LengerichKA88

A couple K181 questions.

LengerichKA88

@clueless, I ordered the gasket today, and it’s not even gunna ship until next year!! I couldn’t believe it! So, it’ll be a year before I get to it 😂

I’ve got a couple leads on a full set of engine tins, so that’ll be sorted soon too hopefully. Then we can get em on and doing their job. 

• Like 2

moe1965

Before installing your head gasket run a tap down all the holes to get all the **** and crud out of them and might give you a false reading on your torque

• Excellent 1

oldredrider

Adding, after chasing the threads, blow out the holes with compressed air. Use Never Seize on the head bolt threads.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

Thanks gents, I will keep all of that in mind 👍🏻

Tuneup

You've come to the right place. If you're 'handy', there is enough information and expertise to get it done on these tractors on this list. I've repaired and rebuilt an 8-speed tranny with this list's help. Great gang. Had your same problem on a 12HP. No top tin. eBay was my friend for that one. Who knows how many hours were spent running it hot! That got me into the engine which is a more familiar area and a nice $120 rebuild. Life is good with Wheel Horsies. Enjoy it - and double check the beer tabs in the fridge.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

Head gasket came in yesterday, so hopefully some time in the coming week I’ll be able to tackle it. I’ve got the top engine Tin coming in the mail from some mountain man in Maine 😂:ychain:, the front piece that I was “missing” was hiding in the tool box. 

Ive got a long list of things to get to, so I hope it doesn’t get shuffled too far down the list. 

If anyone would like to lend a hand with rotors, pads, and drums on a HHR, then dive into working in the Horse that’d be great!😂

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

Well, a little behind schedule, but I finally got the head off. This is what I found: 

48145BF9-9DE8-41C1-922E-6CBE9120D049.jpeg

F438A174-E211-442A-A096-29F27D29D6BF.jpeg

926F8BBA-5CED-4D21-AE2D-EFC900666F25.jpeg

CFB1EC5E-A4D5-48FE-BF25-0F191BB5C234.jpeg

2CAF1242-990A-4D9D-B44F-36B4433868C0.jpeg

It appears I may have more on my hands than just a head gasket, so before slapping the new one on and calling it a day, I figured I’d post and ask: Where should I look next? 

Edited by LengerichKA88

LengerichKA88

Also, if I remember correctly @ebinmaine mentioned that this engine looked like it was built for something else originally, since it has a mix of studs and bolts. 

Has anyone ever ever run into an engine like this, and if so: Did you delete the studs for bolts? 

I would like to throw all new bolts on it, but I know I can’t just got to the bins at TSC and grab any ole one. What are your recommendations? 

LengerichKA88

Some additional pictures 

CF0B2DC3-ED16-4A20-BB49-839ABDFA3CBA.jpeg

CF9CB060-9721-4A8B-AFA7-6979ACE2FEBE.jpeg

24FF1FFA-6173-4FCC-AAB0-CB4C164E366B.jpeg

25BCEE92-E942-4B59-836C-A974B147EC3B.jpeg

stevasaurus

I think I had 3 or 4 studs in both of my K-181-S.  You need a few to be able to torque the head and then to nut down the tins for the air cooled part.  I would not worry about the studs...just torque the nuts on the studs. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

How was it running?

Good power?

Smooth?

Using oil?

I've seen worse looking engines clean up and run well.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I think I had 3 or 4 studs in both of my K-181-S.  You need a few to be able to torque the head and then to nut down the tins for the air cooled part.  I would not worry about the studs...just torque the nuts on the studs. 

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

How was it running?

Good power?

Smooth?

Using oil?

I've seen worse looking engines clean up and run well.

This is the first time I’ve ever done this, so at first I thought this was indicative of a bigger problem. 

As far as the studs/bolts go, I’m going to have to punch some holes in the tin I got from @ebinmaine, but that shouldn’t be a problem. I was hoping to do away with the studs for uniformity sake, but I’ll leave em Be. 

Other than percolating the oil out of the top, it’s presented no other issues. Doesn’t run rough, usually fires right up on the first turn. I think I’ll get her cleaned up, new gasket, oil change, and call it good. 

Ive been using WD40 foaming degreaser and a hard plastic scrapper. Soak, scrap, repeat.  It’s cleaned up quite a bit. 

CAA2CE84-E0B9-4B84-83A6-A02C134537C2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Remember to sand the old aluminum head flat as described in an earlier post by Stevasaurus.  Since it looks like that gasket was leaking a while I suggest you check the top of the engine.  After you sand the head flat, reinstall it without the gasket and lightly snug all the head bolts and nuts up.  Take a set of feeler gages and see if you can get any between the head and top of the block.  I'll let the pros chime in as to whats too much gap for this type check.  I suspect 0.003 (with out a head gasket) is definitely good, maybe even a little more.  Looking at your picture the top of the engine surface where the head gasket sets looks to still have some carbon on it.. This surface should be clean metal.  You might try some carburetor cleaner to see if it will help dissolve that carbon ( almost any brand will work except the environmentally friendly junk from Home Depot))

If you happen to have the carburetor pulled off, now would be a great time to check and adjust the valve clearance.  Good folks on hear can walk you through it.  If not, it can be done latter without pulling the head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

@oliver2-44, I plan on sanding the head down, I just need to find/go get a suitable piece of glass. 

The carbs not off, but it can be. We might just go ahead and knock that out too

LengerichKA88

I also just realized: I forgot to mention that the original gasket was still in place in the 1st photo of the original post, here’s how she sits now. Still some gasket material, but I’m going low and slow with this, as space is limited and I’m in no rush to work it. 

4E53B64F-4365-4BA7-8FBD-329754795D74.jpeg

• Like 1