upstate yank

got the bug again

upstate yank

well guys i did it again ;bought another horse which is less then an hours drive ;i question myself as why i do this but anyways the seller wanted 150.00 for everything i was able to get him down to 75.00 for all ''

yes the motor has been changed out and it is a pull cord type ;the seller said it is a 7 horse but i won't be sure till i see it tomorrow ;it is a model 875 according to the decals on the hood' really i'm not sure even if it will start after tinkering with it but parts are always good'

check it out and thoughts would be appreciated

or should i walk away ;and yes the sifter lever is on the seat not sure if it is busted or just came off '

thumbnail_20181226_112921.jpg

thumbnail_20181226_113146.jpg

thumbnail_20181230_115351.jpg

thumbnail_20181230_115355.jpg

thumbnail_20181230_115359.jpg

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice patina on that one, price was right.

Glenn

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

We all question ourselves and there is no definitive answer to it. It's the thrill of the hunt and when you get home the fun begins! All you can do is knock a wall on the shed and add more square footage for another !  Looks like it originally had a  Tecumseh engine to begin whith by the color of the tank.Congrats keep us updated!'

• Like 1

upstate yank

thanks guys and yes i am going to have to build another shed as now this makes 8 will it ever end ;sure better then the scrap yard ' as far as the motor once i get it home i can have more time to check it out ;at times we need to be in the right place at the right time ; i will keep you posted 

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:              You got a good deal there. Don't worry about your new found addiction, you are in good company!

1532176187_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.03075e1167a81bad79f7a5c68516392c.jpg

49 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

sifter lever is on the seat

If it has just pulled out there is an easy fix.

image.png.8b935e2c9ab1a0ccbd97bf7c864deb7b.pngimage.png.7b991256269b001d20a004b028007a0e.png

If your shift lever comes out of the transmission or is stuck in one gear first back out the “Dog-point” screw that retained the shifter. Take a look in the hole the shifter came out of to be sure it is in neutral as shown above.

image.png.fd4afa22db37ac588e0fed1e73602381.pngimage.png.ab49acff2fa5be239fd68f104f4894b2.png

Inspect the dog-point to be sure it is in good condition and back off on the locking nut a couple of turns. Insert the shifter and run the dog-point into the dimple in the shift lever collar snugging it up with an allen wrench, don’t tighten it. Be sure the shifter works smoothly then tighten the lock nut while holding the dog-point steady with the allen wrench.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@upstate yank The 875 is one of the 1st hydro tractors Wheel Horse made.

It would have had a 8 hp Kohler, electric start, and the hydro transmission. 1965 was the 1st year of the hydros….875, 1075.

• Like 1

upstate yank

yep i'm sure at one time it was a kohler and has been changed 

the thing is this one is a standard not the hydro type but heck for 75 i'm happy;the next step is to get it to start and figure out why the rope is all of the way out ;it could be a simple fix thanks for the input  

upstate yank
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:              You got a good deal there. Don't worry about your new found addiction, you are in good company!

image.png.8b935e2c9ab1a0ccbd97bf7c864deb7b.pngimage.png.7b991256269b001d20a004b028007a0e.png

If your shift lever comes out of the transmission or is stuck in one gear first back out the “Dog-point” screw that retained the shifter. Take a look in the hole the shifter came out of to be sure it is in neutral as shown above.

image.png.fd4afa22db37ac588e0fed1e73602381.pngimage.png.ab49acff2fa5be239fd68f104f4894b2.png

Inspect the dog-point to be sure it is in good condition and back off on the locking nut a couple of turns. Insert the shifter and run the dog-point into the dimple in the shift lever collar snugging it up with an allen wrench, don’t tighten it. Be sure the shifter works smoothly then tighten the lock nut while holding the dog-point steady with the allen wrench.

thanks for the input i will know more about the shifter tomorrow once i get it back home and yep i think i did good as well with the price of everything ;i will keep you posted 

ol550

Maybe it's my eyes, but I see 657 0n the hood.  An 875 would be a hydro.

• Like 1

upstate yank
5 minutes ago, ol550 said:

Maybe it's my eyes, but I see 657 0n the hood.  An 875 would be a hydro.

yep you are correct it seems my old eyes are bad as i thought i read 875 ;boy its though getting old ;thanks for bring that to our attention

stevasaurus

I was seeing 657 also...good eye Mike.  The 657 would have had the 6 hsp Tecumseh.  Nice horse, put a K-181 8 hsp Kohler on it and change the sticker to say 857.  :occasion-xmas:  The 657 is more on the rare side though.

• Like 1

upstate yank

thanks guys and for sure it is rare but it seems pictures at times do not show everything as i did leave this morning to pick it up as it was only about a 45 minute ride but i came home with out it as i mentioned the gear shift was laying on the seat so after raising the seat i noticed the shiftier was busted right off where it sets inside ;there is no way to fix it as it is so rusted even the dog point  screw that holds it in and trying to remove it for sure that would bust as well ;i checked the tires and the fronts were good but the back ones well split around the rims torn apart really ;the owner said he would try to weld the shiftier back on but really i have my doubts ; now if he can repair it for sure i might consider going back ;the pull cord cover is busted as well ; the rope will not go back in as he says the spring might be busted inside  ;again some just show pictures of  the good things not the bad things ;plus there is a battery tray but no starter on the motor or wires even if there is a key switch ;sure it is old and the price was right but the cost to bring it back to life would be quite steep ; dragging it out of the woods after 20 years of sitting well weather does bad things to this oldies ;

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

upstate yank

yep it just about made me cry as well 

WHNJ701

75 bucks for all that and you didn't buy it?  it's still a great buy just for the parts, the 2 mower decks are worth it

Edited by jabelman

upstate yank

the offer is still there as the owner is going to try to fix the shiftier and let me know; so it is not a wash out just yet; besides sure the pans might have been worth it and i am sure they were but really what good is the tractor if you can't shift it and the pull start is busted ;and there were really no parts i could use on my others i have being a 6 horse; plus not knowing if the motor is any good ;tires are shot as well ;again it is not a wash yet ;the pans sure i could use the parts but it was a package deal '

1969-charger 10 automatic

1998-14 horse magnum standard with a tiller -chains and deck

1974-B-80-2 decks complete

1972-commando 8 with deck

1967-model 1076 with deck and plow -automatic 

model unsure ;8 horse briggs with the deck pictures attached

00k0k_6RG7HfkU4V0_600x450 (1).jpg

00g0g_fY3RMzuj3DW_600x450.jpg

00O0O_1ypYHSGeJ52_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

upstate yank

i wanted to ask if any other collector might have  the complete shiftier for this wheel horse as i would still like to have it but really what good is it if you can't shift from one gear to the other 'sure the pull start cord will not work but that could be an easy thing to fix 'the tires in the rear are really no good and they would be expensive to replace but as the old saying goes Rome wasn't built in a day ;sure i could use the decks plus parts ;i am sure one collector might have the shiftier ' ;sad that this oldie sat in the woods for over 20 years;so i hope one of you guys might be able to help me with the shiftier 'thanks guys 

thumbnail_20181226_112921.jpg

thumbnail_20181226_113146.jpg

thumbnail_20181230_115351.jpg

thumbnail_20181230_115355.jpg

thumbnail_20181230_115359.jpg

upstate yank

well i talked to the seller and we are still on as working out a day to pick it up ;in times i know i can get the shiftier and fix the pull cord ;heck it will be a long winter and it give me something to tinker with ;so really it is not a lost ;again if any other member might have a shiftier that would be great

stevasaurus

I'm sure one of our vendors...A to Z would have the shifter.  Easy find and inexpensive.  I would drain the trans, take it off the horse and open it up.  Even a badly rusted transmission can be salvaged with electrolysis.  It will take about $150 to replace all the bearings and seals.  Open it first and show us some pictures.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

upstate yank
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm sure one of our vendors...A to Z would have the shifter.  Easy find and inexpensive.  I would drain the trans, take it off the horse and open it up.  Even a badly rusted transmission can be salvaged with electrolysis.  It will take about $150 to replace all the bearings and seals.  Open it first and show us some pictures.  :occasion-xmas:

thanks for the reply and yep i am sure that A-Z would have the part i have bought from them before and was very happy with the fast shipping and the prices; now i need to set a time and day to meet the seller and put it on the truck and bring it home then i will have the time to check it out ;i hope once the shiftier is replaced it will move ;and yes i always drain  the transmissions 'thanks again 

• Like 1

upstate yank
On 1/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, stevasaurus said:

going to meet the seller tomorrow around 3 and load everything on the truck ;then have time to check everything over ;will this ever stop i don't think so as you can't beat a horse ;grew up on them and years back i had 6 different models and most attachments at times i could kick my self for letting them go but being on the road for years i didn't have the time to enjoy them but heck i am back to do it again collect and restore a few ;life is good 

upstate yank

well guys the old girl is here 

it sure is going to take a lot of elbow grease to clean it up' the carb for sure will have to be rebuilt'the seat well frame rusted to bits but at this time that is the least of my worries as trying to get the busted part of the shiftier out and not busting the dog screw as it is rusted really bad ;oh for sure it will keep me busy ;but at  least it isn't going to the scrap yard ;the decks are alright but the pulleys are froze up 'again in time ;Rome wasn't built in a day  as the old saying goes '

• Like 1

upstate yank
59 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

well guys the old girl is here 

it sure is going to take a lot of elbow grease to clean it up' the carb for sure will have to be rebuilt'the seat well frame rusted to bits but at this time that is the least of my worries as trying to get the busted part of the shiftier out and not busting the dog screw as it is rusted really bad ;oh for sure it will keep me busy ;but at  least it isn't going to the scrap yard ;the decks are alright but the pulleys are froze up 'again in time ;Rome wasn't built in a day  as the old saying goes '

i forgot to mention also that at one time there was a starter on the motor as the bolt holes are there so many once i get a few things cleaned and hopefully fix the recoil i will find a starter for it .and yes fix the shiftier ; good things come to those who wait 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
6 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

i forgot to mention also that at one time there was a starter on the motor as the bolt holes are there so many once i get a few things cleaned and hopefully fix the recoil i will find a starter for it .and yes fix the shiftier ; good things come to those who wait 

That's a Tecumseh I may have a starter for you send me a PM 

953 nut
21 hours ago, upstate yank said:

Make sure the flywheel has teeth for an electric starter. I had a generator with a pull start Tecumseh, bolt holes were there but no teeth on the flywheel.

upstate yank

Make sure the flywheel has teeth for an electric starter. I had a generator with a pull start Tecumseh, bolt holes were there but no teeth on the flywheel.

thanks so much for the input 'i have not yet checked that but i will 'as now i am soaking the linkage for the carb as they are frozen up plus the brake pedal and the dog screw on the shiftier ;plus the pedal that engages the deck what a mess really ;the cables we all know after time get rusted so bad they need to be changed but that is normal ;the seat which is no good i tried to remove it but it seems the previous owner used a block of wood and attached it to the seat pan ;the bolts are so rusted and even with heat from a torch they are so stripped 'i am going to take this slow;i should had looked closer even the deck as the pulleys are frozen up and they will not turn even trying to remove the blades ;even though it is a rare horse made only one year the best thing was for the seller to keep it in the woods for another 20 years as i am so disappointed ;i might remove the motor and scrap the rest as it is not really what i expected even though so many here mentioned that i would be foolish not to take it for  75.00 ; but only

if they really knew the issues ;'but i am not a quitter ;in time it will work out as again Rome was not built in a day ;

i really appreciate you being so helpful