding a collar on each end should help it some.

Looking good! I am kind of running into the same dilemma while working on my mower deck. Don't like hanging a whole bunch of weight of the entire deck merely on the edge of a piece of steel. Can't figure why they designed these things without adequate bearing surface to distribute the weight a little better.

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, jebbear said:

Looking good! I am kind of running into the same dilemma while working on my mower deck. Don't like hanging a whole bunch of weight of the entire deck merely on the edge of a piece of steel. Can't figure why they designed these things without adequate bearing surface to distribute the weight a little better.

That was my thinking on this fix here. All that weight in the front bouncing and moving around in those two holes from the pin in the quarter inch plate. I'm still going to try to drill some holes in them and put in grease fittings as well.luckily there's room in front to put the mule drive  that came on this old tractor,  not originally but the PO  had put one on it and got this bracket from somewhere but not sure .  Going to try and fit a new deck underneath whenever that time comes. 

jebbear

One thing I just noticed on your pivot pin, I assume that you made provisions to SECURELY get the bolt in the pin flange anchored SECURELY back into the frame? Notice the key word here, as it is my personal experience and believe others have experienced the same, that these bolts tend to work loose and fall out allowing the pin to rotate with the axle. One other thing I did on my restore, I pressed in a couple of bronze sleeve bearings in the axle casting where the pin rides through. Really tightened it up and if it does wear out, just press in a couple of new bearings and hopefully no new damage to the axle boring.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
On 1/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, jebbear said:

One thing I just noticed on your pivot pin, I assume that you made provisions to SECURELY get the bolt in the pin flange anchored SECURELY back into the frame? Notice the key word here, as it is my personal experience and believe others have experienced the same, that these bolts tend to work loose and fall out allowing the pin to rotate with the axle. One other thing I did on my restore, I pressed in a couple of bronze sleeve bearings in the axle casting where the pin rides through. Really tightened it up and if it does wear out, just press in a couple of new bearings and hopefully no new damage to the axle boring.

As far as the bolt  on the back of the pin I kept in place but replaced it with the shoulder stock bolt and will probably add some Loctite to the threads 

IMG_5135.JPG

• Like 1

Sarge

I always sort of go overboard - I've done the same thing but used bronze bearings to give the shaft a bearing surface as well as provide a bronze thrust bearing side against the axle itself. There is a tremendous amount of stress at those points and the only reason those parts have lasted as long as they have was due to the quality of the steel originally used by WH. Try that today with our polluted materials and you see why the newer equipment will never last as long. I fully bush the entire front axle at any pivot points - especially those steering spindles, which isn't exactly easy and requires some specialized tools. I'll bet the ones I've rebuilt will last 50yrs or beyond - at least far longer than I'll be around on this rock.

Sarge

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Today I had all my parts lined up and put the transmission back together. Now the hardest time I had was getting the little detent  balls to go in on the shifter forks I think I spent two hours. In the process I went to Napa and ordered the seals for it with no problems .

IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

Time for primer. Starting on the second coat first onewith etching primer the second  with automotive primer then sand ! And not the sand between your toes oh well!

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

And not the sand between your toes oh well!

You know how to change that, right?  Go south!  Go south!

The Tuul Crib
33 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Home Depot? Again?

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
35 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Sorry for the misspell!! Phones fault!

Pullstart
44 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Home Depot? Again?

I was thinking Florida or something, but I bet HD has beach sand!  :ROTF:

The Tuul Crib
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I was thinking Florida or something, but I bet HD has beach sand!  :ROTF:

That's inland sand!!

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Just got done painting a bunch of parts over the weekend lined them up taking a headcount I'm a little short on a couple pieces yet to weld up but this is what I have so far. Regal Red after two coats of primer. Hope to start assembly after paint sets awhile.

IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5225.JPG

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

The Tuul Crib

I put the shifter knobs on my lathe and spun em . Now they shine like a diamond in a goats ass!!

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The Tuul Crib

Starting to put it together today I did some touch ups along the way of the paint.  The anticipation is killing me!

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5271.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

RePainted the hood today and what do you attach O-Matic and fit the mule  drive. Still have a ways to go but I am making progress . Doing some dry fitting to see how parts fit as I go

IMG_5298.JPG

IMG_5299.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart

Forgive me if I missed it, what’s epaint?  Or is that a fat finger?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
33 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Forgive me if I missed it, what’s epaint?  Or is that a fat finger?

It's not really a computer term like email! I'm not sure what happened on the typo on that one I think I had one too many ling Ling's at that time. LOL :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Did a little more painting and a little more assembly. Motor should be here soon and hopefully come springtime be ready to mow!!

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Looking beautiful!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

Tootles lost his marbles, your tractor lost his nuts and bolts!

• Haha 2

The Tuul Crib

All cleaned and chased the threads ! All 

with in reach. Does look like it took a

big...... well !  Lol! I'm sand blasting my 4.80 x 8's today. I really like the almond 

color.

Guest 88vic

Hey Crib, im at Exmark school today. Im going to try and see if the big wigs can talk mama toro into bringing back the real wheel horses again. Dont hold your breath but im gonna try like hell 😂😂😂