The Tuul Crib

1067 rebuild

WHX??
12 minutes ago, WHEELHORSEFAN3 said:

he has a 701 that I want

Oh yeah??? What's yer address again Crib I didn't catch that.....:ph34r: :lol:

The Tuul Crib
25 minutes ago, WHEELHORSEFAN3 said:

Its gonna be a road trip, crib and I will be doing some "horse trading", he has a 701 that I want !

Wait what?.....

oh ya!! Huh

The Tuul Crib

Got home today and cleaned off this PTO clutch and it was so caked with rust  that I thought there was no hope. Pulled it out of the electrolysis bucket cleaned it off and Wala ! The bearing spins perfectly and it is the one I will need for  this tractor to be correct.  I will need the correct drive pulley to put on the motor which didn't come with this tractor. Does anyone know the correct part number for this 1067 for the pulley,  and maybe where I can find one?  I will also need the PTO control arm and mounting bracket 

IMG_5078.JPG

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Randy I don't know the part number but I'm pretty sure Lincoln sells those from A to Z.

Seems to me you're going to need one that's got maybe four holes in it? Half inch belt. 2 and 1/2 inch diameter.

WHX??

A-Z would be a good look Crib or let me know if I need to check my stash. You will need one with the four 1/4-20 holes if you plan to run a PTO. The bracket and whole nine yards I got coming out my keester. 

The Tuul Crib
44 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

A-Z would be a good look Crib or let me know if I need to check my stash. You will need one with the four 1/4-20 holes if you plan to run a PTO. The bracket and whole nine yards I got coming out my keester. 

Gary just sent me some PDF files and part numbers.  One is a clutch rod with part number  4355 and the other piece is what mounts to the motor. It's called a  plate and rod assembly part number  6653. I'm searching ebay but not finding much.

Thanx for help! I will check with  Lincoln 

@  at A to Z

Randy

The Tuul Crib

So yesterday I got the frame all cleaned up and mostly primed and came to this point where the pin through the axle was a little warn out. The hole is rather large and will definitely have to address the issue. Thoughts of repair ?? Best solution?

IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_5110.JPG

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

So yesterday I got the frame all cleaned up and mostly primed and came to this point where the pin through the axle was a little warn out. The hole is rather large and will definitely have to address the issue. Thoughts of repair ?? Best solution?

IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_5110.JPG

Randy, look at the thread by @jebbear on his (856?) Restoration.

He does some extremely fine work there.

Some of it is dedicated to the use of bushings in various places.

It's a great read.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Randy, look at the thread by @jebbear on his (856?) Restoration.

He does some extremely fine work there.

Some of it is dedicated to the use of bushings in various places.

It's a great read.

Any ideas how to find that thread 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Great thanks Eric!!

ebinmaine
Just now, The Tool Crib said:

Great thanks Eric!!

You got it !!!

jebbear
12 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Thoughts of repair ??

Not sure of what all that you have access to in the way of tools (welder, lathe, etc), but as Eric mentioned above, the repair that I did on mine came out rather well if I do say so myself. I can’t figure out how to post a direct link to the page with this crazy iPad, but if you find my thread, it’s on the 3rd page of posts. The fix was pretty basic, but did require torches to braze the bushings in and a lathe to make a new pin. If you need any additional info, be glad to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I did the bushing thing in my 1067 build but with no welding. A welder I am not. I drilled the hole out to 7/8" or 1" and loctited a   x 3/4 oil lite bushing in. The pin & plate are available from Toro yet & reasonable. I think it was about 15 from a toro dealer. Other guys here make the pins as well. 

20161218_153840.jpg

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
6 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I did the bushing thing in my 1067 build but with no welding. A welder I am not. I drilled the hole out to 7/8" or 1" and loctited a   x 3/4 oil lite bushing in. The pin & plate are available from Toro yet & reasonable. I think it was about 15 from a toro dealer. Other guys here make the pins as well. 

I might steal this fix in the future myself, I'm only good enough at welding to take two piece of metal and make them stick together.....it isn't pretty lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

It works pretty slick Mike. I had to buy a cheap set of large drill bits but got my use out of them on my build. Step bits work too. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8pc-Jumbo-Silver-Deming-Drill-Bit-Set-1-2-Inch-Industrial-Large-9-16-to-1/261661210693?hash=item3cec393845:g:dy8AAOSwC-taAgWS:rk:1:pf:0

Had to grind and fit the bushings and get creative with bushings all over my 1067. Just one of the ways to replace missing 50 year old metal.   Sounds like The Crib has Jeb's and my distaste to slop.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WHX21 said:

Sounds like The Crib has Jeb's and my distaste to slop.

Very understandable. Same here. Trina's 657 and my Cinnamon horse are both low hour tractors which is awesome.

I actually have not tried to use any bushings on anything yet but it is certainly another skill that I'll have to be picking up soon.

• Like 1

jebbear
7 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Sounds like The Crib has Jeb's and my distaste to slop.

I agree 100%. With all of the bushings that I stuck in my project, it's almost back to brand new or even tighter. The only slop that I couldn't find an easy fix for was between the fan gear and the steering pinion. It's not enough to even attempt to do anything with but everything else came out really good. The neat thing with bronze bearings, hopefully it will preserve the base metal and if anything does come back just pop in a new bearing.

• Excellent 1

jebbear
8 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I'm only good enough at welding to take two piece of metal and make them stick together...

Believe me, I'm in the same category. I usually try to braze things when I can, I did develop a little bit of a touch for that. But my welding :eek:, leaves a lot to be desired. Often wondered if I could do any better with some of the newer wire feed welders, cause all I have is an old AC/DC stick welder. I have even done a few welds with my torches, but not pretty!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, jebbear said:

Often wondered if I could do any better with some of the newer wire feed welders, cause all I have is an old AC/DC stick welder

My father is basically like Mike above. He can make two pieces of metal stick together for enough time to get the job done and maybe have somebody come over and do a better repair.

As long as I've ever known he's had an old stick welder around.

a couple years ago he bought a cheap HF wire feed welder and he hasn't used the stick welder since.

I can't speak for it myself having never used it but he would definitely tell you to go get one.

jebbear

I've often looked at the HF ones, I sure don't need anything any more than that for all I do (or attempt to do). I never even held one in my hands so I sure don't even know what to expect but I guess I always assumed that it would be at least a little easier to use. Maybe I'll bite the bullet one of these days & try it out.

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

I have some ideas for this fix on the front axle pin slop .when I get it done I'll post the progress. This will take some thought!

Pullstart

When I graduated high school, my open house cash went to my he purchase of my Lincoln 135 Plus mig, with a cart and a tank.  Most people thought I was a fool.  I think it was a smart move.  That welder has long since paid for itself, and has never needed anything but tips, wire and gas.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Here is the fix that I come up with for this frame on the 1067 added a collar in front and back and made a new pin which ended up being a little longer but it sure took out the slop!

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

First look at that first pic I thought what did that clown do to that rear bracket. 2nd pic shows the first is just the camera angle!

Look good and a good fix for another 50+ years. Nice job on smoothing out those welds!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1